Thread: Adam ruins everything - glasses

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Adam ruins everything - glasses

https://youtu.be/h7H-_8UkmFU

Nothing we all didn't know already but out there for a new generation to see. I still carry rayban because my customers demand it but that is all the lux that touches my store. Oh well, can't hate on the video what they are saying is true.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been tagged in this video numerous times already. The part I'm disputing is that this is causing people to view the onliners even more favorably because "there's no difference". It lumps all optical professionals in with the corporate greed. :/
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Absolutely know where you are coming from, I've had that conversation with customers. That has always been my beef with the 20/20 special and the WPkr guys rhetoric. Im not a mall store though and at least they mentioned the actual chains. Glasses are not a commodity in their truest form though

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's not even funny. And it's a load of crap.

Luxottica may be vertical (and I hate that, too) but they are not monopolisitic in the sense that their frame prices are in line with other companies. If they truly cornered the market, the frame prices would be going up artificially. They're not.

That's a "humor" website, so I can forgive them for not knowing crap. But they cite "Forbes" and "60 Minutes" and the sloppy reporters should have known better.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

That's not even funny. And it's a load of crap..........................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

That's not even funny. And it's a load of crap.

Luxottica may be vertical (and I hate that, too) but they are not monopolisitic in the sense that their frame prices are in line with other companies. If they truly cornered the market, the frame prices would be going up artificially. They're not.

That's a "humor" website, so I can forgive them for not knowing crap. But they cite "Forbes" and "60 Minutes" and the sloppy reporters should have known better.

Seeing the markets change visibly by the near minute on a world wide basis, who, and when, is going to win out ?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Answer: whomever pays the government the most.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Why did the focus on B&M retail optical chains and not even mention online consolidation? Seems like an attempt at a hit piece on store front optical more than anything else. If they were smart, and wanted optical professionals to promote this "story", they should have said at the end "Despite the apparent 'dominance' of optical chains, and the growing consolidation of online eyeglass providers, there are alternatives, such as your local independent optical store who maintain diverse, hand selected and evaluated, high quality frames and lenses for a variety of patient needs, high-end boutique brands not found in large chain stores, and personalized service that doesn't end when you pick you your glasses but a continued professional relationship. They are also not beholden to a large multinational corporate master" I guess that's asking for too much...
    Last edited by Lelarep; 09-16-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    And for some reason it was about frames, but continually referred to as 'glasses'. I guess lenses aren't really worth talking about?
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I so have a love/hate relationship with these pieces. As Bill pointed out, they refer to the glasses.. not just frames. "Why does two pieces of plastic cost so much?" That is a direct reference to LENSES and not frames.

Reading the comments and such, people can't seem to separate the lenses from the frame. Comments about how little eyeglasses have changed since the days of Ben Franklin really irks me. Come on people!

Think about the costs involved in even creating a new lens design. How to get it to market, the tools needed to fabricate it, the software to make it possible, etc.

That needs to be reclaimed somewhere..

Wonder when the expose will hit highlighting the amount of online retailers who are all owned by a lens company that also has several frame companies under its belt.. along with OTC brands. Oh, and over 4000 Vision Source affiliated docs who are thus "partnered" with said company. That's not even counting the number of private offices and local chains being paid to sign contracts to only use/promote their products.

I find the vertical integration on the lens side way more scary than the frame side. I don't have ANY Lux or Marchon/Altair in my office. However every Insurance company out there makes it difficult not to get Essilor branded products.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was entertained by the comments for at least a half hour. Small gauge on the general public's view of our industry.

cs

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post
    I was entertained by the comments for at least a half hour. Small gauge on the general public's view of our industry.

cs

The comments make me sooo angry! I just want to educate the masses about how lasik, contacts, and buying online are not the answer for how to not give $ to Lux!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation

I guess lenses aren't really worth talking about? ..................................

Quote Originally Posted by other_bill_fea View Post

And for some reason it was about frames, but continually referred to as 'glasses'. I guess lenses aren't really worth talking about?

you got a good point .......................however I guess it is a natural that glasses without lenses are not of much use. Actually the more frames are sold the larger the lens sales.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    I so have a love/hate relationship with these pieces. As Bill pointed out, they refer to the glasses.. not just frames. "Why does two pieces of plastic cost so much?" That is a direct reference to LENSES and not frames.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure they said "Why does a simple piece of plastic cost so much."
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure they said "Why does a simple piece of plastic cost so much."
    And they compared a "simple piece of plastic" to the technology of a cell phone. As if there was no technology associated with the glasses because they're just a simple piece of plastic! I let that sink in as I was watching the video with my Camber lenses.

Occupation
    The point is, whether its a simple piece of plastic or a simple assembly of metal parts I don't think that there is a frame on the market that costs in access of $25.00 to manufacture.

The added costs on every frame that you purchase are:Advertising - You pay for the booth, booze and broads at Vision Expo and all the pretty ads in the trade publications.
    Licensing - You pay royalties to some obscure character whose name you believe will actually add value to your tatty little optical shop.

Liability insurance - Someone has to pay the trial lawyers and that someone is you.

Import duties & VAT's - Every time a frame crosses a border some government is getting a cut of the action.

Transportation and distribution - It does cost a few Yuan, Rupees, Rial, Pesos or whatever to get stuff shipped to the US from wherever. Once here you gotta warehouse it, package it and ship it.

Commission - Ya gotta pay the poor salesman something. Don't forget the third party payer either. It costs a lot of money to administer these eyeglass plans.

Unsold Stock - Remember that in many cases you will have to pay for all the obsolete, unwanted and unsold inventory in the vast warehouse.

Returns - Whether guarantee, warranty or consignment, someone has to pay for the goods and that someone is you.

Profit - After all these and other sundry cost there must be profits to reward the stockholders for their risk. The percentage of profit on any given frame is set by the frame vendor and is usually what the willing buyer will pay.

This might, in part, explain why a $5.00 piece of acetate ends up costing the consumer $500.00.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper There is also another variation to explain ................

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

This might, in part, explain why a $5.00 piece of acetate ends up costing the consumer $500.00.
    There is also another variation to explain, when looking at the same frames sold on the internet for three to five times the $ 5.00.

The optician charges for future no charge services, as warranty, checking, advice, free adjustments forever, $ 200.00 to $ 300.00 out front.

The better his work and quality service, the less his customers will use up these paid out front warranty funds and it becomes pure profit.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's also fairly important to mention that even the least expensive frame is far from a "simple" piece of anything. While there is a wide variance of quality from brand to brand and material to material, ophthalmic frames are highly specialized devices. There is nothing "simple" about them.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper It's also fairly important to mention ........................

It's also fairly important to mention that even the least expensive frame is far from a "simple" piece of anything.
    You are right, ......................I would even go further

Even better, is that any frame on the market is a semi finished product. It needs a good lab to make and insert the lenses properly, and last a seasoned optician who learned how to fit and adjust the frame to the patients head, face and ears so it fits perfectly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    And they compared a "simple piece of plastic" to the technology of a cell phone. As if there was no technology associated with the glasses because they're just a simple piece of plastic! I let that sink in as I was watching the video with my Camber lenses.
    True, the cost for a stock non coated CR39 is next to nothing......CR39 can be sold for next to nothing and still be profitable,

BUT you start adding to that simple piece of plastic and it's no longer an apples to apples comparison.
    Much like Medical equipment and pharmaceuticals.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's also fairly important to mention that even the least expensive frame is far from a "simple" piece of anything. While there is a wide variance of quality from brand to brand and material to material, ophthalmic frames are highly specialized devices. There is nothing "simple" about them.
    Hi AngeHamm, your name has been referred to me by several members of Optiboard. I was hoping you could pm me? We are new optical owners in Virginia and could really use your help. My husband is the doctor in our practice and has spent his entire career in ophthalmological settings void of opticals. We have many questions regarding insurance billing in an optical. Can you help?

Thread Information