Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patient's Own Frame Usage

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Patient's Own Frame Usage

Hi,
    We are having alot of patients wanting to use their same frame when getting a new RX. Their frames have been in good condition. I have been discussing with the OD to try and discourage them from using their own frame. He says he can't think of anything more he could say. He doesn't want them to walk because we are pushy. So if anyone has any refreshing points to share we would appreciate them!!!

Thanks,
    GJ

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Most people with a prescription would be REALLY hurting if their glasses BROKE - so I always point out the benefits of having a usable backup pair of glasses handy.

If they are in good condition, and they seem to love the frame, how about putting reading Rx, computer Rx, distance Rx (whatever) in it...with a complete new pair? We do offer a modest discount when using a COF along with the purchase of a complete new pair.

HTH

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Life is not all greed and commissions, if there is no reason to suspect that the frame is near death. Use it and be glad they got thier lenses for you.

Life is too short to worry about the sale you did make, because it was not enough.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Chip, :D

I couldn't agree with you more, do you remember when that patient (s) came back to you after filling an Rx in there existing frame be it one lens or a pair, and the patient was so happy that he/she was not "talked" into a new complete pair of glasses?
    Yet when in need of that new frame or complete with Rx, I'll bet that patient remembered you and came back to you to get that new pair.

Or, how about when you did that free frame repair/solder/nose pads etc. without charging the patient. (in the old days) ;)

I will bet that you still have that patient as well as there entire family with all the friends that that patient told about how YOU took care of them and meet there needs without pressure of buying something that was not absolutely necessary.

Think about how many patients you have gained by not overselling, talking (the patient) into something that was not necessary (case by case of course) and now how much $ and new patients you have gained by that one patient!

Good things come back to you if you treat your patient's like you want to be treated.

It is very refreshing to hear that some of us still believe in good old fashion dispensing and not get that "fast buck and have a good day."

Your new "old" friend
    Robert

:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Although i agree with both chip and robert, in reply to your initial question, you could price any special offers on frames as "complete price". Your complete price could be frame and SV lenses. If they wanted premium lenses or bifocals/varifocals, they just pay the difference. That way they dont qualify for the discounted frames unless they buy lenses as well. I find that customers tend not to look to pedantically at the fact that the offer 'forced' them into getting frames and lenses, instead they are more keen to know how much they have saved.

Of course all this is only applicable if and when you run a promotion.
    curiosity killed the cat...well, in that case i should be dead soon

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also agree with Chip's line of thought...a little something is better than a lot of nothing. The benefits of doing a customer a favor sometimes far outweigh the bad things that happen in this profession.

Bob V.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If the frames in good condition, what are you going to do? I always stress the warranty points. Obviously if your own frame breaks your kind of stuck, so it's always possible to work out a good price on a complete and lenses only. Looking out for their best interests right?

Good points. However you must remember to always tell pt. if COF breaks you will not be responsible. Rarely happens, but good to protect yourself.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oddly enough we had a COF break today in dispensing. It was a frame purchased from us about 2 years ago. I was a little surprised but we replaced it with current stock. We also had one yesterday that wasn't purchased from us. Out of luck bud but of course he was able to return the lenses. Damn 30 days!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I do "forty dollars off a complete set of glasses".

Gives the incentive for the new frame.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    eyeGJ,

Welcome to OptiBoard! :D You've jumped in with a good topic!

If a patients own frame is in good shape, we usually don't push them to purchase a new one unless they have a script that really warrants them having a back-up pair.

If the frame is not so great, we usually offer $50 off a complete pair purchase.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We normally try pointing out the necessity of a good back up pair, or try to have them turn it into a sun pair.

We also point out that we are not responsible if the frame breaks, and if the frame does break at some point after 30 days, then they would be out the cost of the lenses too when they needed to replace that pair.

Before we accept any COFs we will perform an inspection on them, and any weakness will be noted. I have flat out refused a few, tried to put it politely by saying something along the lines of, if you see how this joint wiggles, it shows that the solder there is weak. Do you really want to spend $XXX on lenses to put in a frame that will not last a year? I'm sorry but I just can't use it in the lab, and I would hate to see you lose that money on lenses with no frame..

At that time we will normally mention whatever promtion we may be running at the moment, or our "you can get 90days same as cash" ie.. Hey use your Lenscrafter card so you will spend more money on eyewear and then pay us interest as well!!

Cassandra

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jubilee,

Years ago, didn't you guys have a nice little form for COF's? You used to be able to use it even if you were completing a repair on a questionable frame. I think it had a few lines where you could write out your evaluation of the frame condition and it offered some type of discount if the patient ordered a complete pair if the frame had a poor evaluation.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: Patient's Own Frame Usage

eyeGJ said:
    Hi,
    We are having alot of patients wanting to use their same frame when getting a new RX. Their frames have been in good condition. I have been discussing with the OD to try and discourage them from using their own frame. He says he can't think of anything more he could say. He doesn't want them to walk because we are pushy. So if anyone has any refreshing points to share we would appreciate them!!!

Thanks,
    GJ

First Industrial 4th-Quarter FFO Falls
    Thu February 13, 2003 12:03 AM ET
    CHICAGO (Reuters) - First Industrial Realty Trust said on Wednesday its fourth quarter funds from operations fell and it does not see improvement in real estate industry fundamentals in 2003.
    Funds from operations, a common measure of real estate investment trust performance, fell to $42.2 million, or 92 cents per share in the fourth quarter compared with $44.2 million, or 96 cents per share, a year ago.

------------------------------------------

When you get daily news items like the above from all sides, people are cutting back. One pair of glasses instead 2 or 3.

Use the old frame for for a new prescription. Repair the old frame. During hard times when the public is holding back one should not be pushy on sales or you will be known for it and family and friends will go to the OTHER place understands the economic impact.

Sell them some necessary additives like a tint or an UV and do it yourself to make up on profits.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Another thing you could do is offer to tint their old specs if the lenses are fairly scratch-free. Because they are tinted, a slight difference in prescription will not easily be noticeable.

Off course the above only applies if they are buying new specs as well!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo said:
    Jubilee,

Years ago, didn't you guys have a nice little form for COF's? You used to be able to use it even if you were completing a repair on a questionable frame. I think it had a few lines where you could write out your evaluation of the frame condition and it offered some type of discount if the patient ordered a complete pair if the frame had a poor evaluation.
    Only one store I worked in actually had a form for the patient to sign. Most stores did way with them. Sometimes I really wished though that we had them again...Especially when you get those patients who go on about "this frame is 10 years old, I love this frame, no one ever had a problem putting lenses into it before..." and it is an old rolled plastic frame, all white with the plasticizers up to the surface with cracks all along the eyewire

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In those cases we do one of two things.

If the frame looks like it will disintegrate if you even touch it, we are willing to lose a sale and let the patient walk.

If the frame might have a 50/50 chance of making it, we tell the customer we strongly advise against using the frame. If the patient wants to use it, all lens warranties, except AR scratch coat, are void. We are not responsible for replacing the frame if it breaks and while we will discount the base price of a lens if the patient has to choose another frame, enhancememnts may be additional since the lens is custom made (usually only done on multifocals and surfaced SV).

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

just curious....

How many of you have recently,

Resoled a pair of your shoes,

Had a pair of pants (that you wear regularly) patched,

Upgraded (ie: installed a new processor or RAM, not purchased new) your computer.

Kept your cell phone when your plan ran out.

Sure, all those things are still useful to an extent, but isn't it nice to have new things that you use everyday.

Styles do change from time to time and I would rather have my patients get compliments for their new frames than be told to get new glasses by their friends and family.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: just curious....

Jedi said:
    How many of you have recently,

Upgraded (ie: installed a new processor or RAM, not purchased new) your computer.
    I have.

Unless the frame is in bad shape or out of style by two decades, I would still rather see folks buy lenses only in our store then decide we are pushy and expensive and get their next pair somewhere else.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Up front and honest; it's the only way. We explain the pros/cons matter of factly, and w/out selling. If they use their old ones and the break in two weeks, you'll have a new frame,plus another lens sale.

What's the problem ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb frames

:idea: I agree with what Jo says, however i would caution about safety frames, as you could wind up with a liability issue in that situation.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: frames

harry a saake said:
    :idea: I agree with what Jo says, however i would caution about safety frames, as you could wind up with a liability issue in that situation.
    You said it. We have faced more than one angry person when they find out that we won't even touch a safety frame that they have drilled the rivets out of to get the side shields off. Most of our safety accounts require permanent side shields and their employees know this. If an employee drills the temple, the companies won't pay for a new frame in the same calander year; the cost of a replacement frame has to come out of the employee's pocket.

Bad address email on file
    We occasionally call our competitors, posing as inquiring consumers, and ask about their exam fees and frame and lens prices.

I was very surprised to find that one chain (or at least the one particular location that I called) charges a fee ($10) for the patient to use his own frame and have new lenses put in it. We don't charge for the patient to use his own frame again. Do any of you?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One store I worked at did. It was called a "pattern" fee. Since we didn't have a pattern maker and we had to cut the pattern by hand if we didn't have one in the drawers, it wasn't too unreasonable.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    i have worked for 2 large chains in the UK. They both charged £20 for putting new lenses in a patient's old frame. One of the places even offered a service of placing the patient's old lenses in a new frame if the old lenses could be edged into the new frame. This was charged at £20 as well if i remember rightly.

Thread Information