Thread: Less expensive fresnels

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Less expensive fresnels

Any resources on press on prisms that cost less than $XX each? haha Hilco is killing me!!

edited to take price out, you guys all know what they cost!!
    Last edited by becc971; 09-06-2016 at 01:22 PM.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish... I feel like the price has really gone up. Not sure what you guys charge the patient for a fresnel, but I feel like we don't charge enough. With shipping on the fresnel and to cut them etc... I feel like we undercharge. We don't stock fresnels. It seems like when I do, I never need the one I have in stock.... it's always some weird one. Figures.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I wish... I feel like the price has really gone up. Not sure what you guys charge the patient for a fresnel, but I feel like we don't charge enough. With shipping on the fresnel and to cut them etc... I feel like we undercharge. We don't stock fresnels. It seems like when I do, I never need the one I have in stock.... it's always some weird one. Figures.
    thats what makes it tough, if we're using it for a test run before grinding lenses we don't :( and that bums me out!! And same here, it seems like its NEVER the ones we have!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can go direct to Fresnel, but you have to put a stock in to get the good pricing. I think it's around 50 prisms.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    You can go direct to Fresnel, but you have to put a stock in to get the good pricing. I think it's around 50 prisms.
    50 would be a lot for us. We would end up with a bunch we don't need and still end up needing to order one in. Bummer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ^-- Same here ... we try to have common ones on hand but lately they've been funky!!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    ^-- Same here ... we try to have common ones on hand but lately they've been funky!!
    becc- Maybe edit the first post to $$/ We charge $60 but think it should be more. The problem is for many it's just temporary.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    becc- Maybe edit the first post to $$/ We charge $60 but think it should be more. The problem is for many it's just temporary.
    yes very true we've had some funky ones come across lately and its almost to the point now that it would be more cost advantageous to remake the lenses a few times than keep trying press ons!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Lately....depending on the case, we will skip the fresnel and just have the prism ground in. If the amount of prism is less than say, 6 prism diopters, and is single vision, or a flat top, and CR or maybe poly, the cost of just surfacing the prism is cheaper than a Fresnel. If the prism Rx works and it is going to be permanent, then you can resurface the lenses in the permanent form and material.

Of course this won't work with high prisms, or patients that couldn't get along with a single vision instead of their progressives for a trial period.

Thread Information