Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warrenty or not?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    It's odd logic to get free glasses, wreck them (whether on purpose or accident), and then be irate when told they cost "x amount of dollars" to replace. Maybe I'm getting old and cold hearted.
    Some people just project frustration and anger anywhere but where it should be focused. Its a defense mechanism that helps them cope with the fact that they are upset with how their lives are (in this case it is just them breaking their glasses, but this psychological phenomena is found throughout human interaction.)

That being said if they will admit fault I will do my best to replace it at cost plus a 50 dollar edging fee.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Not sure why you would do this and loose money, are you a non profit? Most likely an employee that didn't really loose the cost, just the owner. Police would have paid, cost of doing their job, city or town dollars to replace these the same as they pay for other equipment.
    Of course I'm not a non-profit. I did a nice thing and replaced his glasses AFTER his department wouldn't pay for them. (der) BTW you meant "lose" money not "loose" it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    Of course I'm not a non-profit. I did a nice thing and replaced his glasses AFTER his department wouldn't pay for them. (der) BTW you meant "lose" money not "loose" it.
    Employee right?, not your money you gave away. Sorry for the spelling mistakes, cost me nothing as opposed to your employer. He/she paid for your free give away. Nice things don't pay the bills, lunch time now, off the clock..
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 09-03-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Depends on the customer..........
    The profit and the customers are worth it, and the higher end customers treat their stuff better anyway and demand less of me in the way of warranty.
    Nice

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=optical24/7;528245Keep in mind; Each client/patient is worth around 10k (on average) in revenue and referral over the course of their eyewear/care needs. I plan on keeping them)[/QUOTE]
    Not sure how you came up with this number, as we are very transient society. Ten grand, $600 every 2 years, about 33 years, if they don't move. Still don't give anything away, don't get it, never will.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Time to move on, fence down, power out for 9 hrs, hermine a bit worse than we expected. Prosperity for all, many opinions on what is right, no wrong answer.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If you are an employee, follow company policy, do what you are told. If you own the business, do whatever you please. The employee answers to the boss. The boss answers to no one, although both parties ultimately answer to the customer for he is the one who controls the purse strings and can take the purse elsewhere.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not sure how you came up with this number, as we are very transient society. Ten grand, $600 every 2 years, about 33 years, if they don't move. Still don't give anything away, don't get it, never will.
    Mark, it's not 10k only from that one client's purchase, but combined with their referrals. Happy Mom refers her husband, who refers his friend who brings his family in...10k is a conservative estimate.

Hunker down and be safe my friend. I hope you don't get any more damage.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As a retail "salesperson" in a leased space I can say......if there is a visual acuity issue, I problem solve that. Sometimes, as we all know, they don't like the frame they picked out, and will make up stuff, and I will uncover that and have to restyle, or refund! The previe is a warrantie. The other, is a basically an insurance policy that I sell at retail chains at purchase. EPP! Eyewear Protection Plan, that covers everything from date of purchase except for loss or theft. This covers puppy chewed, bird pecked, Windexed, paper troweled, stepped on, ran over, and yes fell in the wood chipper glasses. I know I have forgotten some. But, you have got to bring me an identifying part (wood chipper- honest guest), so actually know these are the insured glasses. No, the insurance is not renewable, or I'd never sell another pair of glasses Forever. Currently, with most insurance plans, their is a co-pay that I divulge at sell.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Time to move on, fence down, power out for 9 hrs, hermine a bit worse than we expected. Prosperity for all, many opinions on what is right, no wrong answer.
    No power, fence down, you got this, Smile please.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    1. Offer slightly more than they would receive had they purchased their glasses on the Web.

2. Don't expect the lab to warranty them under any type of stupidity clause; that's an insult and bad for business relations with your suppliers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about this folks:

NO "warranties".

On ANYthing.

EVER.

Make sure your lens and frame suppliers know you'll never return a product to them for a warranty either, and that you want their absolute BEST pricing - period. Dump the "insurance" companies as well. And perhaps even offer your clients a discount for cash payment in house. Then make sure that anyone comes in knows and understands that they are responsible for the proper care of their optical product.

And at the end of the day, you could lower the average pricing of an average shop by 50-60% overnight, possibly even more - and still be more profitable.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    How about this folks:

NO "warranties".

On ANYthing.

EVER.

Make sure your lens and frame suppliers know you'll never return a product to them for a warranty either, and that you want their absolute BEST pricing - period. Dump the "insurance" companies as well. And perhaps even offer your clients a discount for cash payment in house. Then make sure that anyone comes in knows and understands that they are responsible for the proper care of their optical product.

And at the end of the day, you could lower the average pricing of an average shop by 50-60% overnight, possibly even more - and still be more profitable.
    WAKE UP UILLEANN! WAKE UP! It's just a bad dream, the security blanket just fell on the floor, it's still here. No one will take it from you, you "need" it.

Lol

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Right! ;)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've actually had an expert quote $17,000, not $10,000 in revenue from a lifetime patient. Referrals, referrals, referrals.

It is, in my opinion, an enormous mistake to treat these transactions as a "dollars today" issue. I've said it before and I'll say it again: We are selling a relationship more than anything else. I want this patient to return to me every time. I want them to refer everyone who ever comments on their glasses to me. I want them to volunteer my practice's name without being asked. Above-and-beyond warranty service is the best customer service tool we have.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ^^^ Andrew gets it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I've actually had an expert quote $17,000, not $10,000 in revenue from a lifetime patient. Referrals, referrals, referrals.

Lol.....please qualify the use of the the word expert.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it may also depend on your customer base. I know where I am now I could not do that. However, I think if i were at a higher end store perhaps I could. I still wouldn't do it as a warranty. I would make sure they knew it wasn't covered under warranty but since I understand their frustration and would order them a replacement as a courtesy. I would even offer to adjust the lost pair when the wear them in to pick up the replacement. ;)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Many years agoI learned to say .......................

Many years agoI learned to say :

You purchased a top product from us and now that they broke you want it replaced for free ?

When you damage your bicycle, your car, you motorcycle while using it should the seller replace or fix it for free, if it is not a manufacturing defect ? No chance you have to pay for it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel so bad that people can not see well, I just can't bear to charge them any longer. It's not their fault, it's just wrong that I can profit from these poor souls. I am going to quit charging for glasses PERIOD! I am going to be the nicest guy in town! For about a month!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its amazing that people don't understand why some things/places charge what they do. Nordstrom's didn't get known for their ridiculous return policy by charging cheap prices, offering two for ones, or working with third party wardrobe companies out of a fear customers wouldn't come in to their stores.

But the flip side is also true. Companies like Southwest Airlines strip all the fluff and offer amenities on a piecemeal basis. One would be very hard pressed to say they haven't run a successful company for the past 5 or so decades. Simplify, offer solid knowledge and skill, and offer the best products at reasonable prices. Make sure your clients understand that warranties (and out of control managed care fat cats) are why others charge far more for the same product, and often inferior knowledge/skill. They'll appreciate your frankness, you'll save time, and you'll BOTH save truckloads of money.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even Southwest has some perks.. like up to 2 free bags to check in. Their competition charges for those..

I know our shop is not the cheapest in town. I admit I have frame mark ups that are higher than most. However that is to help me have the funds in place to offer a 1 time, no questions asked remake at no charge. I explain to patients that it doesn't matter if the dog gets a hold of them, if they are ran over, destroyed by fire.. if they can bring me the pieces, I will get them a replacement. After that, its manufacturer's defects.

Our kids do have a free frame replacement if lost too. Then 30% off lenses.

Even if the insurance completely paid for the first pair, with how we purchase .. chances are I can replace everything and still not slip into the negative. However that is because I have very few frames that have a frame facts price of close to the average wholesale frame allowance that I actually pay anywhere near that amount for.

For private pay I have some very competitive packages, and in some cases our insurance people will use those to get back up glasses, and use the insurance benefit for contacts. I make more $$, they save more $$... win win
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not sure why you would do this and loose money, are you a non profit? Most likely an employee that didn't really loose the cost, just the owner. Police would have paid, cost of doing their job, city or town dollars to replace these the same as they pay for other equipment.
    <Banging head on desk..can't take any more>

You don't "loose" money. You LOSE money. LOSE = present tense of lost; to misplace, to become gone. LOOSE = not tight.

"If the noose is loose, we'll lose the moose."

Now back you your regular programming.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by plculver View Post

You don't "loose" money. You LOSE money. LOSE = present tense of lost; to misplace, to become gone. LOOSE = not tight.

Thank you! That stuff drives me nuts too. There They're their... it'll be OK...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While you are being critical of others, please explain what you mean by: Now back you your regular programming.
    Quote Originally Posted by plculver View Post

Thread Information