Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warrenty or not?

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Warrenty or not?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but would you cover a pair of glasses under warranty that have been ran over by a car and are completely smashed and in pieces? What about one week old glasses chewed to pieces by a dog? If it makes a difference, what if both of the situations were glasses that the patient paid no out of pocket due to VCP, so we most likely would lose money replacing the glasses?
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If we're going to lose money, no. Especially with VCP.

If I could somehow warranty the lenses and frame without being billed, I would consider it on a case by case basis. If they are repeat, it's genuinely the first time something like this has happened, etc. sure I would do it, and let them know I'm doing them a favor. If they habitually do this sort of thing, I'll do 50% off, and let them know I'm doing a break even sale to do them a favor, and keep us from losing money.

Or, maybe I get a wild hair, we're doing really well, and I just throw up my arms, and it's free time for everybody. It's one of the few things I have control over, so I reserve the right to be a petty tyrant about it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Continue to generate zero revenue, cash that paycheck, nice "job". My shed caught fire, destroyed my nearly new zero turn Deere , it doesn't work, I want my warranty to run for 5 years to get me a new one. Oh, that's right, I made so little on the first pair (insurance, no out of pocket), I will bend over to save this bottom feeder from going somewhere else in the future.

Licensing won't make this better, business 101 would.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, the answer is: what does the warranty cover?

Find out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They aren't covered under any manufacturer warranty obviously. That's why I asked if anyone would redo them out of the kindness of their own heart at the expense of the business?
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well... that definitly would not be covered under warranty. Our office would give a standard discount, but since they were just purchased I would (with mgr approval) give a larger discount. Maybe charge them cost?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

In my book there is a full warranty against manufacturer's defects, and bad craftsmanship and no more, and the time limit should be a couple of month, to come back to get it fixed at no charge.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a warranty on my car for a set amount of miles so if my car doesn't start I call the dealership. That is something that falls under manufactures warranty. However if I crash my car into a tree I wouldn't call the dealership because that isn't a warranty issue. That falls under insurance. In my opinion a warranty covers normal wear and tear and defects. Glasses should hold up to everyday life. Being ran over, being chewed on or lost does not fall into the scope of warranty. I would say something like this. " oh, no I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that is not something I can replace under warranty but as a courtesy I can over you X% off if you would like me to order those glasses again for you." Why should I take the hit for a patient being careless?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    I have a warranty on my car for a set amount of miles so if my car doesn't start I call the dealership. That is something that falls under manufactures warranty. However if I crash my car into a tree I wouldn't call the dealership because that isn't a warranty issue. That falls under insurance. In my opinion a warranty covers normal wear and tear and defects. Glasses should hold up to everyday life. Being ran over, being chewed on or lost does not fall into the scope of warranty. I would say something like this. " oh, no I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that is not something I can replace under warranty but as a courtesy I can over you X% off if you would like me to order those glasses again for you." Why should I take the hit for a patient being careless?
    +1 agreed

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Well... that definitly would not be covered under warranty. Our office would give a standard discount, but since they were just purchased I would (with mgr approval) give a larger discount. Maybe charge them cost?
    That's how I do it...cost, plus an a small administrative fee, the latter waived for my best clients. It's not going to bleed me, and a little kindness and compassion goes a long way if we expect to have long term relationships with our clients.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's odd logic to get free glasses, wreck them (whether on purpose or accident), and then be irate when told they cost "x amount of dollars" to replace. Maybe I'm getting old and cold hearted.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Plus... people never listen to the "before insurance" price. So when they loose their insurance or are not eligible, they get irate about the price. "But last time it was just $40 and now you want $600?" The worst are the people with Davis. Here, the highmark employee plan covers poly prog in full and Davis frames in full. So when they want a second pair and have to pay, they're in shock. I always make sure to tell them what the total is before insurance. So they understand the value if the glasses get lost or whatever. They never listen though.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    It's odd logic to get free glasses, wreck them (whether on purpose or accident), and then be irate when told they cost "x amount of dollars" to replace. Maybe I'm getting old and cold hearted.
    They never associate a monetary value to their glasses because to them they are free or only cost a copay. Also some chains will replace them for nearly any reason.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 agreed as well.

I have only done that one time for a police officer who had his glasses run over when they flew off into the street while he was on a foot pursuit. Lost money on that and gladly so, but I LOVE the car warranty analogy and will use it in the future. =)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They never associate a monetary value to their glasses because to them they are free or only cost a copay. Also some chains will replace them for nearly any reason.
    I beg to differ on this, they sure do pay attention to the "value" their optical put on their Eyewear before "insurance ". I used to do a ton of repairs and adjustments for tourists, sit on them,step on them, baby got them, got it all. Most would be sure to inform me, after hearing I am not responsible for breakage, just how much they cost not mentioning they were actually "free". "Those cost $800 dollars," yeah right, you got ripped off. Our own worst enemy, ourselves. Put a stupid high price on something, discount 70% to insurance, then expect people will actually pay that when not covered, and loose money to keep them happy. Ingenious.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    +1 agreed as well.

I have only done that one time for a police officer who had his glasses run over when they flew off into the street while he was on a foot pursuit. Lost money on that and gladly so, but I LOVE the car warranty analogy and will use it in the future. =)
    Not sure why you would do this and loose money, are you a non profit? Most likely an employee that didn't really loose the cost, just the owner. Police would have paid, cost of doing their job, city or town dollars to replace these the same as they pay for other equipment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ironically, people who buy junk online glasses always feel they have received a great value, even when the prescriptions are wrong, frames are wanky, lenses are falling out of the bevel, paint chipping, seg heights and PD's way off, and ugly styles on top of it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a very respected member here that has multiple locations and is extremely successful. He even warrants loss....For 2 years! I don't go that far, but will cover most any breakage/scratching for 1 year........AND...........I self warrant!

Call me stupid, but I have three locations, don't take insurance, don't advertise and have an extremely loyal clientele. The % of folks that we do replacements for are so small that this policy costs us an extremely small amount. Customer service and quality products are our hallmark. Nordstrom's not going broke and neither are we.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I don't go that far, but will cover most any breakage/scratching for 1 year........AND...........I self insure.
    Driving over them ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Driving over them ?
    Yep, did one about 6 months ago. I also got 2 new patients by direct referral from this client since then. Keep in mind; Each client/patient is worth around 10k (on average) in revenue and referral over the course of their eyewear/care needs. I plan on keeping mine here, and get them to refer.

We have about a 5% "warranty" return rate BUT it accounts for less than 1% of revenue. ( most war. work is not a complete replacement of glasses, usually 1 lens or part.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends on the customer. The point of offering warranties and other service is to provide value and encourage their repeat business. If the business is basic insurance only, there is no reason to fight for it. If it's a premium customer who gets what I recommend and whom I want to see again year after year, I will do whatever I can to help them out and keep them happy. Even if it costs me something, their loyalty and continued business is worth it. That said my official policy on all but my most premium products is 1 year 1 time free replacement in cases of normal wear and care, which covers me and gives me right to refuse replacement of obvious abuse, and discourages frivolous scratch replacements. My absolute top of the line products I offer 2 years repair/replacement as needed for just about any reason. The profit and the customers are worth it, and the higher end customers treat their stuff better anyway and demand less of me in the way of warranty.

I in fact just had a customer who bought a $1200 pair from me almost 2 years ago. She was distraught that they were broken and scratched after a head-butt from her toddler. She came to ask the cost of replacing them, and nothing made me happier than to tell her I would happily do it for free. She was stunned that I would do that, and so very appreciative. She since sent her husband in and I made him a $1000 pair, and I know there is no way she will go to anyone else for her next pair. That's worth my cost to replace.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a very loyal customer who's dog chewed her brand new glasses. I offered replacement at cost. She was happy to let me know she took the chewed pair and made a pintrest with her dog eating her glasses. I had to laugh.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper discount 70% to insurance, then expect people will actually pay that when not covered

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

Our own worst enemy, ourselves. Put a stupid high price on something, discount 70% to insurance, then expect people will actually pay that when not covered, and loose money to keep them happy. Ingenious.
    I just love this post, and it makes perfect sense.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never mention warranty at the point of sale. If they come back with an issue -see what you can do and what it will cost you. If it's nothing - tell them you got a favor this time and they don't have a charge. If it's something - cover your costs in the kindest way possible. Either way, make it clear it's what you can do under unusual circumstances. The goal is to retain your patient without going broke or taking advantage of them.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    The worst are the people with Davis.
    Absolutely. Glad we dropped it.

Thread Information