Thread: Single source for "Optical Shops" for sale...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Single source for "Optical Shops" for sale...

Anyone know of a site that specializes in retail opticals for sale?

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkRanger View Post
    1+ that place is great!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously- A rep was in yesterday and in passing said he had an account tell him a shop in the area was for sale. The account wondered if anyplace online existed to get general information.

I guess a google search is the best option.

Or perhaps Steve could add beneath the headline on the forum page of Optical Marketplace "Optical shops?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Anyone know of a site that specializes in retail opticals for sale?
    No market for them, most opticians content with working for OD 's. They sell the parts, if they can, and go away as no one will pay the "value" they put on their business, usually a crazy number, and not worth it.

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nm, reread your post.
    Last edited by PartTimer; 09-02-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: I said good day, sir!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimer View Post
    Nm, reread your post.
    ? Not sure what you mean here.

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    ? Not sure what you mean here.
    Sorry, should have been more specific, or just deleted.

I had something to share until I reread Mr. Fester's initial question. I have now caused a lengthy paper trail and contributed nothing.

As an act of contrition, I will spend the next hour reading random pages of Brooks/Borish and copying them down by hand. In cursive.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper There are always the accounting books ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

No market for them, most opticians content with working for OD 's. They sell the parts, if they can, and go away as no one will pay the "value" they put on their business, usually a crazy number, and not worth it.
    There are always the accounting books, to prove what kind of a turnover you made in business for sale.

You also sell a successful business of reasons like old age, death or being sick.

Otherwise the only other would be having a high turnover and no profits, at which point you could only sell to a manufacturer or a lab, who would purely use it to move merchandise.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There are always the accounting books, to prove what kind of a turnover you made in business for sale.

You also sell a successful business of reasons like old age, death or being sick.

Otherwise the only other would be having a high turnover and no profits, at which point you could only sell to a manufacturer or a lab, who would purely use it to move merchandise.
    Value vs. Price. Still not there.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Facebook is a surprisingly good place to move any number of products, including practices. Not a clearinghouse for them, but I've seen quite a few of them on OD on Facebook, as well as Opticians on Facebook.

OBX is right though, really not much market for opticals. On the 15th, I will be closing an office that has been running profitably (250k gross w/2 employees) for the last 15 years. Reason for closing - can't find good opticians. I've advertised here, facebook, Craigslist, Indeed, and other places, and only get so-so responses. The last 2 I hired quit or were fired because they'd rather text their kids/friends and/or cruise social media than work. I'm not even going to try to list it for sale...not worth the hassle. I've made what I'm going to make on that offices, and it's time to move on. Definitely now one of our stronger offices, but again, I blame that on shallow hiring pool.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Facebook is a surprisingly good place to move any number of products, including practices. Not a clearinghouse for them, but I've seen quite a few of them on OD on Facebook, as well as Opticians on Facebook.

OBX is right though, really not much market for opticals. On the 15th, I will be closing an office that has been running profitably (250k gross w/2 employees) for the last 15 years. Reason for closing - can't find good opticians. I've advertised here, facebook, Craigslist, Indeed, and other places, and only get so-so responses. The last 2 I hired quit or were fired because they'd rather text their kids/friends and/or cruise social media than work. I'm not even going to try to list it for sale...not worth the hassle. I've made what I'm going to make on that offices, and it's time to move on. Definitely now one of our stronger offices, but again, I blame that on shallow hiring pool.

In the area of the shop you are closing, have you done a reverse net income calculation for the two employees and opticians you want to hire ?

Take the net pay of the two employees and calculate if they could raise two children, pay the mortgage on a modest home, finance two cars and college for the kids, pay two credit card bills per month, car insurance , yearly vacation, retirement funding, food, gas, and have something left over ?

After doing that calculation, is there another reason for a small labor pool ?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    I have a few other offices (9), and the pay is not the reason. In this case, it's an office that although it is technically a city, it is a rural area, and getting there is an issue. That being said, there are factory workers who drive much farther for less than $25 an hour (plus bonus, free CEU, pd. licence fee, trips, etc). There are just very few opticians in this part of the state who are looking for full-time work, and who are the caliber of worker we are looking for.

Occupation
    Traditionally, optical businesses were bought and sold by word of mouth through networking. When you were approaching retirement age your colleagues were standing by with the resources to acquire your store. Of course this was back in the day when most eye care businesses (opticians or optometrists) were not owned by large corporations which is a whole new kettle of fish.

Today a successful business should have no difficulty in finding a willing buyer among their local community of eye care businesses.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    In the area of the shop you are closing, have you done a reverse net income calculation for the two employees and opticians you want to hire ?

Take the net pay of the two employees and calculate if they could raise two children, pay the mortgage on a modest home, finance two cars and college for the kids, pay two credit card bills per month, car insurance , yearly vacation, retirement funding, food, gas, and have something left over ?

Lol, is anyone able to afford to send their kids to college these days? $52,000 is the average U.S. salary, $42,927 is the average Optician salary. If Johns is paying $25 per hour and the employees are working 40 hours/week, they would be paid much higher than the average Optician. I'm in a small market so things are different here but I wonder how much idispense is paying his/her people?

I remember one of the local optical shop owners complaining that the people from the chains were extremely incompetent Opticians and how hard it was to find people that are worth 50k/year. Maybe it's like that everywhere?

Occupation
    [QUOTE=idispense;528293]Take the net pay of the two employees and calculate if they could raise two children, pay the mortgage on a modest home, finance two cars and college for the kids, pay two credit card bills per month, car insurance , yearly vacation, retirement funding, food, gas, and have something left over ?
    QUOTE]

You left out Federal, State and local taxes and fees. How about health insurance? Those items come off the top before you ever get a chance to pay for all the items that you listed.

It ain't your employers responsibility to buy you a house , a couple of cars, a vacation, or pay your kids way through college. Neither is it the governments. You are only responsible for working a job and taking care of your needs with your own wages. Not making enough - time to get into something else.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just sold my very successful business after 37 years. Didn't get anything close to what I thought it was worth. Do all the math you want, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. I have NO regrets. There is little room today for the independent optical. There are so many obstacles like corporate opticals, big box, insurance companies, online eyewear, APPRENTICESHIP etc. I'm glad to say I overcame it for all those years and now its time to move on. Good luck to all. Get what you can. If you are like me, it would have killed me to just lock the doors and walk away.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedude View Post
    Just sold my very successful business after 37 years. Didn't get anything close to what I thought it was worth. Do all the math you want, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. I have NO regrets. There is little room today for the independent optical. There are so many obstacles like corporate opticals, big box, insurance companies, online eyewear, APPRENTICESHIP etc. I'm glad to say I overcame it for all those years and now its time to move on. Good luck to all. Get what you can. If you are like me, it would have killed me to just lock the doors and walk away.
    Nice to hear! I have no plans on selling, but plan to give the business to the employees, keeping a small stake in it, and renting the buildings to them. They make money, I make money, and the business goes on.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper I have no plans on selling, but plan to give the business to the employees,

congratulations on the above 2 posts.

Thread Information