Thread: Frames for Babies

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Question Frames for Babies

Hello, first time poster here! Web browser was kind enough to log me out and delete my first attempt at posting this, so let's try again.

I received a text last week from my cousin that her daughter, who I believe is turning one this month, needs glasses. The baby's vision insurance does not start until January, so she came to me first as I have some discounts I can give her.

However, when I sent her a photo of the baby/toddler frames we carry, which are essentially just itty bitty glasses with comfort cable temples, she responded that she had more of a goggle style in mind, where the frame fits snuggly around the baby's head, which we do not carry. Is there a benefit of one type over the other? I imagine the goggle style seems more secure - I'm sure we're all aware of the obsession babies have with removing glasses and I doubt their own faces are the exception - but I haven't worked with them myself and want to know the pros and cons of different frame styles.

Cost aside, I'd rather send her to another location if they're going to have the product she needs. On that note, any recommendations for the Rhode Island/Connecticut area on opticians experienced with fitting our littlest patients? Worse comes to worse, I can still buy her a backup pair from our shop, which would cost me a whopping $30 (if I skip the AR coating, which I feel is a good move given how fast these things are going to be scuffed up - lots of fearless, adventurous babies in my bloodline).

Any input is appreciated! I don't have her Rx as I'm more concerned about the frame part for right now, but I can get it if needed.

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kids by Safilo is a nice baby line. The bridge fits a baby flat bridge and has library style temple that wraps and comes with a band you can custom fit that won't fall off. Pretty reasonably priced too.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have had a ton of success with Miraflex frames. they have a variety of colors, and are held on with a strap.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clearvision dilli dalli new frames are much like Miraflex and they are in the process of adding larger sizes. I just fit an eight month old and two young boys in them. The issue I have is the rounder styles allow the lenses to rotate, which can be a problem. I've had to mark frame and lenses with a permanent marker. I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue?
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I second Miraflex. We have had great success with these frames. They are super durable and the kids look so cute!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lafont just came out with 3 frames for babies, which has been a popular answer to Miraflex at my store.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    3rd vote for miraflex. They are very reasonably priced as well

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Swing Eyewewar

Have you heard of Swing Eyewear?

Swing prescription glasses are made with Tr-90 Natural technology, which provides 100% anti-bacterial and anti-allergic qualities that bring advantages for the use of children. Swing frames are non-deformable, unbreakable, coated with organic paint and only 3-5 grams in weight. The smallest is a 38 eye size and the cost is in your price range!

Feel free to contact me should you need any additional information!

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
    Hello, first time poster here! Web browser was kind enough to log me out and delete my first attempt at posting this, so let's try again.

I received a text last week from my cousin that her daughter, who I believe is turning one this month, needs glasses. The baby's vision insurance does not start until January, so she came to me first as I have some discounts I can give her.

However, when I sent her a photo of the baby/toddler frames we carry, which are essentially just itty bitty glasses with comfort cable temples, she responded that she had more of a goggle style in mind, where the frame fits snuggly around the baby's head, which we do not carry. Is there a benefit of one type over the other? I imagine the goggle style seems more secure - I'm sure we're all aware of the obsession babies have with removing glasses and I doubt their own faces are the exception - but I haven't worked with them myself and want to know the pros and cons of different frame styles.

Cost aside, I'd rather send her to another location if they're going to have the product she needs. On that note, any recommendations for the Rhode Island/Connecticut area on opticians experienced with fitting our littlest patients? Worse comes to worse, I can still buy her a backup pair from our shop, which would cost me a whopping $30 (if I skip the AR coating, which I feel is a good move given how fast these things are going to be scuffed up - lots of fearless, adventurous babies in my bloodline).

Any input is appreciated! I don't have her Rx as I'm more concerned about the frame part for right now, but I can get it if needed.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for the input, everyone! I'll show my cousin her options and see what she thinks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have had great results with Solo Bambini in the past.
    Also heard good reviews about Tomato glasses but haven't used them myself

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have worked with/seen several of these lines listed above, and I think regardless of brand you want to fit your cousin's child in a baby specific line, and NOT a rigid frame. Miraflex in particular is at a VERY affordable wholesale price point.

These frames have varying amounts of flexibility (miraflex has the most, safilo kids/dilli dally are more rigid) but they are basically super safe. No moving parts, no metal, no sharp edges, nothing to cause injury to a baby.

I prefer not to use rigid frames with cable temples until a child is at least 3 and sort of past the 'weeble wobble fall on my face' stage. I have seen 2 year olds with permanent scarring on their faces from bad falls with rigid frames. Sometimes it is difficult to make parents understand the risk vs. the 'style' they are trying to achieve.

Thread Information