Thread: Houston Area Dr's that can help

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Houston Area Dr's that can help

Hello all, I had my annual exam today. Brief history on my eyesight, My first Prescription at age 5 was with right eye -4.75 cylinder, with my left eye at -2.00. My left eye is nearsighted, my right eye is farsighted. Left eye currently has -1.00 cylinder power, whereas my right eye power hasn't been determined other than the cylinder power has exceeded the -8 mark, and I am in need of a OD or MD who can help me in the Houston, TX area. I was told by my current doctor that there are no optometrists/opthamologists in my area that can go above -8 on the cylinder. I've been told that I am corrected to between 20/20 to 20/30 which I was told is unbelievable w/ the amount of astigmatism that I have. I am also interested in doing some "eye training" to strengthen the muscle in my left eye as I am suffering from Dissociated Vertical Deviation. Are there any suggestions on who to visit in Houston, or close by Houston? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would contact the University of Houston, College of Optometry. Please bring along any old glasses or records. I am sure that they will do topography and other advanced testing to determine your best options including glasses, surgery or contact lenses.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Skip the O.D.'s at Cougar High, call the Department of Opthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine. Or if you want at private Ophthalmologist see the listings at the Hermann Professional Building, there are about 30 in that building alone. And most of them are the very best.

Chip

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only way I would send a client with an eight cylinder to an ophthalmologist is if they had an optometrist on staff to do the refraction, preferably one with a low vision specialty. This is coming from an optician who has been filling M.D. scripts for the last twenty five years.

Robert

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I really can't think of any way I would see an O.D. for surgical evaluation, or medical treatment.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    thanks for your replies! So either UH or Baylor will be able to refract me w/ more than 8 cylinder, and possibly help strengthen my left eye muscles which is my good eye? I am definately wanting to find a good OD or MD for my eye health, as I don't want anything to happen to my left (Good) eye! With the muscle weakness it's having, It kinda has me concerned, My Current OD never did diagnose me with it, i've asked him about it, but said everything is OK. I've found out from the richmondeye site (dont' remember the exact site) and it shows an eye drifting up when covered, and that's exactly what i'm expereincing..

Thanks much for all your replies and suggestions!

Bad address email on file
    The MDs aren't going to do a darned thing for you. ODs do better refractions and ODs can do vision therapy for binocular problems.

The College of Optometry at Univ. of Houston would be an excellent place to go. Ophthalmologists treat medical problems and that is not what you have, from your description.

This is another excellent example of Chip's bias against optometrists.

OptiWizard
    You clearly have multiple problems and a multi disiplinery approach is needed. Univ. Of Houston is agreat place to start. -8.00 or greater is a large amout of astigmatism and 20/30 is excellent for that RX. Most refractors do onlt go up to -8.00. In spectacles -8.00 in one eye will be tough for your brain to fuse with glasses and you will likely need some type of rigid lens. this will also help with the disociated vertical deviation.

OptiWizard
    Is the vertical deviation new or has it always been present? A new deviation sometimes can be a bad thing. It has been my experience that people with large amounts of cyl tend to rub their eyes alot. if you do you need to stop. Clearly with -8.00 cyl there is something wrong with your cornea. Probably some type of corneal thing or kerataconus. Sorry for the two rambles. There are many ODs and MDs that can help but you probably won't find one who is an expert in all the areas you need help. Check Out U of H. If you don't like what you hear, get another opinion. Just some ideas I had.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Stopper, I have had the deviation for about 2 years now. The eye in question is my left eye, which is my good eye, correctable to 20/10. My right eye is lazy, so I of course do not see 'true 3D' When I was younger in school, I'd use my finger to 'pull' my left eye to a squint because I was scared to wear my glasses (as most kids are). After that year of squinting, I finnaly got the nerve to wear them, and had my 'school' eyetest, and of course they just test distance, and passed that. But i'm wondering if me 'pulling' on it about 7 years ago or so would have caused this to happen?? I First noticed the problem in early 2000. I have been told that I don't have kerataconus, just extreme high astigmatism. I must agree though, something is definately wrong w/ my eyes, with one being moderatetly farsighted with extreme astigmatism and one being mild nearsighted with low astigmatism. My right eye cylinder has really not 'changed' too drastically since I first got glasses (When I was 5) My first RX for Cylinder in right eye was -4.75, and had stayed steady in the -5.00 to -6.00 range ever since, but now my eye seems to be going about -.25 every year on the cylinder, and it just has me concerned. my current OD had to put the extra -2.00 Cylinder in the phoroptor, which of course brought me to the -8.00 in cylinder, but still wasn't as 'clear' as it could be. thanks again for suggestions, and replies!!

First RX:
    +0.75 -4.75 (don't know axis)
    -0.50 -2.00 (don't know axis)

Latest RX:
    +2.75 -8.00? 22
    -1.50 -1.00 90

OptiWizard
    Do you have regular or irregular astigmatism? Have you ever had a corneal topography done? Are you wearing glasses or contact lenses? What do you mean "pulling" on your eye?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Stopper said:
    Do you have regular or irregular astigmatism? Have you ever had a corneal topography done? Are you wearing glasses or contact lenses? What do you mean "pulling" on your eye?
    That's one thing that I Actually don't know, I know that I've not had a cornel topo done though. I wear glasses fulltime now, no contacts ever, and I mean 'pulling' by i'd get my left finger, and make a 'squint' by pulling my eyelid to a squint (by pulling towards the back of my head) I was very good at hiding the fact I wore glasses, b/c no teachers ever noticed me doing that since I just looked like I was resting my head on my palm.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why Hide It?

Loqui?

Why did you bother to hide it? Why does it worry you now?

It's not like facial scarring or something.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Re: Why Hide It?

chip anderson said:
    Loqui?

Why did you bother to hide it? Why does it worry you now?

It's not like facial scarring or something.

Chip
    Chip, I don't know why I was hiding it, I was a kid who was terrified for some reason to wear glasses (many years ago). I love glasses now and won't be caught without them. I just don't know why I did not love the clarity of glasses, but instead, I chose to struggle with overhead projectors, whiteboard, etc. But that brings back memories to me as to why I might have within the past 3 years begin experiencing the deviation in my left eye (in the general direction I was pulling my lid) I will def make an appointment w/ UH since they're closer to me and if a second opinion, goto Baylor and see what is said.

OptiWizard
    I doubt the "pulling" you did as a child has anything to do with your current situation. I am amazed that you are wearing spectacles with 8D of cyl. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

loqui

Dr. Bruce Wick, OD (U of H + well regarded private practitioner)
    Dr. William Lipsky, MD (Coastal Eye Associates, Clear Lake)

Houston has a quite few hundred OD's. Many of whom shouldn't be. It is the catch basin for grads.

Thread Information