Thread: What is in the near future and what is here already..................................

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper What is in the near future and what is here already..................................

I received this article in the e-mail a while ago from a friend and copied it to my website. No Idea who wrote it but think that it would be beneficial to read it.

Here is the start:

What is in the near future and what is here already.

In 1998, Kodak had 170,000 employees and sold 85% of all photo paper worldwide. Within just a few years, their business model disappeared and they went bankrupt. What happened to Kodak will happen in a lot of industries in the next 10 years - and most people don't see it coming. Did you think in 1998 that 3 years later you would never take pictures on paper film again? Yet digital cameras were invented in 1975. The first ones only had 10,000 pixels, but followed Moore's law.

So as with all exponential technologies, it was a disappointment for a long time, before it became way superior and got mainstream in only a few short years. It will now happen with Artificial Intelligence, health, autonomous and electric cars, education, 3D printing, agriculture and jobs.
    Welcome to the 4th Industrial Revolution.

Welcome to the Exponential Age. Software will disrupt most traditional industries in the next 5-10 years.

See all of it, at : ===============>
    http://optochemicals.com/future.htm

What will happen in our industry ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's already happening, and software is the disruption factor.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I received this article in the e-mail a while ago from a friend and copied it to my website. No Idea who wrote it but think that it would be beneficial to read it.

Here is the start:

What is in the near future and what is here already.

In 1998, Kodak had 170,000 employees and sold 85% of all photo paper worldwide. Within just a few years, their business model disappeared and they went bankrupt. What happened to Kodak will happen in a lot of industries in the next 10 years - and most people don't see it coming. Did you think in 1998 that 3 years later you would never take pictures on paper film again? Yet digital cameras were invented in 1975. The first ones only had 10,000 pixels, but followed Moore's law.

So as with all exponential technologies, it was a disappointment for a long time, before it became way superior and got mainstream in only a few short years. It will now happen with Artificial Intelligence, health, autonomous and electric cars, education, 3D printing, agriculture and jobs.
    Welcome to the 4th Industrial Revolution.

Welcome to the Exponential Age. Software will disrupt most traditional industries in the next 5-10 years.

See all of it, at : ===============>
    http://optochemicals.com/future.htm

What will happen in our industry ?
    although its nice post but its in use already :)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like LenSync to me?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have a friend who works with 3D printers everyday. We have had the (very sad for me) discussion about a future where someone will do an online eye test, take a selfie, pick out a frame from a computerized catalog, and then just print it all out. People will always need glasses, but do they need us?

Of course they do! :says I and my peers.

People don't know what they don't know and they certainly don't know what we don't teach them. Educate your patients and prove your knowledge is worth the trip to see you and your selection. I aim to bring people to a point of understanding so that they can know the value of what we have made for them.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Educate your patients and prove your knowledge ......................

Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

People will always need glasses, but do they need us?

Educate your patients and prove your knowledge is worth the trip to see you and your selection.
    I aim to bring people to a point of understanding so that they can know the value of what we have made for them.
    If you make them in your office you are totally right.

Many get them from a big lab done and ready to pass along to the consumer and that is the difference.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    If you make them in your office you are totally right.

Many get them from a big lab done and ready to pass along to the consumer and that is the difference.
    This should be true for the total product. Frames and lenses both have a range of quality that I don't assume them to understand. There are plenty of products that I rely on sales consultants to educate me on.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information