Thread: Hunting Specs

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hunting Specs

Morning optiboarders,

So I thought it might be best to gather some thoughts, concerns, and advice on an upcoming order.

Rx; OD PL -0.5 x 085
    OS +0.25 -.25 x 095 +2.25 Add

Patient is wanting a PAL that will allow her to see through both her scope and iron sights when she goes hunting in September. She also favors wrapped frames such as Nike or Oakley. As to my question, What are some ideas or practices I can keep in mind when putting these together so I can be confident they will work well for her? She hasn't given me enough time from now til the hunt for a redo so I need to get this spot on the first time around.

~Dustin
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yikes... I do not envy your position. I have never had success with a Pal in this situation, and certainly not without a redo or two. Sorry man :( I hope someone else has a great idea.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin.B View Post
    Morning optiboarders,

So I thought it might be best to gather some thoughts, concerns, and advice on an upcoming order.

Rx; OD PL -0.5 x 085
    OS +0.25 -.25 x 095 +2.25 Add

Patient is wanting a PAL that will allow her to see through both her scope and iron sights when she goes hunting in September. She also favors wrapped frames such as Nike or Oakley. As to my question, What are some ideas or practices I can keep in mind when putting these together so I can be confident they will work well for her? She hasn't given me enough time from now til the hunt for a redo so I need to get this spot on the first time around.

~Dustin
    confused on seeing through a scope, and iron sites. Not a big hunter but I believe it's one or the other.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    confused on seeing through a scope, and iron sites. Not a big hunter but I believe it's one or the other.
    Not always, there are off-set sights or high rise scopes and the like. No, in this case it is that the patient uses multiple rifles throughout the year for both large and small game.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Distance Rx only in shooting glasses, forget the Add.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Dustin. As rbaker said i would be putting distance only into that pair of glasses. Putting a PAL in when talking with scopes and not looking through the optical center of the lens due to standing sideways will always cause problems. Have you considered trying to put the patient into something from : http://www.pillasport.com/shooting-sports ? I have found there products quite good for the avid shooter - not cheap, but if they are a keen shooter alot will go for it.

I have done a few pairs of shooting/hunting specs before and normally i measure up pd's a little differently - i have a toy pistol and a broomstick i use to measure up pd's with, normally i take the patient out the back room, and get them to stand in firing stance with either the toy pistol (for pistol shooting, deeeeerp) or use the broomstick as if its a rifle / shotgun, and then OUTSET the PD's by a few millimetres so that they are looking thru optical centre when in firing stance. Probably not needed with that low a Rx along the 180, but for +-2D along the 180 it works really well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    PAL is a bad idea for shooting specs. Do a FT35/28 with a low measured seg (out of the way but there if NVA is needed). The focus of the scope can be adjusted for accommodation. The convention is to always have the front sight in focus, which for rifles and pistols is right around the intermediate/distance focal zone.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    PAL is a bad idea for shooting specs. Do a FT35/28 with a low measured seg (out of the way but there if NVA is needed). The focus of the scope can be adjusted for accommodation. The convention is to always have the front sight in focus, which for rifles and pistols is right around the intermediate/distance focal zone.
    Don't need no near vision while out hunting (unless she needs to do her nails.)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Don't need no near vision while out hunting (unless she needs to do her nails.)
    One thing I have learned not to do is to tell sportsmen(and women) how or what they need. I have done shooting glasses (Cue Chris posting that european competitive shooting glasses link) for many many people, military, black powder iron sight, zeiss scopes on sniper rifles (these can be adjusted for accomation by user awesome stuff), hand guns, competitive shotgun skeet shooting who shoot from the hip, and of course hunters. I swear dick they all wanted/used different things. I have done Monovision glasses, digital round segs in odd places, SV distance, SV midrange, trifocals bifocals all of it. I have learned when it comes to shooters (and pool shooters) you must listen and learn and be prepared to do remakes (so charge accordingly!)

just my 2cents

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have found one of the key ingrediants for shooters is done through trial framing.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Instances where NVA may be needed while out hunting; DOPE'ing the scope, while most zeroing is done at a range there are circumstances that arise where adjustments to the optics are necessary. Filling out registration tags once the animal has been harvested, most states have limits on game and require tagging and documentation.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with earlier posters, it is a much better idea to do SV distance, especially if the patient insists on a wrap frame. However, her distance Rx is so slight that she would probably be better to save her money and get a good plano pair (polarized brown or yellow?). With that money, she can buy a red dot or scope for her other rifle and she will be set. If she insists on correction for the open sights, she will either have to do the 'tilt' (tilt up to see sights, then down to see target), or have a SV intermediate set to her front sight blade. She will definitely miss her good distance vision under that scenario.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always done SV Distance OR FT-35 for hunters, Set the segs low low ... only time i have done anything too differently is I had a shooter who wanted his segs set where the tri focal would traditionally set. It worked for him, because he didn't mind ducking his head. PAL is typically not ideal, I've usually had them returned for SV or FT, I can't recall a single instance where they've worked well for a hunter!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Thread Information