Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Fitting in 2016

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder View Post
    A hyperope will have a shorter corridor and a myope will have a longer corridor.
    If we're talking about the dioptric power in the vertical meridian and its effect on the corridor length requirements of the wearer, it's the moderate to high myopes who need the shorter corridor and narrower near zones compared to emmetropes and hyperopes. This is due to induced base down prism (raising the image) and minification (effectively raising the image as it becomes smaller).

With regards to position-of-wear, differences in vertex distance alone can have a noticeable impact on near utility with PALs, with larger values requiring a longer corridor and a wider near zones, and smaller values needing shorter corridors and narrower near zones, compared to the intended design.

For example, although 13mm is a typical default value for the wearer’s vertex distance, common real life values can be anywhere from 9mm to 17mm. If the PAL design has the near vision point 17mm below the fitting point, the 17mm Vtx distance client will rotate their eyes 30 degrees to reach a point 17mm below the pupil center, where a 9mm Vtx client rotates 39 degrees, (34.5 degrees for a 13mm default Vtx). Because 4 degrees of ocular rotation is equal to about 2mm across the spectacle plane, a change in corridor length of 2mm will be fairly significant, especially for absolute presbyopes.

The effect of lens power as described above requires further modifications to the corridor length and power profile. The dihedral and pantoscopic angles add more complexity to the situation, requiring calculations that are much are too complex and time consuming for busy opticians. Alas, we have a few lens manufacturers who use first-rate PAL design software, supercomputers, and free-form manufacturing to come to our rescue!

Robert Martellaro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vertex distance fitting height.jpg  
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I speak on digital dispensing and I think I have tested every system on the market. In my own office, we use the Optikampad and found it to be the best. I use the ipad pro and it does not require an enclosure so it does not need to be charged. In my experience the Optikam is the most accurate and easiest to use. I am currently trying to do a comparison of different digital measuring devices and testing the accuracy between manual measuring devices and hope to have it completed by VEW.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticianjw View Post
    I speak on digital dispensing and I think I have tested every system on the market. In my own office, we use the Optikampad and found it to be the best. I use the ipad pro and it does not require an enclosure so it does not need to be charged. In my experience the Optikam is the most accurate and easiest to use. I am currently trying to do a comparison of different digital measuring devices and testing the accuracy between manual measuring devices and hope to have it completed by VEW.
    Hello, what are the other digital devices that you are comparing?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Otto, spark, smart mirror, spectanglepro, accufit, I terminal, visi office

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd like to resurrect this!

It seems like the optical digital revolution has just become old hat, everyone is doing "digital" lenses of some caliber, but it seems to me many are no longer doing all the custom digital measurements. I know quite a few offices that had some device or other, it stopped working or they got new staff and didn't train on it, and now they are back to pupilometers and lens markers. Likewise the market for digital measuring devices seems to have cooled and gone underground, I hear little about it.

I have an aging Visioffice 2, which I love and use all the time, but they are no longer available or supported. One day it's going to give up the ghost. Looking around at the devices mentioned in this thread, Otto is dead, Spark is updated, Smart Mirror is now just an iPad attachment, just like Spectangle/Optikam (they look identical), and Essilor has the EyeRuler 2 (when did they have 1??), iPad again. Zeiss iTerminal looks like the only unique device left. Are there any other good ones out there I haven't heard of?

Are you all doing digital measurements? If so what devices are you using and enjoying? What are you using and hating?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pupillometer, ruler, marker, panto gauge, wrap angle taken from tracer.

Recently had a demo of a new phone app. Very good.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ive used the OptikamPad since 2013. Works great, simple. It's not stupid proof, but neither is a PD stick.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    do anyone knows where I can get a progressive digital design where I don't need to pay pair click

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    At one point Optotech was offering designs when you bought their equipment. If you purchase outright from someone take into account when you have problems who will be there to fix them.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    I'd like to resurrect this!

It seems like the optical digital revolution has just become old hat, everyone is doing "digital" lenses of some caliber, but it seems to me many are no longer doing all the custom digital measurements. I know quite a few offices that had some device or other, it stopped working or they got new staff and didn't train on it, and now they are back to pupilometers and lens markers. Likewise the market for digital measuring devices seems to have cooled and gone underground, I hear little about it.

I have an aging Visioffice 2, which I love and use all the time, but they are no longer available or supported. One day it's going to give up the ghost. Looking around at the devices mentioned in this thread, Otto is dead, Spark is updated, Smart Mirror is now just an iPad attachment, just like Spectangle/Optikam (they look identical), and Essilor has the EyeRuler 2 (when did they have 1??), iPad again. Zeiss iTerminal looks like the only unique device left. Are there any other good ones out there I haven't heard of?

Are you all doing digital measurements? If so what devices are you using and enjoying? What are you using and hating?
    I'm trying to get my practice interested in using one of these solutions. Only difference I see on Spectangle vs Optikam is Spectangle is currently $1000 cheaper, although it appears you need a Hoya lab acct to purchase it

Thread Information