Thread: drawing the line on customer service

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

drawing the line on customer service

From time to time we get calls from patients ordering glasses online. They of course don't know what they are doing and want me to help them order glasses from a competitor and us my services for free. I find myself in an odd place though. I want to offer good customer service and help because that is the kind of person I am. While at the same time I know that they are not my customer or patient so their is no real customer service to render. They will usually ask what things on the script mean. I don't have any real issues explaining a patients RX as long as it is from us . I have a problem when they have questions about placing the order or wanting measurements and asking what some of the terminology means. I will at that point suggest they contact the person or website they are ordering the glasses from and they should be able to answer those questions or their should be information on the website to take the measurements you need . I don't give out any of those.

I was wondering if anybody had different ways to politely handle these situations. I want to provide people with great service but I don't want to give away my services for Warby Park customers for free.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    While at the same time I know that they are not my customer or patient so their is no real customer service to render.

Forget polite, tell them this ^. It's your own words.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spend a lot of time with my patients. I explain way more than most people do. I like to educate my patient to make sure they are getting the best product for their needs. I'll be darned if I'm going to spend an hour with someone explaining their Rx and different lenses/materials and then have them turn around and get their glasses somewhere else. I don't mind going over a few things (that's how you get them to come to you as a patient), but I won't do everything for them. I don't go to the local tile contractor and have him do all the measurements and ask him to teach me how to tile so that I can go to Lowe's and buy the tile myself. really.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Set up a fee for taking these measurements ..............................

I will at that point suggest they contact the person or website they are ordering the glasses from and they should be able to answer those questions or their should be information on the website to take the measurements you need . I don't give out any of those.

I was wondering if anybody had different ways to politely handle these situations. I want to provide people with great service but I don't want to give away my services for Warby Park customers for free.

Whatever you charge for a pair of glasses, the above mentioned services are included in the selling price.

Now these days there are and will be more and more that need these services because they are tempted to order theirs on line.

You being a professional, besides being an eyeglass seller, you are also allowed to charge for professional services which in this case would include providing measurements they need to buy from somebody that can not do it.

Set up a fee for taking these measurements, whatever it is worth to you, and you will make some money doing it instead of getting nothing.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I think Steve says it perfectly when 'professionals' get on here and ask how the RX is set up and what lenses to get. We all, well maybe more like a good majority want to help people, but we aren't always in the best situation to do so. I always explain risk and lack of responsibility when helping online or competitors patients. I aim to wow with knowledge and helpfulness but not be a middle man in the online process. I have no problem educating for free.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I aim to wow with knowledge and helpfulness but not be a middle man in the online process. I have no problem educating for free.
    I agree to a point. I think wowing them with knowledge is great, but don't waste a ton of my time. I'll be happy to make a few suggestions and wow with some knowledge, but then where to stop? I have patients that are waiting for me that will actually make a purchase. I inform to a point and then you need to purchase or move on.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    how many times have i educated a patient about progressives, only to have them leave, purchase them at costco.
    they actually come back to us,after a month or so, complaining ,and wanting to know why they cant see out of their new glasses....really!
    i politely tell them that the person who examined your eyes, and sold you the glasses would probably be better qualified to handle your questions than i would
    I REALLY DO MY BEST AND TRY TO REFRAIN FROM SARCASM...LOL
    So i now realize that my job is not to educate the public

Occupation
    I aim to wow with knowledge and helpfulness but not be a middle man in the online process. I have no problem educating for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I have patients that are waiting for me that will actually make a purchase. I inform to a point and then you need to purchase or move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    i politely tell them that the person who examined your eyes, and sold you the glasses would probably be better qualified to handle your questions than i would
    I REALLY DO MY BEST AND TRY TO REFRAIN FROM SARCASM...LOL
    So i now realize that my job is not to educate the public
    How come not even one of the last 3 posters has gone into answering a logical proposal made on my post? Just sell your services if you can not sell your glasses.

Occupation
    You are not educating the public when you have a pecuniary interest in the process. A long as you have a dog in the fight its not education, its salesmanship.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    How come not even one of the last 3 posters has gone into answering a logical proposal made on my post? Just sell your services if you can not sell your glasses.
    Are you suggesting we charge to educate the patient and help them order online? That's beyond charging for PD. Like I said, I love to educate the patient and wow them with my knowledge, but you have to stop at some point. They can come back in when after order them elsewhere and have problems and then decide they now want a pair of glasses that they can actually see out of. I understand charging for PD, adjustments and problem solving, but wasn't the original discussion about explaining the lenses and rx and everything else to the patient? That's a lot of information to give for someone to just order elsewhere.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I don't give out PDs. I do change nosepads and replace screws and other simple repairs. 90% of the time I'm doing this with no charge because that's how we run as a small business that somehow thrives with zero advertising. I can't tell you the amount of people we've gained by not nickel and diming the general public for a $0.10 pair of nosepads and five minutes of my time.

I don't expect everyone to do this and certainly don't feel it necessary, but it works for our location. Word of mouth IS our advertising.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do change nosepads and replace screws and other simple repairs. 90% of the time I'm doing this with no charge because that's how we run as a small business that somehow thrives with zero advertising. I can't tell you the amount of people we've gained by not nickel and diming the general public for a $0.10 pair of nosepads and five minutes of my time.

Word of mouth IS our advertising.
    Yup. ditto.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I agree with Chris as far as charging for services. That decision isn't up to me. I also agree with rbaker it is salesmanship. We make money by educating patients or customers about the products we offer. Like the car dealer that sold me for car telling me the features and benefits . I was hoping for help politely declining helping someone order online and where to draw the line. I generally direct questions about the order to the place they are ordering glasses from.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I agree with Chris as far as charging for services. That decision isn't up to me. I also agree with rbaker it is salesmanship. We make money by educating patients or customers about the products we offer. Like the car dealer that sold me for car telling me the features and benefits . I was hoping for help politely declining helping someone order online and where to draw the line. I generally direct questions about the order to the place they are ordering glasses from.
    When the request for assistance is beyond my scope of expertise.......or makes me feel uncomfortable..........I refer to another expert. Youtube.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I try to educate and be kind and helpful as long as I have the time to do so. If I have patients in the office I have no problem telling someone on the phone that their online orders are not my responsibility.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Navigating fragmented care.
    My Mechanic's job is not to educate me nor is it my Attorney's job to educate me, they are there to assist me with specific issues and I will gladly pay for their expertise. Once that person leaves your establishment and seeks business elsewhere(Navigating Fragmented Care) they cease to be your customer and are now someone else's. It becomes the responsibility of the new entity to provide the appropriate customer services. On the upside, you will be there to adjust their frames and address any other problem they will incur and you can tell them how right you were, while they paid someone else for the services you are giving away.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If you're sure they are ordering something online, you start to explain things, then hit the disconnect button mid-sentence. If they call back, don't answer.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Times have changed forever...............

I don't give out PDs. I do change nosepads and replace screws and other simple repairs. 90% of the time I'm doing this with no charge because that's how we run as a small business that somehow thrives with zero advertising.

I don't expect everyone to do this and certainly don't feel it necessary, but it works for our location. Word of mouth IS our advertising.

That has always been done in opticians shops, and the world over.

Times have changed forever...............

This will make a conventional retail optical a source for more complicated prescriptions at the usual high markups, and just the corporations owned internet sellers will get the easy and simple jobs at much lower markups, to the tune of up to 30 million pairs this year, and growing to larger amounts for the next one.

Furthermore the older generations that are, and were not computer savvy are all dying off within the next few years of old age, and the generation replacing them, is at home and familiar with the internet.

So your outlook of catching purchasing customers forever with free 20 cent nosepads and adjustments is very bleak.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper adjust their frames and address any other problem ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post

On the upside, you will be there to adjust their frames and address any other problem they will incur and you can tell them how right you were, while they paid someone else for the services you are giving away.

Yes you were right a few years back. These days where your own major world wide suppliers have turned into competitors at the retail level, you might just have to revise your opinion.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In our office, we will charge a minimal fee for giving a PD,we also have them sign a waiver stating we are not responsible, and I love to WOW them with knowledge even though they go on line to order. Most of these people come back and want to order from us after all. They usually say "Ive learned my lesson". We end up with a sale anyway.

Thread Information