Thread: Lenscrafters and Zeiss

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Lenscrafters and Zeiss

So with Lenscrafters installing a renamed iProfiler system in their stores, what lenses are they going to be using now? How in bed with Lenscrafters is Zeiss? Anyone have an idea as to what designs they will be selling? I really like their lenses but I may be considering alternatives where possible depending on how this plays out.
    Last edited by NVEYEDR; 07-07-2016 at 01:24 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Why give up on Zeiss just because they work with LC?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    As a supplier how would you act if a 5000+ branch chain wants to purchase your products ?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, as a private optical you wish to be able to differentiate yourself by using better products, one of which was Zeiss. They have a good reputation, even among lay people. But now with Lenscrafters marketing the Zeiss name and whatever they decide to private label the PAL(s) they are using for their iScriptions, saying you carry Zeiss is not going to mean much anymore when the consumer equates the brand with a one hour service optical. I get that Zeiss Vision has been hurting and this is a huge boon for their business, but what once was sign of quality is now just another commonplace lens and a branding that will lose luster. At least I know that the lenses won't be cheap as low prices has never been LC's game.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Try Younger/IOT Camber as an alternative.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by NVEYEDR View Post

Well, as a private optical you wish to be able to differentiate yourself by using better products, one of which was Zeiss. They have a good reputation, even among lay people. But now with Lenscrafters marketing the Zeiss name and whatever they decide to private label the PAL(s) they are using for their iScriptions, saying you carry Zeiss is not going to mean much anymore when the consumer equates the brand with a one hour service optical. I get that Zeiss Vision has been hurting and this is a huge boon for their business, but what once was sign of quality is now just another commonplace lens and a branding that will lose luster. At least I know that the lenses won't be cheap as low prices has never been LC's game.

There as a time in the 1950's in Germany when the then President of the German Masteropticans Association opened a second floor opticians store, which then was prohibited for them by the rules, and Zeiss refused to sell him any more lenses.

So he used to tell his customers, do you want Zeiss lens or something better.

These days where business in general has slowed down, you can not blame a company to sell to a major customer who is in the multiple store business and can boost their turnover considerably.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If your point of differentiation is product, but you don't control the product, you are always susceptible to this hijack. I use Varilux/Crizal, which due to premium price point alone is comfortably unattractive to low cost competitors, but any private practice or optician regardless of quality can still schlep a Physio if they want to. Unless they ask, I don't advertise or even mention the brands I use to my customers. They trust me, so I don't have to compete on product. Touting a brand, even a good one, as a badge of pride eclipses your REAL point of differentiation: you. Even if you give LC Zeiss, presumably they will still not be as good as you, and that's what you need to focus on and make your customers aware of.

Did you know JC Penny Optical has been selling Zeiss for years now? They are being sneaky about it and all but their highest-end lenses and ARs are SOLA, not Zeiss, but the Zeiss logo and marketing is all over their shops. I don't think the Zeiss brand can get much closer to the bottom.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NVEYEDR View Post
    So with Lenscrafters installing a renamed iProfiler system in their stores, what lenses are they going to be using now? How in bed with Lenscrafters is Zeiss? Too bad, I really liked their lenses and I will be looking for alternatives.
    Link? I'm interested in this

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It doesn't change anything.

First, remember that "Zeiss" in the USA is really a bunch of Sola people who don't know how to manage a premium brand.

Second, Zeiss is in bed with VSP on their Unity product, and Unity is garbage by comparison to the Zeiss flagship products.

Third, installing an i.profiler system in LC puts pressure on the market to step up their patient experience, so it is a brilliant move for Zeiss to push medical equipment, so it isn't really going to do anything in regards to lenses.

Fourth, don't sell the Zeiss name, because it is hijacked by Sola nonsense, so sell real Zeiss product that performs.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    If your point of differentiation is product, but you don't control the product, you are always susceptible to this hijack. I use Varilux/Crizal, which due to premium price point alone is comfortably unattractive to low cost competitors, but any private practice or optician regardless of quality can still schlep a Physio if they want to. Unless they ask, I don't advertise or even mention the brands I use to my customers. They trust me, so I don't have to compete on product. Touting a brand, even a good one, as a badge of pride eclipses your REAL point of differentiation: you. Even if you give LC Zeiss, presumably they will still not be as good as you, and that's what you need to focus on and make your customers aware of.

Did you know JC Penny Optical has been selling Zeiss for years now? They are being sneaky about it and all but their highest-end lenses and ARs are SOLA, not Zeiss, but the Zeiss logo and marketing is all over their shops. I don't think the Zeiss brand can get much closer to the bottom.
    Yes, they have been, as has Shopko and Visionworks I believe

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    Fourth, don't sell the Zeiss name, because it is hijacked by Sola nonsense, so sell real Zeiss product that performs.
    Leveraging branding when the brand is good and is meaningful is a useful marketing tool. How many patients have come to you because you carry a specific product? Consumers are comforted by well known brands, which is why it is generally a good idea to have a brand name or two in the optical that people recognize even if everything else you carry is independent. Do I let consumers know I use Zeiss products? Of course, I want those consumers that are looking for Zeiss to know I have it. Do I sell them Zeiss products by name? Not unless they ask as I will use what I feel is needed regardless of brand.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I used to agree.

I thought if I got jazzed about lenses, patients would too.

Boy, was I wrong.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Optical lenses for the man/women in the street are a generic product ................

Optical lenses for the man/women in the street are a generic product that helps them to see better. They give a hoot who makes and produces them. Just check out the websites on on-line optical s who do not even mention any brands for lenses.

However there is a class of people that like to spend more money on well advertised brand names. It all has to do how much those companies advertise to the public.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I used to agree.

Boy, was I wrong.
    So are you all aboard the house design train now? There are a few amazing private label designs out there among a sea of poop

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm for that.

I just don't think I'm going to "build a brand" and let them stab me with it.

Johns always says "be the brand".

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    I'm for that.

I just don't think I'm going to "build a brand" and let them stab me with it.

Johns always says "be the brand".
    I am not in retail anymore but I would venture a guess that when someone comes, most not all, ask for the lens that gets dark in the sun. For all the millions "E" has spent promoting thansitions, a very small # ask by name. Same with Varilux, I want those invisible bifocals.
    Be interesting if an Optiboarder would start a survey.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to agree.

Boy, was I wrong.
    Don't give up yet! The reason is never had the proper tools to get the patient excited; I have seen the future and am waiting for it to be programmed in LenSync but you will have a complete system. Tell me what you dream about and I will tell you what we are planning to offer.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post

For all the millions "E" has spent promoting thansitions, a very small # ask by name. Same with Varilux, I want those invisible bifocals.

The Varilux got introduced 1957 and photochromic lenses in glass around the same time. So they been around just about forever.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I used to agree.

Boy, was I wrong.
    My experience couldn't be more different. The more jazzed, knowledgeable, and cogent about lens options I am, the better my sales are.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information