Thread: Marchon shipping charges fraud

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Marchon shipping charges fraud

We have been encouraged to have Marchon frames shipped directly to our VSP One lab for the last several years. We were advised that this would not only speed up the processing of our orders but we also would not be charged shipping to lab. This month our optician brought to my attention that we are being charged over $11 shipping on each frame sent to lab. We have now reviewed statements going back 2 years and this has been happening every month. Today I called Marchon and asked why we were being charged. The customer service agent stated that the policy is not to charge for shipping to labs in CA, but there is a technical problem that automatically charges for shipping. They are aware that this has been a problem for several years, but it has not been fixed. The rep said we can call each month to have charges reversed.

It is unbelievable that Marchon has been essentially marking up their frames 25-30% by overcharging for shipping. Has anyone else encountered this and how are they dealing with it? This seems like deceptive marketing. I advise everyone to check their statements.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    How is it that you never noticed this before now? Do you not look over your paperwork each month carefully?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    How is it that you never noticed this before now? Do you not look over your paperwork each month carefully?
    It's VSP, my partner and friend.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper The rep said we can call each month to have charges reversed. ....................

Quote Originally Posted by icare4icare View Post

............... but there is a technical problem that automatically charges for shipping. They are aware that this has been a problem for several years, but it has not been fixed. The rep said we can call each month to have charges reversed.

.............if you like to sell their frames, just call them as offered and have the charges reversed as per offer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reminds me of my AT&T account...every month I am overbilled by about $10...every month I call and they agree they made a mistake and they give me a credit and promise next month it will be corrected. And every month it is not fixed and I have to call. If I wasn't grandfathered in with my plan I would switch to another carrier. Why should I have to call every month. If that is the policy...fix it so I don't have to call. I have other things to do. Just sayin'

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icare4icare View Post
    . We have now reviewed statements going back 2 years and this has been happening every month. Today I called Marchon and asked why we were being charged. The customer service agent stated that the policy is not to charge for shipping to labs in CA, but there is a technical problem that automatically charges for shipping. They are aware that this has been a problem for several years, but it has not been fixed. The rep said we can call each month to have charges reversed.
    Sounds to me like you should have a credit worth a pretty penny. I can't believe this is an isolated case. In my case, I wouldn't know, as I haven't had a Marchon frame in my offices since August 16, 2008, so I have no invoice to look at.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Hold on, jump back. Its probably not an overcharge or an error. It may, in fact, be a "preferred customer bonus spiff." The only problem is that they get the spiff, you get the stiff. They may operate on the old adage of "never give a sucker an even break" and in as much as you failed to audit your invoices for two years you stuck out like a sore thumb. Then again, it could be an honest error on their part.

While its way too late you might want to review the vendors written policy concerning payment and terms. If they violated their policy you may have cause for legal action. If not, suck it up and consider it a teachable moment.

Johns probably took the easy way out.
    Last edited by rbaker; 06-19-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    If a company charges the lab for deliveries, the lab gets a good discount on the frames and is charged for the delivery, while the retailer pays a price that includes delivery, however the computer might make a calculated mistake of charging also retailers for it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Johns probably took the easy way out.
    It's worked out great for me.

The only reason I think he should have a large credit coming is:

The customer service agent stated that the policy is not to charge for shipping to labs in CA, but there is a technical problem that automatically charges for shipping. They are aware that this has been a problem for several years, but it has not been fixed.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information