Thread: Horizon II edger motor shutting off??

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Horizon II edger motor shutting off??

Anyone had this problem? I know this things a dinosaur but it's been running without a hitch for...a long time. I had this same problem a few months ago and we tore it apart and put it back together which fixed it but we're still not sure what was wrong in the first place. Now it's baaaaaaack. Just intermittently and seemingly randomly shutting the motor down while continuing the cycle. Any help or experiences would be MUCH appreciated. Please don't make fun of my edger! Thanks!
    Fourteen of my family members (including: aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, grandparents...and a great uncle) are, or have been in optical and...that's just crazytown at Christmas

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Brushes?

They make an electric contact and need to be replaced every few years. 90 degrees from the motors on off switch are 2 screw caps. Take one out and see if the black piece attached to the copper spring is worn to a 1/2 inch or less. Google Bosch motors + "brushes" or go to a large woodworking shop for replacements.

Like most of the Horizon 2 it's a simple DIY fix.

Oh yeah- Unplug the machine!!!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-27-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Zappp....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It could be the motor is going off on thermal overload. A frequent cause of this could be worn brushes as Uncle Fester said, and you should check them and change them if they look short. I forget how long they are supposed to be, but if they are something like a half inch or less, they are worn. A little Googling will tell you.

Another cause could be worn bearings....Look for looseness and jiggleyness in the motor shaft. If it jiggles, you may want to change the whole motor. These things are available on ebay.

Another cause could be a bad thermal overload switch. I would only assume this if you check out the other two first and find that it is neither.

If I remember right, some of the Horizon 2s had a "cheap" consumer type router motor which should be inexpensive to replace. Some had the better industrial type motor, which could be a tougher (more expensive) replacement. Definitely check the brushes first.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do not change the motor. National Optronics had these custom made for their edgers.

Stock Bosch router motors are not available at the rpm these generate and it is a discontinued model.

Take it to a small electric motor repair shop. They can repair it to good as new and less money!

Thread Information