Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Spec checks- time limit - fees

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Free Spec checks- time limit - fees

Curious to know what your policy is for free spec checks. Time limits. Fees. etc.

I think the practice I work for is too liberal, in this current climate were in, and I want to tighten things up.

Please share how your practice handles secondary refractions.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What exactly is a spec check? I've never heard that term but I kind of like the ring of it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    Curious to know what your policy is for free spec checks. Time limits. Fees. etc.

I think the practice I work for is too liberal, in this current climate were in, and I want to tighten things up.

That would depend upon several factor; are we talking about an Rx done at the clinic or elsewhere, local of finished product, reasoning behind "spec check".
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    That would depend upon several factor; are we talking about an Rx done at the clinic or elsewhere, local of finished product, reasoning behind "spec check".
    +1
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    What exactly is a spec check? I've never heard that term but I kind of like the ring of it.
    A spec check is a second refraction performed after glasses are made. For various reasons, the patient may not adapt to the new RX. After checking the parameters of the lenses and determining that all is correct- we send them back in to see the OD for a second refraction.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A spec check is a second refraction performed after glasses are made. For various reasons, the patient may not adapt to the new RX. After checking the parameters of the lenses and determining that all is correct- we send them back in to see the OD for a second refraction.
    Would not Trial Framing be more expedient.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That would depend on several factor; are we talking about an Rx done at the clinic or elsewhere, local of finished product, reasoning behind "spec check".
    I am referring to glasses bought from our optical department- After we have determined that the lenses have been made to specifications- all measurements ar correct etc.
    If its a simple OR for the NV we solve that in optical but if the patient is having adaptation problems for DV we schedule them for a spec check if they come in within a reasonable time period.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would not Trial Framing be more expedient.
    I do trial frame the patient and have them read the chart in the room when I can, however, most of the rooms (we have 6 lanes) are full during clinic hours. If I can get them in one, and they are unable to read the line that they did during the day of the exam, then we book a spec check (after verifying lenses for any errors). I am the optician. I can refract but the MD's thankfully want the OD to do that and I don't have time anyway! Fortunately, it's not a big problem but it does come up and I'd like to enforce a consistent guideline regarding time limits and fees.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That would depend upon what they were previously wearing and how much of a change the Doc is making. If the change is minimal a week could be considered a reasonable period of time. I prefer to correct a lens design or Rx correction ASAP.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Our clinic uses the term "spec check" (or "glasses check") to refer to a post-exam revisit to troubleshoot a new Rx after it's been filled.

For a clinic, I see the rational for both tracks...most are going to be pretty liberal and see the patient for free for the next 2-3 months following the exam. I suppose the news that "your Rx is fine, the problem is your glasses [which you had made elsewhere to save a buck,]" is easier to swallow if the visit is free. I bet this graciousness earns patient loyalty. 'By how much?' and 'Is it worth it?' are an open questions.

My lab gives me a 60 day window for an Rx change, so I'm not extending it out any further after that...regardless of how long the clinic graces 'spec checks.'

I do know a doc who charges patients who have their specs made elsewhere for their spec checks. He shoots for 100% capture rate and has a tray of modestly priced options ready for uncoated poly to prove it. But if they still go elsewhere and then book him for a troubleshoot, they're paying for the recheck unless he can find a fault with the original Rx. His practice is large and successful, so I can't fault the approach. He's pruned his clientele base to the ones who trust his practice or those at least willing to respect his time & take responsibility for their own bargain hunting gambles. Growth from there turns out to be pretty sweet.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Recheck, abbreviated as RECK. At least in my neck of the woods. Many are due to incorrect add powers, almost always too strong. If you trial frame the work distance, you won't have very many 'rechecks'.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Recheck, abbreviated as RECK. At least in my neck of the woods. Many are due to incorrect add powers, almost always too strong. If you trial frame the work distance, you won't have very many 'rechecks'.
    Robert, in my neck of the woods, RECK; is an abbreviation for a red neck who wrecks his ATV.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    3 months from initial exam

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert, in my neck of the woods, RECK; is an abbreviation for a red neck who wrecks his ATV.
    Hmm, maybe they're reckless and loose, or reckloose, maybe even reck nasty. Regardless, they can wreck up, for sure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I only see outside RXs, but traditionally it's been no charge to recheck, and no charge to remake.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Hmm, maybe they're reckless and loose, or reckloose, maybe even reck nasty. Regardless, they can wreck up, for sure.
    In Wisconsin, that all depends upon how many Boxer Lagers they manage to choke down.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

As some before me have mentioned, there is no charge for lenses done at our location. Outside work, I trial frame our Rx at no charge but do not trouble shoot others interpretation of the Rx. If they require a slight change in their Rx we do it on the spot. If it is more involved and requires additional refracting from the Doc, we schedule at no charge.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I would think that this a decision best left to the refractionist and not his ancillary staff. Do what the boss says.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I would think that this a decision best left to the refractionist and not his ancillary staff. Do what the boss says.
    The OD and I Manage all aspects concerning optical. Our surgeons are too busy and they don't do the refractions.
    I've worked for this practice for over 22 yrs and the OD 2 yrs. We run everything by the MD's before implementing anything. But thanks for the reply.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The OD and I Manage all aspects concerning optical. Our surgeons are too busy and they don't do the refractions.
    I've worked for this practice for over 22 yrs and the OD 2 yrs. We run everything by the MD's before implementing anything. But thanks for the reply.
    30 days.

30 days for everything.

That's way more than enough time for anyone to try their glasses and get back to you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    30 days from original exam date. $20 refraction fee after 30 days, complete new exam+fee after 3 months.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have a 60 day policy which is in keeping of most of the insurance and private labs that we use for doctor's changes. We have the patient go to optical first to do a "lens traige" to weed out any issues that are strictly optical related. We dissect the lenses, what the patient was wearing before, and record this along with any other issues that may have bearing on the problem the patient is having with their glasses. If the problem cannot be corrected from optical, the patient gets scheduled for an RX check. We give the doctor our triage findings and they take it from there. It saves the docs a lot of time getting the nitty gritty out of the way ahead of time or making it so they do not need to see the patient at all and waste an appointment slot.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    30 days from original exam date. $20 refraction fee after 30 days, complete new exam+fee after 3 months.
    Hmmm. Interesting.

"Refraction" (only) after 30 days. But you require complete new eye health exam after 3 months? Why?
    How is this backed up by known (spontaneous) changes/onset in eye health?

Barry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused RX off is part patient responsibility?

We have our OD do all the work and we trial frame most folks but if there is a change for any reason we charge them 25% of the lens price.

We feel that anything changed for free should only be done if we make a mistake. Why wouldn't the patient share in the blame for a wrong RX; unless you know your office puts out poop results.

Our OD refracts to 20/15 and writes the acuity on the RX so we know what was done in the room. The clients have no issue paying 25% and we are committed to ensuring they see 20/15 if possible and as a result the 20/20 line is easy for most.

Just another way of looking at a partnership between all in the process.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmm. Not sure if this is completely fair, Craig.

I'll tell use this: If you prescribed me to full infinity, i.e., 20/20 or 20/15, I'd be one unhappy person.

B

Thread Information