Thread: Now your ABO Results reveal Pass/Fail right after exam

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Now your ABO Results reveal Pass/Fail right after exam

Hello everyone!,

I ordered the Pass The ABO Exam book by Gary McArrell for the $49. This book should be your BIBLE. And by Bible, I mean, this is the exact replica in print of what your ABO exam will be. Everyone striving to pass their ABO exam MUST BUY THIS BOOK. I cannot talk highly enough about this book. Gary saved so many of us out there, Laramy-K and Opti-Professor are nothing compared to it. Including all of your formulas, ANSI standards, and a better understanding of WHY things work. Bless his heart, Gary will always be remembered!

But I have been in optical for about 6-7 years now and have failed my ABO exam twice (the first time I blame planning my wedding).

My THIRD time taking it, I PASSED!!!

The past two times taking the exam, I had to wait 6-8 weeks to even get my results back on whether I failed or passed.

but NOW?! - The results pop up right after your exam and show "Passed" or "Failed". Yeah, you won't get your certificate for a while, but the idea of knowing you passed or failed is the peace of mind you want after the exam. And! You can e-mail the results to yourself to keep or to show your boss or show your friends!

Just wanted to share my news with all of you and for future-test-takers!

Get the "Pass The ABO Exam" book! And GOOD LUCK!!!

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got the book from someone on here. Loaned it to one of my co workers. She passed the exam on Friday. Definitely works
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats on passing!!!!!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Wow congrats! I've been playing with the idea of taking mine for a while now. Twas my only "resolution" this year and I still plan on sticking to it for Fall! I will definitely invest in this tool though. I've been told I should have no problem passing, but I do worry about all that pesky math I have never been taught. Really glad to have such solid reviews for this book!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Wow congrats! I've been playing with the idea of taking mine for a while now. Twas my only "resolution" this year and I still plan on sticking to it for Fall! I will definitely invest in this tool though. I've been told I should have no problem passing, but I do worry about all that pesky math I have never been taught. Really glad to have such solid reviews for this book!
    Yes! You should take it! And the book gives you all the math formulas you need and makes it easy to understand!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerOpticians View Post
    Yes! You should take it! And the book gives you all the math formulas you need and makes it easy to understand!
    was there alot of math questions?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    was there alot of math questions?

Yes, KNOW YOUR PRENTICE RULE. This is ALL over the test.

LOTS of transposing and transposing to reading SV and intermediate SV.

Also - How to figure out the base curve (get to know that formula) and the figuring the powers at the meridians. Deffo need to know this.

Cancel and compounding prisms - know which is which. This shows up a few times.

ALOT of my test had ANSI and adjustment questions. Not so much anatomy as I thought.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have used a System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, Third Edition along with different various optical websites. I also took some practice tests at passyouropticalboards.com.

I passed my ABO on the first try on May 21st! I was really excited to see the results right away!!! Can't wait to get my certificate!!!! And I have only been in the optical field for about half a year part-time before I took the test!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you understand the question, you'll be be able the eliminate most if not all of the wrong answers on a multiple choice test with relative ease, using only mental calculations. The math is very basic- the good schools will have all you need by at the most, grade eight, with the trig and geometry by grade 11.

Brush up on basic anatomy; I seem to remember needing to know the five layers of the cornea, but that was over 30 years ago. That's probably gone now, but you'll need it for the advanced, along with the refractive power of the cornea and lens, about 40 D and 20 D respectively.

http://www.ophthobook.com/questions/...their-function

I hope there are still vertex distance compensation questions- be prepared to calculate both principle meridians, and remember the mnemonic 'CAP'... 'closer add plus'.

http://www.medrounds.org/optics-review/2006/05/8.html
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 05-25-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    If you understand the question, you'll be be able the eliminate most if not all of the wrong answers on a multiple choice test with relative ease, using only mental calculations. The math is very basic- the good schools will have all you need by at the most, grade eight, with the trig and geometry by grade 11.

Brush up on basic anatomy; I seem to remember needing to know the five layers of the cornea, but that was over 30 years ago. That's probably gone now, but you'll need it for the advanced, along with the refractive power of the cornea and lens, about 40 D and 20 D respectively.

http://www.ophthobook.com/questions/...their-function

I hope there are still vertex distance compensation questions- be prepared to calculate both principle meridians, and remember the mnemonic 'CAP'... 'closer add plus'.

http://www.medrounds.org/optics-review/2006/05/8.html
    The 5 layers of the cornea question was not on my test, but you should still know them just in case it pops up on yours if you're taking the exam.

Remember - each exam is different!

I would say, the first two ABO exams I took (the first in Feb 2015 and the second in 2015) weren't ~as hard~ as the one I took on May 21st.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or perhaps you were better prepared!

Remember - each exam is different!

I would say, the first two ABO exams I took (the first in Feb 2015 and the second in 2015) weren't ~as hard~ as the one I took on May 21st.[/QUOTE]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think these books are great for people already certified. I passed the ABO years ago but like to brush up on formulas etc. Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'll buy the book!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just purchasedPass The ABO Exam book by Gary McArrell for the $49. I hope you are right TylerOpticians
    . I've been an optician for 8 years. I think it's time for me to get my ABO. I'm so nervous

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also passed thanks to McArrell's book. Considering I only had 2 months to study, it was lifesaver.

Shout out to mrsbradford85! Reppin' the Haystack.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Someone please tell me where I can get Gary's book? Helping someone to prepare to take it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Me too... I am taking my test in August and if this book will help me pass I need to know where to get this book!! Please

Thread Information