Thread: just failed the NCLE for the first ime.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

just failed the NCLE for the first ime.

So I spent a lot of time focusing on the math around k values and lacremal lenses and vertex distances. but then I got stumped on questions like "what contacts would best match this rx and lifestyle." and all the stuff about the equipment used to verify contacts and fittings.

this was really a hail mary for me because im moving to FL in a couple of months. ive been with my company for 9 years and an abo certified fulltime optician for 6 years. but ive literally never had to handle contacts. Im currently in a non licensed state tho. so Im nervous about the culture shock that will be. at the same time I find comfort in my vocation. a lot of focus is business centered but my optical base keeps my going. failing the NCLE was a kick in the teeth. but I feel like I should actually get some hands on time with contacts and equipment before I test again.

SO any feedback is welcomed but im looking for books to buy; advice from ppl that have made a shift from non licensed states to licensed state. advice about the NCLE. also I get that GP lenses dont need to correct coreneal astigmatism but when do you start adding half the cyl for spherical equivalent in soft lenses.

please feel free to PM me

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do opticians really fit contacts often in Florida? I can tell you care quite a bit about what you do from that post. Someone like you should definitely have a place in this world we live in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Do opticians really fit contacts often in Florida? I can tell you care quite a bit about what you do from that post. Someone like you should definitely have a place in this world we live in.
    Passing the NCLE and the contact lens portion of the Florida State Board exam is a requirement. The only advice I can give him is to study hard . Also go into the Facebook page of professional opticians of Florida and post for help.look around for Leslie in that page. Best help around. Sorry cannot remember her last name.

Cng

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go to National Academy of Opticianry. "Beginning Your Life as a Contact Lens Technician". Study guide for testing. Nao.org or call 800-229-4828.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thread Information