Thread: Help! +13.00 questions about lens designs

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Help! +13.00 questions about lens designs

I have a patient that is currently in a lenticular rd 22. His rx is : OU +13.00-0.75x180 Add:+2.50
    He wants a digitally surfaced lens if at all possible. So far, the lab has tried a Shamir Duo and a Shamir Auto II with no success at cut out or blank availability. They also, tried their in house brands and though they can manipulate the software when it comes to blank selection they couldn't do it.

My question is: Is there any digitally surfaced lens Bifocal or progressive that would work in this power or is the patient pretty much stuck wearing the Lenticular?

Thanks
    Pez:D

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Identity Optical recently did a -20.00 with some cyl for us. Not sure if this is in their range, but it would be my first stop!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Not that I'm aware of.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would check with Zeiss, and Rodenstock, and not necessarily in that order.
    Eyes wide open

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The aspheric lenticular that he is wearing is the best he is going to get...right now. Distance contacts with reading over would be nice.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    for high plus Rx's especially PAL,

an aspheric front surface will yield the best results cosmetically, and optically if you consider lens thickness.

IOT camber really shines in this area, as you get the thinness of a molded/front aspheric PAL, and the benefits of a digitally processed lens and design flexibility.

Seiko Surmount also excells by using a convex add section. I believe the superior does this as well if I remember correctly.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pezfaerie View Post
    I have a patient that is currently in a lenticular rd 22. His rx is : OU +13.00-0.75x180 Add:+2.50
    He wants a digitally surfaced lens if at all possible. So far, the lab has tried a Shamir Duo and a Shamir Auto II with no success at cut out or blank availability. They also, tried their in house brands and though they can manipulate the software when it comes to blank selection they couldn't do it.

My question is: Is there any digitally surfaced lens Bifocal or progressive that would work in this power or is the patient pretty much stuck wearing the Lenticular?

Thanks
    Zeiss might be able to make a PAL in a 1.74, but the off-axis vision will be poor. They'll probably need a better solution for near tasks (see below).

http://questopticallab.com/services.html

Talk to Michael Walach. They use a semi-finished Super Modular round 22mm and work the ocular surface on a free-form generator. Expect to see a cr39 and at least a +14 Bc. While you're there, check if they can put together a pair of SVNO in a high Abbe material.

For traditional solutions, use a Super Modular (Essilor) or Bristol.

http://www.bcdlens.com/downloads/BCD..._Reference.pdf
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eek!, Shamir's Rx range will get that far , but I'd really rather use an auto 3 1.74 index. Auto 2 was never really great for big hyperopes. Mechanix's aside this is a huge communication issue - Is your patient motivated towards the limited channel of a progressive? Big difference from what they're used to. If they get cold feet - there is much to be culled from Robert Martellaro's typically great advice. But if they're keen on a progressive, and properly understand the difference involved - try a 1.74 Autograph 3 from Shamir.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would try an IOT lens like Camber - they can play with cutout and lens design much more. I can't remember if I've gone quite to +13.00 but I've gotten close, definitely in the +9, +10 range.

Good luck to you, I hope you metered his expectations well withing a cautious reality. Its likely going to be a bumpy ride for a while at best.

Occupation
    Camber only goes to an 8 base 1.67, so I don't think you're going to have any luck getting it that high. That might just be in the range of a high-based (11-12) 167 backside free-form design, assuming a small frame, but usually the high plus are more difficult than the high minus. If you have particulars of the rest of the script/frame, I can try and calculate it to see if it would be possible.

I do know Rodenstock offers custom-made-in-germany options for the really high stuff, but I don't know about the cost/time for that. Could be an option if you have to have something besides what he's currently wearing, however.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by other_bill_fea View Post
    I do know Rodenstock offers custom-made-in-germany options for the really high stuff, but I don't know about the cost/time for that. Could be an option if you have to have something besides what he's currently wearing, however.
    Up to +13 D for the Hyperop.

http://www.interoptik.ro/en/lentile-...ession-hyperop

I'm not familiar with the details of the Hyperop's surface design, maybe similar to Zeiss's approach, where they work the front curve and place the PAL design on the front with a free-form generator, and then on the back with a free-form or traditional generator. I would give the nod to Zeiss, especially with the additional base curve reduction possible with the 1.74 refractive index, probably about +9, allowing an ocular curve of roughly -1. Still, probably unwearable for most, although the significantly improved cosmesis might provide enough motivation to overcome the poor vision compared to traditional and proper solutions.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here I thought aphakia was a thing of the past, except for babies until their eyes are mature enough to handle an IOL. I'm assuming this patient is an aphakic adult. If instead it's a phakic hyperope, it needs to have cataract surgery or refractive lens exchange to rid itself of the horrible optics of that Rx. If aphakic, there'd better be a good reason not to implant iols. Or as we did in the old days, it's either contacts or its aspheric lenticulars and watch your step.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Zeiss might be able to make a PAL in a 1.74, but the off-axis vision will be poor. They'll probably need a better solution for near tasks (see below).

http://questopticallab.com/services.html

Talk to Michael Walach. They use a semi-finished Super Modular round 22mm and work the ocular surface on a free-form generator. Expect to see a cr39 and at least a +14 Bc. While you're there, check if they can put together a pair of SVNO in a high Abbe material.

For traditional solutions, use a Super Modular (Essilor) or Bristol.

http://www.bcdlens.com/downloads/BCD..._Reference.pdf
    Walach made a strong plus for us. I can't describe here. It was a design I had not thought of before. PM and I' send and email or call you.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Individual 2 1.74 would be stellar, unless you need a large blank.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Thank you all for the suggestions. It seems that the software has no issues with it but in real life manufacturing of the lens isn't going to happen. But we shall see...still not giving up just yet.
    Pez:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe that technology can produce what your heart desires, but please remember that the patient is visually best served with a segment with a NOC that is close to the DOC.

If you have a opportunity, find a copy of "Spectacles for Aphakia" by Benton and Welsh, that will assist you in serving this person.
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    According to the chart I have, the 1.74 in the Varilux Physio DRX, or W3 up to a +13.00. Also, Hoya makes up to a 19 base in Trivex, which might work for the house brand digital progressives as well. I would also be willing to run some calculations if you provide the other measurements.

James

Thread Information