Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to sell multiple pairs

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best way to sell multiple pairs

I have some new opticians here in the office and I am trying to teach them the best way to bring up and sell multiple pairs, anybody have some updated advice on the best way to have success with this?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Spiffs always work.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spiffs/Bonuses/Incentives always work best. As far as the actual selling, one must be able to connect the need of additional pairs to the patient's lifestyle (Example, a pair of reading glasses for the progressive wearer who does needle work or a pair of polarized sunglasses for the avid fisherman, etc). Also helps to run promotions in house to help increase multiple pair sales (Examples: package deal on a second pair, buy one pair & get XX% or $XX off, buy a year supply of contacts and get $XX off on plano suns, etc)
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am not a fan of spiffs, because they can too easily incentivize selling unnecessary or counterindicated products. You don't want your patient to feel upsold, you want them to want that second pair and to feel like they made the best decision for themselves in selecting it.

In my humble opinion, in-house promotions are the best tool here. I'm a fan of "free" being a stronger incentive than "XX% off," as in "Buy two complete pairs of glasses with premium A/R or polarized, get the second frame free." Use your lab's second-pair discount (if you don't have one, negotiate one immediately). The patient can use their insurance discount on their first pair, but must pay regular retail on the second set of lenses. If the patient is getting a premium lens add-on such as polarized, transitions, digital progressives, or a premium A/R, your gains will more than compensate for the wholesale cost of their second (less expensive) frame. Your opticians are empowered with a strong sales tool, and your patients are empowered to get a second, "lifestyle" pair of glasses. Even if the free frame adds up to the same dollar amount as a hypothetical 20% off, people get more excited about having gotten something free than a discount.

Remember to keep the long view; you're selling a relationship, not just today's glasses. Patients who are happy with their first multiple pair will never want to be without multiple pairs. You do not want your patients to feel like they're being "sold."
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow. Good post, Hamm-er.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by btomford92 View Post
    I have some new opticians here in the office and I am trying to teach them the best way to bring up and sell multiple pairs, anybody have some updated advice on the best way to have success with this?
    It starts at the phone call, how many pairs of glasses do you have and bring those in with you. The Big Chair plays a huge roll Dr's suggestions and I provide samples of lenses for patients to play with in the waiting room to initiate conversation. I like Chemistrie Clips and have 3 sample sets, Optical, Waiting room, Contact fitting room.
    I believe that you need an eyewear wardrobe. Stress the importance of quality sunglasses to C/L patients as well as suitable glasses. I give a discount on second pairs providing the frame comes from us, if you want to offer incentives that's up to you.
    I would not recommend giving anything away, as I feel that this technique devalues product and gives the illusion that you are charging too much. Everyone in the optical should be wearing the latest styles in frames with the latest lenses and lens coatings. You don't sell what you don't wear. Our office manager at the front desk is routinely asked what she is wearing.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I usually mention they get a 20-30% off a second pair. that works sometimes. however, the discounts given here are very strict =/

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I am not a fan of spiffs, because they can too easily incentivize selling unnecessary or counterindicated products. You don't want your patient to feel upsold, you want them to want that second pair and to feel like they made the best decision for themselves in selecting it.

In my humble opinion, in-house promotions are the best tool here. I'm a fan of "free" being a stronger incentive than "XX% off," as in "Buy two complete pairs of glasses with premium A/R or polarized, get the second frame free." Use your lab's second-pair discount (if you don't have one, negotiate one immediately). The patient can use their insurance discount on their first pair, but must pay regular retail on the second set of lenses. If the patient is getting a premium lens add-on such as polarized, transitions, digital progressives, or a premium A/R, your gains will more than compensate for the wholesale cost of their second (less expensive) frame. Your opticians are empowered with a strong sales tool, and your patients are empowered to get a second, "lifestyle" pair of glasses. Even if the free frame adds up to the same dollar amount as a hypothetical 20% off, people get more excited about having gotten something free than a discount.

Remember to keep the long view; you're selling a relationship, not just today's glasses. Patients who are happy with their first multiple pair will never want to be without multiple pairs. You do not want your patients to feel like they're being "sold."

We've got a 25% off 2nd pair as our main promotion. However this applies to anyone else in the household, not just the patient getting the glasses. Encourages families to all come at the same time. Ex. Husband buys prog, wife gets 25% off her pair. We give patients up to 30 days after the original purchase to take advantage of this. Currently, for the month of May we have a 50% second pair special, however must be the same patient, and at the same time as the original purchase. You can have different monthly promotions and spiffs etc, just keep throwing til something sticks. GL!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with earlier posts in that it starts with scheduling the apt. Bring in all your glasses, computer, sun etc. That puts a thought in their mind. When they go back to get pretested and the tech reads the glasses, they should ask again if they have reading or sunglasses.... Doc should ask/recommend. Then when it comes to the optician the thought is already there. Small second pair discount is appreciated, but I wouldn't give them away. Again it devalues the product. If you can do a second pair so cheap why am I paying so much for the first pair?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Small second pair discount is appreciated, but I wouldn't give them away. Again it devalues the product. If you can do a second pair so cheap why am I paying so much for the first pair?
    This^^^

Free anything de-values your products/services.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Small second pair discount is appreciated, but I wouldn't give them away. Again it devalues the product. If you can do a second pair so cheap why am I paying so much for the first pair?
    I think this is a patient communication issue. I always phrase whatever multiple pair special I have in the context of wanting to make it possible for my patient to protect their eyes with sunglasses, or to make their work easier with a computer-specific pair. Again, one of the advantages of not getting spiffs is that I can tell my patients, "I don't make commission on anything. I just want to put you in the best possible glasses for your life and your budget." It helps if you can convince them you're on the same team.

I think we can over-obsess on the "devaluing product" angle. Anyone with insurance, or anyone who has ever bought anything on sale, knows how retail discounts work. They know that wholesale prices and retail prices are different, and why. Consumers are smart, and have more tools than ever to become informed. I think we have a lot to gain by treating them like they're smart and by educating them further. Services are another story; exams should probably never be discounted or given away.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Also, please make sure you understand that I'm not talking about giving a second pair away free. I'm talking about the second frame being free with purchase of two complete pairs. That adds up to about a 20-25% discount in the end.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree.

Think "want."

No matter who the corp is behind them, if people come in seeking Ray ban, Oakley, MJ, etc...MAKE IT AVAILABLE to them!

B

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Anything you give away free or at a discount indicates ............................

Anything you give away free or at a discount indicates to the consumer that you make enough profit on the original purchase that you can well afford to give away any amount of discount you offer.

Buy one and get the second at no charge, is an indication you make enough money that there is still a profit after you delivered 2 pairs or you could not afford to do it..

The difference of discounts is, if you sell larger quantities of the same product at your regular price less a quantity discount, as a full box of the same product, as wholesaler does.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well, you've got to do what's right for your business, of course. But in all the years I've worked with a free second frame promotion, I've seen nothing but increased second pair sales, increased AR sales, increased polarized sales, increased photochromic sales, increased occupational lens sales, and increased new patients due to my very satisfied clients referring their friends and family to me. And no one has huffed, "Well, I think that devalues my glasses!" and stormed out of my office.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

First, the OD must make specific recommendations in the room.

Next, the opticians lingo is important. I never ask a patient what they want. Instead, I head to the frames board and choose what I honestly believe is the best frames for the patient based on fit and face shape. I never pay attention to the price while selecting. Once we choose a frame I construct the lenses based on needs. I never ask the patient if they want AR, Instead, I say 'the doctor recommends, AR, transitions, etc. I always choose freeform progressive lenses if multifocal are prescribed. I tell the patient, these are the lenses I wear, they are top of the line etc. I never push or oversell anything. The funny thing is, a high percentage of patients- go with what I recommend and are usually so in love with the frames that they buy them even if they're 500.00+. For those on a budget, we choose a less expensive frame first and then I rework the lenses to fit it (budget), if necessary.
    As far as the second pair goes, I often start with the second pair first, whether it be sun's or computer/readers or occupational.
    I have found it very interesting that just the simple act of laying suns out for them to try on often elicits a sell even when I doubted it would.
    I do discount the second pair as well. Usually 10-20 % depending on what they get.
    Last edited by Lori; 05-10-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post

Next, the opticians lingo is important. I never ask a patient what they want. Instead, I head to the frames board and choose what I honestly believe is the best frames for the patient based on fit and face shape. I never pay attention to the price while selecting. Once we choose a frame I construct the lenses based on needs. I never ask the patient if they want AR, Instead, I say 'the doctor recommends, AR, transitions, etc. I always choose freeform progressive lenses if multifocal are prescribed.
    +1

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    Hmm. Mixed feeling on this. Patients wants it because it reduces decision fatigue.

However, easily subject to abuse, especially where branded products are prescribed or recommended that are owned by the company that owns their practice management group.

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The prescriber's word is gold to the patients. When my doc tells them you need progressives or AR etc. they come into the dispensary with their mind already set on purchasing those things simply on the grounds that "the doctor told me I need X, y, and z". I usually don't even have to give them the reasons why its good for them. They will always take the docs recommendations to heart. Re-enforcing them at the time of purchase only makes them feel more assured of their decision to purchase those add-ons or upgrade to a progressive. When the doc tells them simply to talk to me regarding what they need, they walk in with hesitation. So educating them on what will fulfill they needs takes a bit longer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dv View Post
    The prescriber's word is gold to the patients. When my doc tells them you need progressives or AR etc. they come into the dispensary with their mind already set on purchasing those things simply on the grounds that "the doctor told me I need X, y, and z". I usually don't even have to give them the reasons why its good for them. They will always take the docs recommendations to heart. Re-enforcing them at the time of purchase only makes them feel more assured of their decision to purchase those add-ons or upgrade to a progressive. When the doc tells them simply to talk to me regarding what they need, they walk in with hesitation. So educating them on what will fulfill they needs takes a bit longer.
    Whether they come to you armed with the Dr's recommendation or not, this should not add too nor should it reduce the time spent with your client during the interview process. That time spent is critical when determining the customers needs and matching suitability of lens designs, as that is a conversation the Dr doesn't generally have with the patient.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It absolutely starts with Doctor's recommendations. It's an influence that must be used wisely and responsibly.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I completely agree with you. Trust me, if anything some people may say I spend "too much time helping them". Finding the perfect mix of functionality, comfort and style is very important to me. To hear them come back and say " I have loved my glasses/they are perfect for what I need" is the ultimate goal always. It's the planting of the seed that I am referring to and how it affects the interview.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    my humble opinion, identify why multiple pairs works for the patient. example, you may have a bank executive with weekly sport activity walk in to your store. share with him how a pair of progressive works to his convenience, extended reading glasses work as his sport shoe for sport but this to enhance he comfort on working desk. lastly a daily disposable contact lenses to help on his sport activity.

make it a habit to introduce multiple pairs to your patient, eventually it will works.
    Yeap

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It is every bit as important for us to educate our patients about lens products' failings as their features. Transitions are not a substitute for sunglasses; progressives are not a substitute for dedicated computer glasses. I don't dispense multiple pairs to make spiffs, I do it to improve my patients' lives.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    exactly

Thread Information