Thread: Bausch & Lomb Vertometer 21-65-70

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Bausch & Lomb Vertometer 21-65-70

"Inherited" a really old lensometer/vertometer from one of our docs who was going to toss it out because it no longer lights up. Checked everything over and found that the wires on the light source had worked loose and shorted out. Re-soldered them in place and macgyvered a new holder for the socket. Bulb is toast however and replacements are difficult to come by. My question is, would it be possible/advisable to re-wire the whole thing and put in a battery powered LED light source? The old wiring is just that... OLD. I'm afraid that it could someday short again and cause a fire. An LED light source would eliminate the heat and the worry about a fire, but I'm concerned about any effect on the accuracy of the readings.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper The old B&L lensometer ist still today one of the best ......................

Quote Originally Posted by MadCatUSA View Post

"Inherited" a really old lensometer/vertometer from one of our docs who was going to toss it out because it no longer lights up. Checked everything over and found that the wires on the light source had worked loose and shorted out. Re-soldered them in place and macgyvered a new holder for the socket. Bulb is toast however and replacements are difficult to come by.
    The old B&L lensometer ist still today one of the best an most accurate instrument in its field. Bulbs are easy to get as it is still popular and many opticians are still looking for a used one. Bulbs are easy to get.

Here is a sample:

Browse other Categories here: Shop here Hand-Held Instruments Batteries & Fuses Dental Replacement Light Bulbs Exam Room Supplies General Lighting LED Ophthalmic/Med/Surg Bulbs & Accessories Recording Paper Recycling Kits Veterinary Applications
    B&L MODEL 70 VERTOMETER - FROST

Click image
    for larger view
    List Price: $7.00 per EACH
    Qty:
    Part Manufacturers: GENERAL ELECTRIC
    Categories: Lensmeter - B & L
    Watts: 25W
    Finish : FROSTED
    Filament : C-7A
    Maximum Overall Length (in): 2.25 IN
    Equipment Type_: LENSMETER
    Instrument Model 1: MODEL 70 VERTOMETER 21-65-21
    Instrument Model 2: 71-26-62
    Volts: 120V
    Bulb Info: INCANDESCENT
    Base: CANDELABRA SCREW (E12)
    Shape: S11
    Average Life (hrs): 500 HOURS
    Lumens: 190L

check it at: ==============>

http://www.litesourceinc.com/Itemdes...0-FROST&eq=&Tp

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They can do amazing things with old Vertometers. If you plan to use it it may be worth reconditioning it.

http://www.oic2020.com/index.php?opt...d=50&Itemid=59

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    They can do amazing things with old Vertometers. If you plan to use it it may be worth reconditioning it.

http://www.oic2020.com/index.php?opt...d=50&Itemid=59
    That's what I'm working on doing. Tearing it down (not completely, but enough to access moving parts), cleaning and re-lubing gears, etc. Our optometrist would like us to use it since she doesn't trust the readings off the sparkly new automated, computerized lensometer that we have now.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The old B&L lensometer ist still today one of the best an most accurate instrument in its field. Bulbs are easy to get as it is still popular and many opticians are still looking for a used one. Bulbs are easy to get.

Here is a sample:

Browse other Categories here: Shop here Hand-Held Instruments Batteries & Fuses Dental Replacement Light Bulbs Exam Room Supplies General Lighting LED Ophthalmic/Med/Surg Bulbs & Accessories Recording Paper Recycling Kits Veterinary Applications
    B&L MODEL 70 VERTOMETER - FROST

Click image
    for larger view
    List Price: $7.00 per EACH
    Qty:
    Part Manufacturers: GENERAL ELECTRIC
    Categories: Lensmeter - B & L
    Watts: 25W
    Finish : FROSTED
    Filament : C-7A
    Maximum Overall Length (in): 2.25 IN
    Equipment Type_: LENSMETER
    Instrument Model 1: MODEL 70 VERTOMETER 21-65-21
    Instrument Model 2: 71-26-62
    Volts: 120V
    Bulb Info: INCANDESCENT
    Base: CANDELABRA SCREW (E12)
    Shape: S11
    Average Life (hrs): 500 HOURS
    Lumens: 190L

check it at: ==============>

http://www.litesourceinc.com/Itemdes...0-FROST&eq=&Tp
    Prices vary pretty wildly. I've found them from $1.25/bulb all the way up to $9.99/bulb. My major concern is the wiring being so old that it could short out and start a fire. That is why I was inquiring about the possibility of doing a complete re-wire on it and lighting with an LED source instead of the incandescent bulb that's there now.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    I have never heard of somebody changing it to LED lightning so I can not give an opinion on that.

However keeping it the way it was will work for sure. internal wiring is so short that just about anybody could put new wires in. Take out the lamp socket and solder or screw on the 2 new wires and you are done. The ground wire goes on the body, very simple.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I have never heard of somebody changing it to LED lightning so I can not give an opinion on that.

However keeping it the way it was will work for sure. internal wiring is so short that just about anybody could put new wires in. Take out the lamp socket and solder or screw on the 2 new wires and you are done. The ground wire goes on the body, very simple.
    Yeah, I need to talk to the doc that brought it in from her own supply since it does essentially belong to her whether or not she wants it changed over to an LED or just re-wire the whole thing to make it safer.

Occupation
    Forget about an LCD light source. I would just replace the wiring and the lamp socket. If all of this seem like too much trouble I will swing by Folsom on our next trip down the I-80 to Orinda and give you $20.00 for the old boat anchor.

You might also consider having it professionally overhauled. It's without a doubt the best lensometer on the market and well worth reconditioning.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A few hundred bucks every 10 years for a working precision ophthalmic instrument done by pro's who's business is fixing and re-calibrating is money well spent imho.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thanks all for the info! Need to discuss with Doc and see how she wants to proceed. BTW... My "macgyver" fix for the lamp socket was to remove the brass socket portion from the plastic holder that it had been in, resolder the wires in place and then carved a new "sleeve" from a wood dowel until it matched the diameter and wall thickness of the original plastic sleeve. Works great since all it needs to do is hold the socket away from the metal walls of the bulb holder.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    UPDATE:
    My "Macguyver" worked! We finally received the replacement bulb yesterday. I was able to install it and the lensometer works great now. Doc is very happy to have this beautiful piece of technology working again. Pics below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lensometer 1.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	12731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lensometer 2.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	12732

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCatUSA View Post
    UPDATE:
    My "Macguyver" worked! We finally received the replacement bulb yesterday. I was able to install it and the lensometer works great now. Doc is very happy to have this beautiful piece of technology working again. Pics below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lensometer 1.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	12731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lensometer 2.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	12732
    From what I understand, the grey ones were originally military. I bought one just like that for an OMD office about 8 years ago. Still origional wires and fine.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    From what I understand, the grey ones were originally military. I bought one just like that for an OMD office about 8 years ago. Still origional wires and fine.
    Huh... Interesting to know. I guess I never asked the doc where she got it, she said it's been sitting in her garage for about 10 years.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Converting to LED would require an AC to DC transformer, a current limiting resistor, and the LED. The transformer can be as simple as a USB phone charger which would supply 5v that would also keep your inside mods minimal. I would choose the LED specific to the reference wavelength d-line. The benefit would be no chromatic aberration when reading lenses. You would get much crisper mires. Should be a simple conversion one thing you should keep in mind if you are going to do it is that a traditional light source is going to spread light more evenly from the source where a LED is going to have a low angle of spread that may or may not effect the power readings I would guess you may have a hard time fine tuning a RX to a usable resolution if this is a problem. Next the LED is much lower in profile than the bulb that is being replaced so you may need to build up the base to accommodate for this additional distance otherwise your meter will be off by a certain factor on all scripts, linear error so it could be just a recalibration of the scale on the drums to fix. Good luck on your adveture.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Converting to LED would require an AC to DC transformer, a current limiting resistor, and the LED. The transformer can be as simple as a USB phone charger which would supply 5v that would also keep your inside mods minimal. I would choose the LED specific to the reference wavelength d-line. The benefit would be no chromatic aberration when reading lenses. You would get much crisper mires. Should be a simple conversion one thing you should keep in mind if you are going to do it is that a traditional light source is going to spread light more evenly from the source where a LED is going to have a low angle of spread that may or may not effect the power readings I would guess you may have a hard time fine tuning a RX to a usable resolution if this is a problem. Next the LED is much lower in profile than the bulb that is being replaced so you may need to build up the base to accommodate for this additional distance otherwise your meter will be off by a certain factor on all scripts, linear error so it could be just a recalibration of the scale on the drums to fix. Good luck on your adveture.
    Excellent suggestions! Before I was able to locate a bulb source, I was considering mounting an LED array from a flashlight into the area where the bulb would have been originally and then wiring that to a low-voltage AC adapter (Used to be able to get variable voltage transformers like that at Radio Shack, but since they've gone under, I guess maybe Fry's or Amazon?) to power the whole rig. However, since we have found a replacement bulb source, it's working great as it was originally designed (minus my mod to hold the socket in place.)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I provide most replacement parts for Vertometer, Lensometer, Marco 101 and other ophthalmic equipment.
    In this business new is not always improved.
    www.themachineryworks.com

Thread Information