Thread: Conant lens manufacturer review

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Conant lens manufacturer review

Hello everyone!

I would like to know any reviews on lens manufacturer from China Conant. I'm interested in to begin wholesaling business with them in Russia and would like to get as much as possible reviews about this plant, its quality, its servises etc.

Please if anyone do business with them reply on my post.
    Thank you in advance.

BR
    michael

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just started to use some of the 1.56 Hi-Vex and it appears very soft and it chipped out when being drilled: I am not sure what the advantage is over trivex other than offering a material with UV 420 built-in.
    I am curious as to why the material should gain traction. I had samples many years ago and never found a niche for it.

Why do you want to offer this product in Russia?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Hi, Craig!
    Thank you for your quick reply. I would likely use its 15 and 16(probably). I'm looking for reliable private label supplier. Speaking about uv420 I wish to use 16 from chemi.
    Last edited by misha.misha; 05-02-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know the 1.60 flat top 28 lenses I use some times are conant, the people who wear them (mostly higher minus w/cyl) love them. I have heard there are some curve variations from batch to batch from some wholesale lab guys on here so you have be more dilligent in surfacing but from a finishing/end user point of view they make a great product.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Tallboy, thanks. Thank you for paying my attention to the point of differen curve variation. For wholesaling companies like mine it is rather important to have reliable source. I would of course include this statement in the contract!

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've used some of it, and I wouldn't call it soft. It is hard to the point of being brittle, so you have to be careful and make sure to do a nice pin bevel. I've also found that you really need to specify center or edge thicknesses AND base curves or you can get some strange lenses. The benefits of Hivex are high ABBE, very impact resistant, UV blocking, some blue blocking, and it edges like cr39. Unlike trivex, it can shatter if hit hard enough, so I tend to prefer trivex for most jobs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    I've used some of it, and I wouldn't call it soft. It is hard to the point of being brittle, so you have to be careful and make sure to do a nice pin bevel. I've also found that you really need to specify center or edge thicknesses AND base curves or you can get some strange lenses. The benefits of Hivex are high ABBE, very impact resistant, UV blocking, some blue blocking, and it edges like cr39. Unlike trivex, it can shatter if hit hard enough, so I tend to prefer trivex for most jobs.
    My question is why would anyone use it unless for the UV420 properties to combine with a blue blocking ar. We are using it for that but am looking to replace it as soon as possible with trivex.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I don't think the 1.56 is designed to compete with trivex. We only drill trivex or poly. Really no comparison with the 1.56 and trivex. There were some inconsistencies with true curves.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    My question is why would anyone use it unless for the UV420 properties to combine with a blue blocking ar. We are using it for that but am looking to replace it as soon as possible with trivex.
    Blue blocking AR are bad. They reflect and concentrate backside blue into the eyes and some even reflect and concentrate backside UV in to the eyes.

Not to mention they are hideous looking, and reflect uv and blue towards anyone the wearer is looking at (second hand blue).

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I don't think the 1.56 is designed to compete with trivex. We only drill trivex or poly. Really no comparison with the 1.56 and trivex. There were some inconsistencies with true curves.
    We drill Hivex a lot and have had no problem with starring like poly does. Hivex is NOT the same as the old 1.56.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thank you all for participating in this discussion. My original interest is concerned 15 and 16. Do anyone have an experience with such indexes?!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    does someone have something to add about products from this factory?! I'm going to be there in a few days.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    its cheaper than Trivex, its thinner than Trivex, it has a higher Abbe than Trivex, and its as light as poly and its safety approved. I would reverse the question and ask why would anyone continuing using Trivex?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    we were the first lab in the US to bring in Hivex 1.56, and their UV++ in 1.56, 1.60 and 1.67. The material is terrific. The only issues we have faced is that the hard coat around the end sometimes has defects and bubbles. But to my knowledge only twice we have had to return a blank as most of the time the defects cut off.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've cracked hi-vex compression mounting it. I can't say that for trivex.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    its cheaper than Trivex, its thinner than Trivex, it has a higher Abbe than Trivex, and its as light as poly and its safety approved. I would reverse the question and ask why would anyone continuing using Trivex?
    Then why is it not utilized at-all in our industry after being out for at-least 7 years? It is not that much cheaper nor thinner and the higher ABBE is again un-measurable to most humans. The material is soft and flakes out when drilling so it is not nearly as stable a material as trivex. I just got a pair for me and everyone in my office for the UV420 but no one prefers it to trivex who has a choice.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I do think that trivex is better than hi-vex in shatter resistance, but not in the other characteristics. I am now a bit worried about what chemicals may leach out during processing of both of these products. I hope someone tests them soon. I worry more about Hi-vex in this because of where they are made and the additives they have put in there to improve safety, blue blocking, etc. Sounds a bit like a witch's brew.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Hi everyone, 3 years passed and now I have a great experience with them.
    Im happy to choose them

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thanks for your support !

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Conant Eric Wang View Post
    Thanks for your support !
    my best regards to David 吴泽东 from Michael, Russia :)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    David is good here, we are in the same office. And we will participate the SILMO this year. Maybe you will see him again in France.

Thread Information