Thread: Making custom clip-ons

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Making custom clip-ons

Dutch optician here, I've been looking into making custom metal-rimmed sun clip-ons for my customers but information resources are almost not available (not surprising, considering it's a niche). A local company who did it before went dark after a possible bankruptcy.
    Since these products were quite popular within a certain customer group I wanted to see if it could be created in-house.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be very much appreciated. Hand bending stock rims doesn't sound like the way it's done commercially, even for custom work.
    Someone stole my megahurtz!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For more traditional looking clips reach out to David Salk at E Clips; he is developing a system for anyone with a drilling edger in conjunction with my team at www.LenSync.com. He can be reached at http://david-salk-eito.squarespace.com/

The one that is already up and going around the world is www.eyenavision.com; they do the magnetic clips called Chemistrie in any frame and is normally already programmed in your drill-able edger. They are great to work with and has help available around the world to support you in the process. They are also in www.LenSync.com and where the first in the industry to work with the edger companies.

They are impressive and will be easy to demonstrate to the consumer and build on the edger.
    Last edited by Craig; 05-02-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The glascrew is a lab in the Netherlands and they make the Chemistrie clip. http://www.glascrew.nl/

If you have an edger capable of drilling and would like to make them inhouse, then contact Optiplus (also in the Netherlands) and they can set you up to make them inhouse. http://www.optiplus.nl/chemistrie-eyewear

Feel from to send me a PM if you have questions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who makes clips in-house?

I was curious as to who does clips-in house and what kind they offer.
    Why do you have success with what you offer?

I may need to order a set of clips for myself today and check it out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like Chem clips way more than eclips. Mainly because we can offer a power layer for computer users (most folks) or clients than need something specialized ( overhead near tasks: electricians, plumbers, ect. ) If there is an objection to magnets in lenses we can put them in the frame front on plastic frames. Overall, Chem clips are way more versatile.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Does anybody still work with Made in the Shades? I used that custom clip product at Sterling Optical in Albany in 2000-2001 and it was a pretty cool system. Took a good technician to do it, though.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Does anybody still work with Made in the Shades? I used that custom clip product at Sterling Optical in Albany in 2000-2001 and it was a pretty cool system. Took a good technician to do it, though.
    Not sure on the made in the shades, but lets be honest all of the clip systems need a good technician to do them right. NOTHING is easy in our business for an untrained general worker.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    eClips has rimless, memory metal designs that can be made in any finishing lab. info@clipon.comClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ILLUSION ANNE Blue.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	12716

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Love me some Chemistrie Clips, an additional by-product; the magnets act as a WiFi booster and I get better reception.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    lol really??

We sell on avg about 20 a month of chem clips. people LOVE them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I like Chem clips way more than eclips. Mainly because we can offer a power layer for computer users (most folks) or clients than need something specialized ( overhead near tasks: electricians, plumbers, ect. ) If there is an objection to magnets in lenses we can put them in the frame front on plastic frames. Overall, Chem clips are way more versatile.
    what??? in the zyl?? do you do this yourself or the lab you use? Would be a great option to have for those riding the fence on them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-Eyes View Post
    what??? in the zyl?? do you do this yourself or the lab you use? Would be a great option to have for those riding the fence on them.
    Not a good idea if it's a picket fence, just saying.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimius View Post
    Dutch optician here, I've been looking into making custom metal-rimmed sun clip-ons for my customers but information resources are almost not available (not surprising, considering it's a niche). A local company who did it before went dark after a possible bankruptcy.
    Since these products were quite popular within a certain customer group I wanted to see if it could be created in-house.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be very much appreciated. Hand bending stock rims doesn't sound like the way it's done commercially, even for custom work.
    If you are looking for eyewire stock and other ophthalmic finding to fabricate your own metal frames and mountings you will have to do a lot of digging. Try The Thomas Register, the purchasing agents bible at http://www.thomasnet.com/. Back in the day you could go to Attleboro, Massachusetts but those days are long gone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    Not a good idea if it's a picket fence, just saying.
    indeed it is not

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the info guys, seems there was more out there than I thought.
    Someone stole my megahurtz!

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Big Smile

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cR clip.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	12725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plastic bridge.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	12726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RB bridge.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	12727

Hi,

You can make your own chassis by 3-D printing. Custom fit bridge with bridge bump too! air brush to match any color you like!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    eclips offers plus powered clips (has for YEARS) and is exclusive provider for BluTech. If a customers objects to the appearance of the magnets in the lenses (and some do), our ILLUSION clip is almost invisible, made from memory wire and is easy to take on and off.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illusion:Bevel:Crystal.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	12805

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea Clip-On's are able to be demonstrated and built in any ECP! Time to launch LenSync

We are proud to demonstrate how LenSync can help anyone build either an E Clip or one from Eyenovate with magnets while being able to send it to any edger in the world!
    This is the new era for optical; the ability to use a simple APP to build a custom clip from anywhere to be made anywhere to your exact specifications! We can also let you place the bevel on the lens while telling the edger what level of polish or safety bevel on the frame with 100% guarantee that it will not be missed in special instructions. We want the ECP to have complete control of what is built and allow the consumer to see what they are getting prior to it being built.

Welcome to the future with LenSync.

Craig Chasnov, Harry Chilinguerian and Dave Wedwick with more soon to be announced!

I cannot forget some of our biggest supporters and soon to be CE speakers for us: Mr. Barry Santini who will ensure what we bring to market is cutting edge and Dr. Warren McDonald who will ensure the old-guard is not left behind but embraced with new technology to ensure the consumer gets the best product possible from every one in the industry.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Can you post more info? I'm thinking about adding a used edger and if the drilling edger capability is a big deal, then I'd at least like to have an edger that has the options to upgrade to drill.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by javguy View Post
    Can you post more info? I'm thinking about adding a used edger and if the drilling edger capability is a big deal, then I'd at least like to have an edger that has the options to upgrade to drill.
    Talk to us before you buy any equipment and let us show you the possbilities with a nice piece of equipment. Go to www.LenSync.com for a 3 minute video that goes over about the first 15% of what we will offer.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We make specialty lenses in our clips all the time. We were the first to do computer clips to wear over progressives, and have promoted many other lens designs to be worn in our clip-ons, AND there are no magnets in the RX lenses (which some object to).

Thread Information