Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VSP on-line and competing with their own network doctors!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

VSP on-line and competing with their own network doctors!

It has finally happened and now what does a VSP doctor do when they can now only get an exam and PD fee?

www.eyeconic.com/home of VSP on-line and the financial end is closer for any doc who is 70% VSP.

Thoughts on how to make money now with VSP?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Makes Fezz and I look like geniuses...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is where they tell you it is in your best interest to do more exams and pd's! Any comments from VSP's own loyalists on how this is also to your advantage?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It has finally happened and now what does a VSP doctor do when they can now only get an exam and PD fee?

www.eyeconic.com/home of VSP on-line and the financial end is closer for any doc who is 70% VSP.

When did this reimbursement policy change? I would like to inform my boss as many of our patients are VSP, probably around 40%. Has the reimbursement rate changed for materials?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If reimbursement rate goes up, patients that go to VSP website w/ your PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
    When did this reimbursement policy change? I would like to inform my boss as many of our patients are VSP, probably around 40%. Has the reimbursement rate changed for materials?
    If you get more from your master than they will simply ensure that their clients get more from not using you and pay less by going to the direct to master portal called the internet!

Thoughts on how many of you are looking to find an alternative to managed care or is exam only plus a PD the way of the future if you take VSP.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow...just wow. You can get a NW frame with trivex progressive AR lenses for a total of $307. That's with no insurance? I'm assuming because I logged in as guest and no insurance was required. Also...just stop by any VSP office and they will adjust for free! All you have to do is upload a photo of your RX. Sounds awesome. And they'll price match too....although who can beat that price? I can't get a NW frame and trivex prog with AR for that price. Crazy. Oh and by the way... "Note: A standard measurement for Pupillary Distance may be used in case an exact measurement is not available."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Wow...just wow. You can get a NW frame with trivex progressive AR lenses for a total of $307. That's with no insurance? I'm assuming because I logged in as guest and no insurance was required. Also...just stop by any VSP office and they will adjust for free! All you have to do is upload a photo of your RX. Sounds awesome. And they'll price match too....although who can beat that price? I can't get a NW frame and trivex prog with AR for that price. Crazy. Oh and by the way... "Note: A standard measurement for Pupillary Distance may be used in case an exact measurement is not available."
    VSP is the real competition to OD's! They also have all the contact information once they decide to eliminate you totally from the glasses; take that for telling them you want to decide what lab or lens to use!
    VSP has responded to lawmakers telling them the dispenser needs a choice by giving their pre-pay customers a choice to use them direct on-line after you do the exam and take a nice PD.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lets add more fuel to this fire. They are now offering a 20% discount on glasses with a contact lens purchase along with an ADDITIONAL 20% off for being a VSP member.

"They got the whole world, in their hands....They got the whole wide world, in their hands......"
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office doesn't take VSP, but I worked with them years ago. Didn't like them then... I personally have a problem with theses companies that are manufacturers, insurers and retail. They just want the whole pie and I'm the one who needs the Pepto.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist

I'm close to 70% vsp and have seen only a handful of eyeconic cases so far. It's really a very small deal and as I've pointed out on other threads on this subject, the eyeconic deal is not all that bad. So far most, maybe all of them have used their standard vsp plan at my office, getting 1 or more pairs in the regular way, then I get this check for 30 or 40 dollars from eyeconic for basically doing nothing more for the same patient. Not a big problem. Could be trouble ahead, but I really don't see how they are going to make any real money on this, so I'm guessing it will eventually die under it's own weight.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    "They got the whole world, in their hands....They got the whole wide world, in their hands......"
    so funny!! ...i have a dream ....that one day... private practices can stop being bullied by insurance companies!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-Eyes View Post
    so funny!! ...i have a dream ....that one day... private practices can stop being bullied by insurance companies!!!
    I'm afraid the optical industry has been playing the Monopoly game too long. It is ONLY a dream now! This business is a nightmare.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    I'm close to 70% vsp and have seen only a handful of eyeconic cases so far. It's really a very small deal and as I've pointed out on other threads on this subject, the eyeconic deal is not all that bad. So far most, maybe all of them have used their standard vsp plan at my office, getting 1 or more pairs in the regular way, then I get this check for 30 or 40 dollars from eyeconic for basically doing nothing more for the same patient. Not a big problem. Could be trouble ahead, but I really don't see how they are going to make any real money on this, so I'm guessing it will eventually die under it's own weight.
    The only thing that will die under it's own weight will be the OD's that supported VSP.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't think those 20-30 K vsp checks will ever weigh me down. Nor will all those $500 reward cards.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Need an eye exam or adjustment?

The only thing that will die under it's own weight will be the OD's that supported VSP.\

From their website:
    NEED AN EYE EXAM OR ADJUSTMENT?

\
    We know a doc or two.

SEARCH NOW

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't carry any Marchin brands-nor Luxottica for that matter. I try to distinguish myself and am bring in more independent eyewear lines. The monopoly game played by these powerhouse companies feels like it borders on illegal practices. OD's and optician groups should unite and get laws changed.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper One more to join the gang at a very high speed .............................

Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post

I'm afraid the optical industry has been playing the Monopoly game too long. It is ONLY a dream now! This business is a nightmare.

The online selling website by VSP has now a global sucssess ranking of number 8 or 9 on Alexa at:

Global Rank Rank in United States

109,465 22,164

One more to join the gang at a very high speed, so start proposing changes that are needed and fast.
    I have been watching this change for years a have been laughed at right here on OptiBoard, but it has developed
    as I have seen it coming years ago.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Did anyone NOT see this coming??? The only bright side is that (I believe) vision plans are going to experience a significant decline in the future. Consumers are smartening up and realizing that paying for something BEFORE you buy it is ridiculous. Not to mention that many realize that REAL money gets you a better deal. I even tell my friends that have "great insurance" to go somewhere else and see me next year after they cancel their plan. They ask why and I tell them that their insurance 'money' isn't worth anything to me.
    Fourteen of my family members (including: aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, grandparents...and a great uncle) are, or have been in optical and...that's just crazytown at Christmas

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't forget that VSP is also in bed with the Evil Empire, giving discounts to VSP customers when they visit Lux...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionAiry View Post
    Did anyone NOT see this coming??? The only bright side is that (I believe) vision plans are going to experience a significant decline in the future. Consumers are smartening up and realizing that paying for something BEFORE you buy it is ridiculous. Not to mention that many realize that REAL money gets you a better deal. I even tell my friends that have "great insurance" to go somewhere else and see me next year after they cancel their plan. They ask why and I tell them that their insurance 'money' isn't worth anything to me.
    I believe most vision benefits are either written into the health plan level the patient chooses or as an added option or as with signature VSP are an employer provided benefit.

I don't see them going away anytime soon.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I believe most vision benefits are either written into the health plan level the patient chooses or as an added option or as with signature VSP are an employer provided benefit.

I don't see them going away anytime soon.
    Not saying they're going to go away, but we're already seeing an increase in the number of 'discount' plans which is essentially the same as nothing. I think VSP sees this trend which is one huge way they would benefit from being the eyewear provider. They would be able to give away their plans for free if they get most (or all) of the business on the back end. Practically no sensible consumer that possesses all the pertinent information will choose to purchase a vision plan. It doesn't make sense when you factor in the fact that quality glasses can be had much cheaper than the $700+ that VSP (for example) will tell you. The ONLY reason they do is because it's a one cheap line-item check box buried in a packet of benefits paperwork and they don't have the time or the inclination to investigate its value. As I say on a daily basis, would you buy "insurance" for oil changes and wiper blades? No, unless I told you an oil change and wiper blades were $250 every 3 months...and you believed me. It's sad when you realize that the vision plans are literally pointing their finger at US as the bad guys and THEY are going to protect(insure) them from our rampant price gouging.
    Fourteen of my family members (including: aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, grandparents...and a great uncle) are, or have been in optical and...that's just crazytown at Christmas

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Actually I'm seeing fewer discount only plans than funded ones these days. I see way more vsp choice plans than vsp signature plans for some reason, I guess it must be significantly cheaper for the funder. Was glad to see that RNP (regional network plans) have gone away. I do think that practices that primarily market economy end specs are probably not a good fit for funded vision plans.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    Actually I'm seeing fewer discount only plans than funded ones these days. I see way more vsp choice plans than vsp signature plans for some reason, I guess it must be significantly cheaper for the funder. Was glad to see that RNP (regional network plans) have gone away. I do think that practices that primarily market economy end specs are probably not a good fit for funded vision plans.
    I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods...but I have seen many more choice plans ...I think its because they force me to use one of their labs so they probably cut the cost to avoid having to pay a participating lab...just a random theory of mine

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-Eyes View Post
    I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods...but I have seen many more choice plans ...I think its because they force me to use one of their labs so they probably cut the cost to avoid having to pay a participating lab...just a random theory of mine
    Could be, but with the big new vsp folsom lab (sacramento county) practically in my back yard, I send almost all my finished work to them, and I see many of them re-routed to other labs, ostensibly because they can't do the job, or they are just to busy and are cherry picking the easy ones. It's certainly easier to pick from a list of 2 labs than one of many...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    The monopoly game played by these powerhouse companies feels like it borders on illegal practices.
    Agree. There's something almost dirty about it.

Thread Information