Thread: Maui Jim help

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Maui Jim help

I do not carry MJ, however I have made several sets of lenses for a customer's own MJ. He now wants to purchase a complete pair, the same as his current pair. I thought perhaps I could get the sunglasses and do the lenses for him. However I am not having much luck finding them. The frame is a 3 piece, MJ 907-2. I find similar looking suns, but they are not 3 piece, they appear to have a rim behind the lenses at the top.
    Can someone familiar with MJ give me some help with this?
    Thanks in advance

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In my past experience, when you order these frames, the frame on the board is constructed differently than what arrives. You have to warn the patient that the rxable version will look different. You place the order with Maui, and they cut the same shape and color into a 3 piece drill. I do not think you will be able to find the three piece mount online, etc. Perhaps someone who has an account might be able to order it for you. I had an account until Maui insisted we up our piece count last year.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I do not carry MJ, however I have made several sets of lenses for a customer's own MJ. He now wants to purchase a complete pair, the same as his current pair. I thought perhaps I could get the sunglasses and do the lenses for him. However I am not having much luck finding them. The frame is a 3 piece, MJ 907-2. I find similar looking suns, but they are not 3 piece, they appear to have a rim behind the lenses at the top.
    Thanks in advance
    The 907-2 is The Ho'okipa. On all Maui Jim rimless styles, they have 2 different versions of each. The plano version has the rim or brow bar on the back of the lenses. The only way that they will come without the brow bar on the back is if its part of an Rx order from Maui Jim.

The plano version of that frame you are probably seeing is 407
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks in advance
    Gutsy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonlef View Post
    Gutsy
    Not really. Likely that this patient had these frames for a while & the warranty has already expired on the frame itself. Plus, Maui Jim will not mount lenses into their own frames if the frame is no longer in production & they no longer have parts at the lab for the frame. Also Maui Jim adds an additional charge to use a patients own frame, which leads to some practices & locations offering to make lenses for them without sending to Maui Jim to lower the out of pocket expense to the patient/customer
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Gutsy
    I don't have a Maui account, and I'm very up front with the patient about not sending them to Maui, what that does to frame warranty, etc. I've had a lot of luck with some IOT designs, or the Autograph series. As long as you are realistic with the patient about the lenses, they are no different than any other designer sunglass frame. You can get polarized bi gradient mirror lenses in a variety of colors with good backside AR and satisfy a patient that would go somewhere else. If you have a good edger (better than mine), you can even finish in house for the minimal savings.

I didn't say any of this was cheap, though:)

What do you do/who do you use CME4SPECS?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks in advance
    Honestly I don't know if even someone with an account could get this, the frame that comes plano is different than the RX frame, Following to see how this goes.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do have a Maui Jim account and I am almost 100% positive that the only way to get that particular frame without the brow bar on the back is if it is ordered as a Rx set from Maui Jim.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    I do have a Maui Jim account and I am almost 100% positive that the only way to get that particular frame without the brow bar on the back is if it is ordered as a Rx set from Maui Jim.
    agreed

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everyone, you are confirming what I thought was the case

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gutsy?
    gutsy

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gutsy?
    Yeah putting non Maui Jim lenses in an MJ frame.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have a Maui account, and mount outside lenses into them, are you not at risk of losing the account? Or is this commonplace?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If you have a Maui account, and mount outside lenses into them, are you not at risk of losing the account? Or is this commonplace?
    The OP does not carry Maui Jim

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not really worried about the MJ police! I can put lenses in any damn frame I please!
    ( If I can get them)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What happens if Maui Jim asks you to do it for them? We did a rep's sons glasses because he was out of range from Maui Jim.
    We put non-Maui lenses in all the time when they want something not offered by MJ.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    What happens if Maui Jim asks you to do it for them? We did a rep's sons glasses because he was out of range from Maui Jim.
    We put non-Maui lenses in all the time when they want something not offered by MJ.
    Begs the question: Is Maui Jim incapable of doing an rx outside of their set parameters? How high of an rx and what specifics were needed to get this rx done.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    Begs the question: Is Maui Jim incapable of doing an rx outside of their set parameters? How high of an rx and what specifics were needed to get this rx done.
    I'm sure Maui Jim's lab equipment is capable of manufacturing somewhere beyond their stated limitations. They made a call on not whether they CAN do it, but rather on whether they SHOULD do it. The base curves present on most of their frames puts a practical limit on what can be done that results in a product that they are willing to put their name on.

David Burch was pretty frank about what the limitations were and why they were established during a Q&A after a continuing ed course this year in AK.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've been told you can have your account closed if you put non-maui lenses in a maui frame...but really, how are they going to know??? I believe they are able to make lenses outside of their perameters, but won't. Even if you know as a well-knowledged optician that the Rx would be fine or if it is only a little outside of the limits. I supposed there are a lot of bad opticians that have no clue what should be done and what really is outside of the limit of the frame. If they give in to one....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    they won't make any lenses more than 8 mm thick, so their RX dept is really limited which is unfortunate. But we have an unusual amount of high minus in this office!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Thread Information