Thread: Private office v.s Corporate

Bad address email on file Birdlady's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Private office v.s Corporate

Hello! So I'm new to optiBoard and it's a nice little site so far.
    Anyway, I'm wondering what everyone else's experiences are when it came to:
    working in a private practice vs working at a corporate(if that's the right word to call it) place (Sears, Lenscrafters, and Target etc)
    I just got my ABO in November (yay!) and since then I've been working at a somewhat fast-paced private office for the last year and I'm unsure now ...
    Now I've got the chance to work at Lenscrafters seeing as the manager's taking a liking to me but I'm used to the routine and comfortable and like my co-workers there...anyway

How is it going from a private practice to a corporate office like Lenscrafters?
    What are your experiences?
    For those of you that worked in both environments, any tips for new and upcoming opticians like myself?
    Thanks so much for taking the time to read this/respond to it!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper How is it going from a private practice to a corporate office like Lenscrafters?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlady View Post

How is it going from a private practice to a corporate office like Lenscrafters?

Welcome to OptiBoard, I hope you enjoy it and profit from it by getting others opinions, sometimes good and sometimes different.

My own opinion is that working for a large corporation is like to enlist into the Army. You have to follow the rules the way they are, if you want to advance in your position. You will become a number to head office.

In a private practice your employer can see your efforts and personality you display. and act accordingly.

You will get more experience in a much shorter time in a more personal environment.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Risk vs reward, lot's of variables and no absolutes. 1). Days open and required to work, 2). hours open and required to work, 3). earning potential, 4). career potential, 5). benefits, 6). the ability to relocate to another location to advance your salary and benefits. 1 and 2 generally in a private practice are the 8 to 5 Monday through Friday with an occasional evening or Saturday. While at a Corporate: Weekends and evenings are generally a given when working for a chain. Earning potential is generally higher with any corporation though. Same with benefits, corporations generally have the ability to offer better benefits. As far as liking where you work, both private and corporate can be great or not so great.

Occupation
    Assuming that you are a newcomer to the eye care vineyard I would suggest that you concentrate on the opportunity to increase your skill set and broaden your experience. Try to put money, hours and business model on the back burner. Get your feet wet and then make an educated decision.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I were you and I am not, I'd set my sights on the ABOM. Working at a high volume retail has it's benefits; providing you have someone there that can teach and mentor you. Proper fitting techniques and the ability to trouble shoot problems are crucial and most dispensers fail miserably in those areas. If you can learn and excel, a high volume location is a great place to pick up a lot of useful skills; like speed, consistency, and problem solving.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You will have quotas particularly with Bensfasters.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper If you can learn and excel ........................

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post

Proper fitting techniques and the ability to trouble shoot problems are crucial and most dispensers fail miserably in those areas. If you can learn and excel, a high volume location is a great place to pick up a lot of useful skills; like speed, consistency, and problem solving.

Some excellent advice.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My view may be a bit askew because I grew up in a private practice (Literally) but have so far worked corporate only.
    In a private practice it is much easier to build a relationship with your patients, you will typically have more time to discuss what is needed and suggest things as well. You will also have to ability to branch out more with frame and lens choices, which is great. But typically the benefits aren't as great as in a corporate office and keeping your competitive edge will take some effort( if that's your style).
    In a corporate office things will be at the same time smoother and more difficult because you will be given a set list of frames and lenses and generally do not get to deviate from it. That can help to speed things up if you familiarize yourself with all of the available options, but you will be unable to assist people who get caught on one particular brand or coating you don't carry. You will be weighed and measured by the monetary value you bring in and no amount of customer service will save you, its a sad truth of the business that is usually easy to overlook. But I think the one thing that bugs me most is the demands, because you are a corporate entity your customers will treat you as such. What that means in the end is that if they are unhappy they only need to go to the next associate or write to home office and they will get their way no matter what. ( an old retail saying in my state is "The squeaky wheel gets a new car." if that gives you a hint)

Both sides have their ups and downs, corporate is paying for my education completely, I couldn't expect that in a private office, but I have to put up with quite a few loons and odd rules. I do so miss my family's topcon edger though, beats my current office's AIT by miles... Hope that helps, ask any specifics you'd like.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Thread Information