Thread: Clients and cell phone pictures

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Clients and cell phone pictures

We have alot of young clients coming and looking at frames. Many want to take a cell phone picture to show their friends. Its the ones that start taking pictures of the Inside temple details and frame meeasurements that are a pain.

I would love to have a picture of a cell phone with a large cross placed at the front door but I do not think management will go for that . how do you handle this.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    We have alot of young clients coming and looking at frames. Many want to take a cell phone picture to show their friends. Its the ones that start taking pictures of the Inside temple details and frame meeasurements that are a pain.

I would love to have a picture of a cell phone with a large cross placed at the front door but I do not think management will go for that . how do you handle this.
    While it would be ideal to limit them taking pictures of the measurements of the frames itself, doing so wont stop them from looking online or elsewhere. All they really need to know is the frame manufacturer and style and can go from there.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    People ARE going crazy with this taking a picture phenomenon. I was just at a few CE classes at VEE and folks were getting up to snap a picture of the various screens in the presentation, rather than take notes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a lady whom I swear took EVERY single frame off the board and took a selfie with it. I cringe even thinking about it. She was in her mid 50's and did the "duck face" in every one. I had to leave the room.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the doctor doesn't like our patients to take a picture. however, if a patient is taking a selfie to get someone else's opinion I don't mind.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It use to bother me when they take pics, but not so much anymore. In fact it's a great tool, they can take a selfie then see what they look like. NOT EVERYONE is taking pics to look online!

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient that was on facetime for over an hour talking with live video to someone while she tried on every frame in the place. I think technology works great for people to "bring" a person who may not be physically able to be there with them. I see it often with children when one parent is at work and the other parent is trying to pick out the glasses. Literally none of this bothers me at all if it helps the patient feel more secure with their frame selection. What I DO mind is when parents bring their children into my optical with their iphone or laptops playing games or videos with the volume turned all the way up. It makes it very difficult for me to hear, let alone my elderly patients who are also in the clinic. Sorry, I had to get that out.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    My rule, headphones or mute, for anyone doing anything that produces more than the "Ding" for a text. Honestly, if some kid was playing something full blast, I'd probably go over and turn the volume off for him and say "Have your mommy buy you a set of headphone for your birthday, its the polite thing to do"

I'm a huge stickler for people turning off their phones in areas where it is clearly has a sign up that says "No Cellphones". People I'm with get annoyed when I poke them and point at the sign, but there is usually a good reason for those signs. I have actually walked out on people I have been with if they take a call in a "No Cellphone" area like a doctor's office and its not an emergency. I just won't tolerate behavior like that.

To stay on topic, taking pics, there is just no getting away from it these days, unfortunately. You just have to let it be.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a gal from out of town stop in to get her glasses fixed a few weeks back. She had tried on some frames and took a selfie with them on, when she got home she emailed the pic to me and wanted to see if I still had them. I did have them, so she gave me her credit card info and I mailed them to her. So don't get to upset about people taking the pictures.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I had a lady whom I swear took EVERY single frame off the board and took a selfie with it. I cringe even thinking about it. She was in her mid 50's and did the "duck face" in every one. I had to leave the room.
    I'm pretty sure this woman was in my optical also! She must get around the 50 states.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some patients with high Rxs cannot see what the glasses look like without their own glasses on. Taking a selfie enables them to view the frame. We sometimes take the pictures for them. You might want a NO DUCK FACES ALLOWED sign, though!
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What we need is a app that we have that puts the patients picture on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram to get opinions. And it automatically tags our store location.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    There are a ton of Hi-Def. audio/video body cameras that look just like a pen or a watch which are just great for recording interactions between you and those idiots that you deal with on a daily basis. Don't just complain about the bone head customer, post a video here on OptiBoard for all to see.

Thread Information