Thread: Kappa to Visual Lab Pro

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Kappa to Visual Lab Pro

Hello, is anyone familiar with the setting to connect a Kappa to Visual Lab Pro, we are having trouble getting them to communicate, thank you in advance

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Rigo,

I am somewhat familiar with Visual Lab Pro because I wrote every line of code in that software. A few months ago I left the company where you purchased that software. Fortunately, Occuo/Innovations has graciously allowed me to once again provide direct customer support to all Visual Lab customers at (325) 829-1688 until they decide what they are going to do. Please feel free to call me direct for help about this or any other Visual Lab related question or problem in the future. Now on to your question...

Several customers have interfaced the Kappa to Visual Lab Pro in the past. You will need to make sure the Kappa has the latest firmware installed. I heard that some older Kappas cannot be upgraded to the latest firmware without a hardware upgrade. The next thing is that each part/function of a multi-function machine such as the Kappa must be interfaced through separate serial ports. For example, if a multi-function machine contains a tracer, blocker, and an edger, it must be interfaced to a DCS host computer through 3 serial ports on the machine and 3 ports on the host computer.

I cannot speak to the type of cable (null modem or not null modem), or the specific communications menu settings that are required in the Kappa itself, but it will need to be set to use the VC/OMA DCS communications protocol. The machine user manual or your edger supplier should be able to help you with those details. In Visual Lab its simply a matter of turning on the appropriate number of serial ports, setting the max trace format to 4, setting the initialization level to auto, and setting the port speed to match that of the Kappa,

Hope this info helps!

Ken Van Cleave
    (325) 829-1688
    kenvc@msn.com

Thread Information