Thread: Warranty of drill mount lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Question Warranty of drill mount lenses.

Just curious how the rest of the world is handling drill mounts and warranty of the lenses. We initially warranted poly for cracking and spider-webbing, no warranties on other materials. However, improper use of cleaning agents has resulted in more remakes than we ever anticipated and can hardly afford. How are other labs handling this, and dispensers as well?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Strange as it may seem our re-make or warranty replacement of drill mounts isn't much higher than other frames. The folks coming in to have them tightened up or adjusted will drive you up the wall though.

Actually back in the old days when these were made of GLASS and opticians knew what they were doing the breakage wasn't much.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice

Big Smile Drill Mounts

I fit a lot of the new drill mounts and have little if any problem with cracking. Thorough explanation at time of dispensing about cleaning practices and a little hand out helps patients. Also make sure you're always telling patients to take their glasses off and on with TWO hands. Especially with a drill mount. If your pt's are ruining polycarbonate in drill mounts you would be seeing problems with poly in full eyewire/rimless too.

Bad address email on file
    When a patient shows an interest in a rimless drilled, we mention that this frame is somewhat delicate, fragile, doesn't take well to rough handling, or something to that effect. It does the patient, the lab, and our office a favor to try to make sure that this frame is a good match for the patient's lifestyle. We also recommend poly lenses for this frame.

We have had pretty good results with this approach. (But we still have had a few people who developed a crack at the drill hole, although they said they were very careful with the glasses. Not sure what the explanation is.)

igirl, is it possible to send a tip sheet to your dispensing customers about who or what lifestyle would be a good fit with rimless drilled frames, what lens material you prefer or recommend, what cleaning products or techniques work best for rimless drilled lenses, etc.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We haven't had many if any returns on drill mounts at all. With very rare exception, we only use Poly or Trivex.

As Chip mentions, knowing what you are doing makes a big difference in the quality and durability of these glasses. Frame selection also plays a part in durability.

"Improper use of cleaning agents?" What are you customers using on their lenses?

Occupation
    The tip sheet to send to my accounts is a good idea. I had thought yesteday to copy some articles I have seen in the trade rags to send to accounts having trouble.

What I meant by improper use of cleaning agents is acetone. Obviously if any acetone hits the drill holes, cracks are soon to follow! We have also found that even using "poly-safe" cleaners but not rinsing with water after seems to damage the material integrity.

I think good patient education is key and the direction I need to go in working with accounts who seem to repeatedly have problems.

So, the few problems that you are having, are you warranting in full and are the labs covering the lenses for you?

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I am talking with a patient about drilled rimless, (by the way I wear one) I always tell the patient that this type of frame is a high maintenance frame and you may come in and see us a few more times in a year for an adjustment or "tune-up".

I go on to show the patient what to look for ie: loose lens while cleaning, temple too loose or too tight etc...

I go on to say that with proper maintenance of your new drilled rimless eyeware, you will become very spoiled with it's light weight and comfort!

When your friends ask you where you got your new glasses please tell them that we will take the same time and care as we did with you on your selection of drilled rimless.

Saying that, in almost all cases of breakage, the patient comes back in and usually says something like, "I didn't come in when my lens became loose as you suggested, and in cleaning (or whatever) they broke and I need a new lens.

This method has worked for me for 30 years and I very rarely replace a broken rimless drilled lens under "warranty" unless it is in fact a manufactures defect. And of course and any all manufacture defects (under the vendors terms) are handled like any-other frame.

I hope this helped

:D Robert

Bad address email on file
    Yes, we offer to patients the same warranty on the frame and lenses for drill mounts as we do for all other frames/lenses. The lab we use has honored their warranty.

Occupation
    I think I would be looking elsewhere for the problem, I use acetone in my lab like crazy and not having this problem..I can tell you not all drill frames are the same and I would tend to look there for the problem, as well as not using plastic sleeves to pad the hole so the screw is not directly against the lens surface.
    The next question is "are you doing an inhouse coating?" that also maybe the problem .. another problem being not all poly coatings are the same, even from the lens makers, so you might have a bad batch of factory coatings to deal with ..
    I get my load of "bad lens" and most often it is fractures during adjustment or from the patient ..I use sleeves, plastic washers spacing the nut from the lens as well and so far (knock on wood) we have not had a bad % rate of "pressure cracks" a number of temples broke away from people doing silly stuff like treating a drill mount like a full metal frame though :)
    I would also track the frame type as well, you might find a trend and than (I take it you are a lab) give recommendations for frame types, that is what I did .. solved a lot of problems

BTW I only warrenty drill jobs on trivex or poly and other materials I redo at 50% ... most of my accounts are to the point where they have started doing it as well..and one time they do it..more than one they are charging "cost" ..they are marking up the frames to cover the "one time" freebie on the patients side.. in that one time "freebie" on my side I'll redo the lens at no cost and charge for the drill and edging only.. uncut accounts it's the usual.. no charge if they send the original invoice and lens back. Everyone is passing a lot of blame back and forth on this type of frames but it usually comes down to the lab needs to push the right material and use sleeves and washers..the opticians need to get the better frame designs (not the cheapest) and get the hand tools for adjusting drill mounts and EDUCATE the patient..I know when I had a meeting with a bunch of my accounts and we solved a LOT of these problems and everyone is a lot happier.. drill jobs are very UNFORGIVING, one slip in the chain and you pay the price..

Jeff "went through this way back when, remember 3 pc.facets.YIKES" Trail
    Last edited by Jeff Trail; 01-30-2003 at 02:12 PM.

OptiBoard Novice

Thumbs up

We have moved and suggest all Hoya Phoenix (Trivex) and will stand by them in this and poly although we see less problems with trivex.

Thread Information