Thread: Selling Readers

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Selling Readers

We are "considering" selling readers in house. We are looking for ophthalmic quality versus what is sold all over in gas stations, drugstores, etc. I know Europa has some so I was looking at thoughts on their line as well suggestions on other options. I am not interested in Scojo. Thank you in advance!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sell somewhere around 100 pair of readers per month. We sell them for $6 each, or 2 for 10. No, not a huge profit center, but we sell mostly to doctors out of our hospital location, and it gets them comfortable dealing with us. I want to show them that we won't gouge on readers, so when they're ready for "big boy" glasses, we'll be here. The quality is not bad at all, but I don't pay "optical quality" pricing.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the input. Who do you get your frames from? I am looking for ideas on who to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I sell somewhere around 100 pair of readers per month. We sell them for $6 each, or 2 for 10. No, not a huge profit center, but we sell mostly to doctors out of our hospital location, and it gets them comfortable dealing with us. I want to show them that we won't gouge on readers, so when they're ready for "big boy" glasses, we'll be here. The quality is not bad at all, but I don't pay "optical quality" pricing.

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We wholesale readers and computer readers (blue AR coating) both with 1.56 index lenses and an AR coating along with a neoprene case and cloth. They are very nice lenses that also clean up easily. We use mostly TR90 fames. We actually do the edging in our own lab. If you PM me I can provide pricing.

If you have an edger, we sell the lenses as well at a very low price so you can make your own readers. You can get cheap and decent lenses from just about any stock lens provider. I am surprised that more retailers with edgers don't make their own readers.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zewe View Post
    I am surprised that more retailers with edgers don't make their own readers.
    We did. That's how we got rid of the old dogs that had been lying around unsold. Sunglasses too. Glaze as readers or sunglasses and price at $25.00. You wont get rich but you will get rid of a lot of junk.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    We don't sell a lot of readers, but we have 2 MDs that do a ton of cataract surgeries. We have a difficult time convincing our doctors to tell their patients to get their readers from us instead of the "dollar store." Right now our readers are $25 retail and we can't seem to find any that are less expensive so we can sell more. Something we could sell for less so we can compete easier would be great. Where do get your readers from?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    He bought them from Sum Ting Wong Importers, LLC.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wai ai si so dim?
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    He bought them from Sum Ting Wong Importers, LLC.
    I'm invisible. Please don't offend me by pretending you can see me.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That might be a good add-on for our optical as well. We cut single vision poly glasses in house, but we don't have a fast turnaround time, and OTC readers would be a nice way to add a little extra to our profit margin. We had a few before, sold them all, and never reordered them, partly because patients were expecting the same warranty they got on their expensive single vision lenses and PALs, even when we explained they had no warranty. I'm still scratching my head about that

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to carry a handful of readers and never sold many. I'd order a display of tube readers or similar and they sat for a long time. It wasn't until I decided to get off the pot and put a nice stock in that I started selling them. So, I would suggest if you are going to do it, put a nice selection of powers and styles in and they will do well. I only use ready made with AR, Ron's Optical and Ca. Accessories both have decent readers at a reasonable price.
    At one time I was against selling them, but got tired of people asking for them and I had to tell them to go to the drug store.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    At one time I was against selling them, but got tired of people asking for them and I had to tell them to go to the drug store.
    I was the same way. I then decided that I wanted to get people into the habit of coming to our office for readers, information, anything...and someday they'll be buying something that we can actually make a living off of.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Also got tired of saying "go to the drugstore". They asked because they were here to buy. Eventually realized I was sending away business

To avoid the "do you have this style in my power?", I just carry one brand/style from Rons Optical. Mulitple colors. I go heavy with the powers not in the retail. +0.75, +1.00, +3.00. +3.50 +4.00

Creates traffic and makes the presbyopic contact wearers happy. Got regulars who come in every three months to buy for mom or dad exclaiming that they cant find +3.50 anywhere

Thread Information