Thread: How do I update a surface/finish lab to be up to specs with OSHA?

OptiBoard Apprentice

How do I update a surface/finish lab to be up to specs with OSHA?

I have been asked to help a friend update his surface/finish lab to be up to specs with OSHA. Where do I begin? Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Believe it or not, a good beginning is to label every piece of equipment in the lab. Every bottle of everything. If a machine is a generator, hang a sign over it saying: Generator.

Don't know why this impressed OSHA people so much because no one except OSHA people when they inspect need the sign to tell them what everything is, but this has great stock with them.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ask for a copy of the OSHA guide...

OSHA normally has a guide that lists what needs to be in place.

Not only should all the chemicals be labeled, but you need to have a defined storage place and the flammables need to be kept seperate (preferrably in a ventalated cabinet) as well labeled with a no smoking, sparks or open flames label as well. Signs stating where safety glasses need to be worn at, no admittance signs etc.

Are the MSDS sheets available, do the have any type of safety program. Are the number of accidents counted, documented, and made available for associates to see. Are the federal posters up with the minimum wage, right to know, state labor laws etc up and current? Are regular safety and fire inspections occuring, such as checking the extinguishers, having an evacuation map, no loose tiles, safety exits clear and exit signs working?

Are gloves, face masks, and other safety equipment made readily available. Not only does any warnings in regards to chemicals and equipment need to be in place, but you need to have a label for the lens materials as well. For instance we have a label for spectralite, poly, and cr39 on our edgers and generator cause dust from these materials can come into contact with our associates who are using the equipment. Nothing stacked with in 2 feet of the ceiling, nothing blocking sprinklers, etc. Cords in good condition, and no extension cords are in use. Do you have doors to cover the bowl area of the cylinder machines while in use, a plexiglass sheild to protect the person from dust flying off using the frame buffer? All peices of the handstones on so people can't get hair, clothing etc wrapped around the wheel? Do people know what to do in case of a coating spill? How are hazardous wastes being handled?

This is only part of what I know we have to do to keep us within our guides....good luck

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Cassandra is correct..I would get the list first and see how far out the lab is to begin with.. most of the time the usually nail you on the paper work, I have yet not had "everything" right, missing something or another..they have updates all over the place that you never seem to get :) ..mostly these guys are fairly easy to work with in the small infractions .. Basic stuff like electrical (fuse boxes etc.) needs to be checked.. make sure all the safety stuff is in place and all labeled..I have saftey glasses at each station .. also have safety instructions at each station.. silly but they like it :-)
    They love to check you on the blocker, and reclaim tanks if you are running alloy so better be careful if you are running that system.. also refuse and slurry...
    Plus keeping your chemicals all in place and marked and put away in proper storage, another place they like to nail you. All your paper work in order is also a place they check ..
    I have tried for years and never got it "completly" correct..it is like the holy grail, I don't think anyone will get through an inspection without something getting written up with a 30 or 60 day compliance ... if you do get checked and it is a major infraction where they do that "a fine starting now till compliance" MOVE quick :)
    I got nailed with one of those when I worked for the phone company and it does not take long to rack up a hefty fine.. If you are real lucky you won't ever be checked ..just don't get behind on the paper work it is a real pain in the but to get it all correct..
    Cassandra hit all the points where they like to poke in.. oh and offering a cup of coffee never hurt ..

Jeff "this stuff can drive you crazy" Trail

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Cassandra is correct..I would get the list first and see how far out the lab is to begin with.. most of the time the usually nail you on the paper work, I have yet not had "everything" right, missing something or another..they have updates all over the place that you never seem to get :) ..mostly these guys are fairly easy to work with in the small infractions .. Basic stuff like electrical (fuse boxes etc.) needs to be checked.. make sure all the safety stuff is in place and all labeled..I have saftey glasses at each station .. also have safety instructions at each station.. silly but they like it :-)
    They love to check you on the blocker, and reclaim tanks if you are running alloy so better be careful if you are running that system.. also refuse and slurry...
    Plus keeping your chemicals all in place and marked and put away in proper storage, another place they like to nail you. All your paper work in order is also a place they check ..
    I have tried for years and never got it "completly" correct..it is like the holy grail, I don't think anyone will get through an inspection without something getting written up with a 30 or 60 day compliance ... if you do get checked and it is a major infraction where they do that "a fine starting now till compliance" MOVE quick :)
    I got nailed with one of those when I worked for the phone company and it does not take long to rack up a hefty fine.. If you are real lucky you won't ever be checked ..just don't get behind on the paper work it is a real pain in the but to get it all correct..
    Cassandra hit all the points where they like to poke in.. oh and offering a cup of coffee never hurt ..

Jeff "this stuff can drive you crazy" Trail

Thread Information