Thread: Sales tips in general..

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Sales tips in general..

Hello board members,

I'm not sure if such a thread exists but I wanted to make one where we can share general sales tips, how to overcome customer hinderence's and closing sales methods and techniques, etc.

There are some great Opticians on this board and I'm a noobie who's in and out of the profession quiet often but I want to know how you guys seal the deal.

We get these a lot

1) The price is too much

2) I wasn't planning on buying glasses today, just stopped in to have a look (sometimes with or without rx)

3) I'm not sure how it looks I need a friend or family member that needs to come in and help me

4) I'm shopping around and your the first store

just a a few off of my head, there could be 5 or 6 other optical stores close by but of course you want customers to buy from you.

Some tips i can give is always having good body language with a positive tone, it's more important than some of the words that come out of your mouth, people will decide within 15 seconds or less if your someone they want to deal with.

Also understanding the wants and needs of different generations and learning how to deal with them (generation X,Y, Z, Baby Boomers)

Typically I would like to know what do you say exactly to close your sales and how do you tactically overcome customer hesitations and locking it in. Hope this thread can benefit us all because being good in sales is key to success.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As with all interactions in business, consider the 6 elements of persuasion. Cialdini raises them in Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion

You need to be prepared to invest in people time and time again, regardless of success with others. Every new one is an opportunity. The fact that you're asking implies that you're somewhat frustrated in 'losing' customers. Try to see them as different people if you can - no matter how many times you have to deal with them leaving and spending elsewhere.

This is a really basic infographic, but highlights the elements well.
    http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/236497

BTW I don't normally go in for this sort of thing, but it's worth baring in mind, as I've found some parts, in particular Reciprocity, Authority and Liking apply themselves very well to our industry.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    As with all interactions in business, consider the 6 elements of persuasion. Cialdini raises them in Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion

You need to be prepared to invest in people time and time again, regardless of success with others. Every new one is an opportunity. The fact that you're asking implies that you're somewhat frustrated in 'losing' customers. Try to see them as different people if you can - no matter how many times you have to deal with them leaving and spending elsewhere.

This is a really basic infographic, but highlights the elements well.
    http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/236497

BTW I don't normally go in for this sort of thing, but it's worth baring in mind, as I've found some parts, in particular Reciprocity, Authority and Liking apply themselves very well to our industry.
    I have been following Cialdini's work for years now and find it powerful. Not that long ago I ran into a speaker who sat through a presentation I gave on Influence years back and ask some great questions afterwards. Fast forward 4-5 years and he was using the methods and speaking as an expert on the subject, it was amazing to watch. He even offered to teach me some basic principles, he never realized that he never returned my book (bought another one), he never read any of the other works by Cialdini or other social scientists that provide additional information.

In certain circles the subject is referred to as social hacking, in others the science of influence. Tons of great books out there go to amazon and you'll be inundated, lots of great videos on youtube as well, including a few by Cialdini himself from when he published his books.

As a side note, I was first introduced to Cialdini through my cousin who graduated from Harvard with a masters in political science, their school of business and politics heavily relies on Cialdini and the research in influence.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dale Carnegie, How to Win Friends and Influence People. Still one of the best self-help books of all time.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For me I try to find an interest of theirs and go with it. Or I read them up and down and see if I can draw something that I can start a conversation with. I try not to make it a business transaction but more of a friendly convo. When it comes to figuring out lens type, material, and anything additional I try to put it in laymen* terms.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    For me I try to find an interest of theirs and go with it. Or I read them up and down and see if I can draw something that I can start a conversation with. I try not to make it a business transaction but more of a friendly convo. When it comes to figuring out lens type, material, and anything additional I try to put it in laymen* terms.
    This is a also a great way to dispense 'properly' - asking direct questions about usual wearing habits and stuff doesn't always give you the best answers. But after a few minutes of conversation, you often find you learn a lot about what the patient/client needs.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    I read them up and down and see if I can draw something that I can start a conversation with.
    I'd be careful with this one. Looks can be deceiving.

Had a customer years ago who I assumed was a share cropper. Bib overalls and cow sh!t on his clod hoppers. Turned out to be Warren Avis the founder of Avis the car rental company.

Another very well dressed gentleman presented who looked like a meaner James Gandolfini. I noticed that he had a roscoe (cool term for a handgun) in a holster under his sport coat. Turned out he was not a hitman but an Justice Department agent. Good thing I kept my trap shut.

As Granny used to say, "you cant judge a book by it's cover."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Looks can be deceiving."
    +1 One of my biggest sales was from a little old lady who looked like she had nothing. She said her eyes were very important to her and was willing to spend whatever it costs to get what was the best. Very sweet lady. You never know.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I'd be careful with this one. Looks can be deceiving.

Had a customer years ago who I assumed was a share cropper. Bib overalls and cow sh!t on his clod hoppers. Turned out to be Warren Avis the founder of Avis the car rental company.

Another very well dressed gentleman presented who looked like a meaner James Gandolfini. I noticed that he had a roscoe (cool term for a handgun) in a holster under his sport coat. Turned out he was not a hitman but an Justice Department agent. Good thing I kept my trap shut.

As Granny used to say, "you cant judge a book by it's cover."
    I've learned that lesson the hard way a few times.

Thread Information