Thread: Methods to conceal high prescription lense thickness.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Methods to conceal high prescription lense thickness.

Hi, I have a pair of glasses with a high minus prescription of around -9.00 in a large eye size (58-35) that I am trying to lessen the appearance of the thickness of the lenses. Without reducing the lens size which the customer prefers, are there any strategies to help conceal or improve the appearance of the side profile lens thickness? I am wondering about strategies not involving polishing the lenses, such as dyeing the lenses a similar color as the frame color or adding/gluing crystals to the side of the lenses, kind of "unique" methods. My optical supplier actually has a large selection of replacement crystals available and I was wondering if anyone had experience or thoughts on adding/gluing crystals to the side of thick lenses to improve the appearance of them by making them more "stylish"? or is this a crazy idea with pitfalls. Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the decentration? First thing I would do would be to calculate the actual lens thickness that will be on the edge, then bevel appropriately... Unfortunately the high index lenses you most likely will be using in an RX this powerful don't take to tint. Please do share your finished work! I highly recommend using the thickness calculator here: opticampus.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You cannot overcome larger size frames with anything, frame choice is even larger factor than material. The thickness of lens begins to increase at a geometric rate relative to the size, which means for every 2mm in eyesize at some point it creates about 1mm in thickness. Its physics, you can fight physics and win. Choose a smaller frame.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Looks yucky when viewed frontally.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back when I worked in a lab there was a set of edge coloring pens. I remember I got the glorious job of making samples for all of our accounts. They were similar to an oil paint marker. As for crystals, I can't imagine they would stay on. Maybe if you found a paint pen designed for coloring the edges you could throw some glitter on top before it dries.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As small said, you can use color edge markers. They work on any material. As for adding crystals to the edge, you can use a SmartDrill to drill jewel holes on the edge of lenses and use jewel cut crystals/CZ's. We do work like this almost daily.

And I agree with jefe, lenticularizing or roll and polish looks crappy from the front.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Depending on the material and coatings, you may also be able to dip it in a dye pot for a few seconds. Often the edged portion of a lens will take on color almost instantly while the viewing portion of the lens remains clear. But yes, a smaller frame is your first line of defense against edge thickness. I'm a -9.00 and I won't even look at an eye size above 51 for myself.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Woe unto the high myope with narrow set eyes and a large cranium.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    You cannot overcome larger size frames with anything, frame choice is even larger factor than material. The thickness of lens begins to increase at a geometric rate relative to the size, which means for every 2mm in eyesize at some point it creates about 1mm in thickness. Its physics, you can fight physics and win. Choose a smaller frame.
    If only I could convince my high school aged patients this. What's with the huge plastic frame craze these days? When I started wearing glasses way back in the age of the dinosaurs, glasses were considered dorky and stupid, so we tried to make them invisible, and everyone wanted small frames. Now the patients want these huge ugly things that slip down their noses and fit poorly.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    In the 1960's there was a company in the Baltimore area called Encyclo or Ancyclo that specialized in edge treatments for high minus/high prism lenses. We used to use 1.8 Index glass lenses for these jobs and of course select an appropriate frame with minimum eye size and decentration. The frames of choice were heavy zyle.

We sent the frames and the uncuts and they edged them hide-a-bevel and then applied an undercoat of flat grey anti reflection coating to the edges followed by a coat of enamel exactly matching the color and texture of the frame. The lenses were then heat treated which also hardened the enamel coatings.

The anti reflection coating greatly minimized internal reflections. I recall doing a pair of -10.00 with about 10D BO prism with a temporal edge thickness measured in inches rather than millimeters and it came out amazing. Of course the customers eye looked like two p holes in the snow but from a distance they looked 100% better than what he had been wearing. He was thrilled.

I don't think that they are around any longer but Ill bet a clever and talented optician could do something similar today.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks everyone for their advice and feedback. I have decided to experiment with adding flat back crystals directly onto the side of the lenses. Wish me luck!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I've actually done this recently for a friend.

use FSV aspheric 1.74(1.00mm ct)

keep horizontal decentration to a minimum.
    use a 45 degree heavy safety bevel, don't polish
    frame thickness is your friend

bevel placement is key, I use a 35-40% with base curve matching(if your edger can handle it)

if you calculate properly, your edge thickness pass the frame will be almost non existent

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow I miss the days of using a 1.0 1.74 my labs refuse to even edge under 2.0 because they say that it's too brittle and their remake rate was too high due to breakage when they cut it any thicker.

As to making it look thinner how about faceting, I never personally ordered it myself but I've seen some great looking photos on Luxe Laboratory's facebook page?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    Wow I miss the days of using a 1.0 1.74 my labs refuse to even edge under 2.0 because they say that it's too brittle and their remake rate was too high due to breakage when they cut it any thicker.

As to making it look thinner how about faceting, I never personally ordered it myself but I've seen some great looking photos on Luxe Laboratory's facebook page?
    FSV should be able to be edged, most labs hate surfacing less than 2.0 CT (I have one that will do 1.4 for me) but in my experience I haven't had an issue edging 1.74 ever.

If you can't edge it yourself you should search for a FSV lens distributor (Seiko or SOMO or Zeiss all have 1.0 or close to it) in stock lenses. Then find out what a lab will edge it for you. If yours won't I can tell you of one in PA that will.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I have more than a few pairs with FSV Seiko lenses where one lens has a CT less than 1.4 (I'm anisometropic, so there is a significant differed between the two lenses), never had any trouble.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    To get a good idea of what a lenticular can look like, here's an album of a pair of my sunglasses. I think it's especially useful for sunwear, since that's when you get the larger wrap frames. This is a 1.67 polarized single vision 6 base. The script is -14.75 +0.75 @ 180, -12.50 +0.50 @ 180.

Google Drive Link

You can certainly notice it at the edges from the front. If you take a mirror coating on top of this, however, nobody is ever going to notice. From wearing them, I can't see the blur at the edges unless I try. It's so far over that my eyes get uncomfortable looking over that far, so I don't find it to be a problem.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Have an independent shop in India. Pt was -6.75 with -0.5 cyl based on our refraction. He insisted on 1.74 idx single vision which was twice as expensive. We tried to reason with him that 1.67 with a smaller frame - 50 - would be better than the 54 he was looking at as he was very concerned about the edge thickness. But he insisted. Did not of course share the results of the edge thickness calculator because I was afraid that he would hold me to it.

Also his frame of choice was a half frame. He insisted on lab clear polishing the edges, we advised him that maybe a satin polish might be better for the reflections but he declined .. And he also insisted on Nikon DAS because he thought that it might give him a thinner lens because his sister-in-law has one and is very "thin" .. Sigh

Lenses are back from the lab. They look fairly typical .. He comes in tomorrow thinking that he is going to get super-thin lenses defying the laws of physics . Dreading the prospect :(

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    To Add : I am a high myope myself -6 SPH both eyes with no CYL. I wear 1.6 lenses because of the decent abbe. My frames are 49 (Titanium) and my edge thicknesses are fairly reasonable due to choice of frame. I showed pt my eyeglasses, but to to no avail .. BTW he thought they were 1.74 and would not believe me .. go figure :(
    Last edited by rotusrotus; 06-12-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Put in "To Add" to link to previous post

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Woe unto the high myope with narrow set eyes and a large cranium.
    Bwahaha!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
    If only I could convince my high school aged patients this. What's with the huge plastic frame craze these days? When I started wearing glasses way back in the age of the dinosaurs, glasses were considered dorky and stupid, so we tried to make them invisible, and everyone wanted small frames. Now the patients want these huge ugly things that slip down their noses and fit poorly.
    I'm having PTSD flashbacks to the 80's.

Then in the 90's everything was 'round and brown'. I'm thinking the CK114, if I'm not mistaken. I can't wait for that trend to come back.
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Thread Information