Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illogical glasses

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Consider OU adds of about +2.50. Lens design is up to you, but segmented multifocals should be on the table, along with various task eyeglasses.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I think I ordered the most illogical eyeglasses for a patient than I ever have.

Od/-10.00-1.75x040 +2.25
    Os/+1.25-1.50x105 +2.50

Sometimes ...
    I've seen some Rxes almost like that. I'm surprised there's no slab off prescribed with that level of anismetropia. Speaking of illogical Rxes, I used to work for an optometrist who was prism happy. She prescribed prism in the majority of her patients in tiny diopter increments i.e.:

-1.00 DS 1/4 BU
    -1.50-0.75x160 1/4 BD

Does a patient even notice that little prism? Does he/she even need it if it's that small?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
    I've seen some Rxes almost like that. I'm surprised there's no slab off prescribed with that level of anismetropia. Speaking of illogical Rxes, I used to work for an optometrist who was prism happy. She prescribed prism in the majority of her patients in tiny diopter increments i.e.:

-1.00 DS 1/4 BU
    -1.50-0.75x160 1/4 BD

Does a patient even notice that little prism? Does he/she even need it if it's that small?
    Prescribing small amounts of prism like that is ridiculous and not required. Just as bad as quarter cyl syndrome.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

-1.00 DS 1/4 BU
    -1.50-0.75x160 1/4 BD

Since fusion with this Rx is pretty much out of the question due to huge aniseikonia I think slab off would be a waste. Not even sure if the required amount would be grindable! Perfect Rx for medical necessary cls. As for small amounts of prism in more normal rxs I do it when I measure small amounts of fixation disparity esp vertical.
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 03-20-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a fellow Ansio, I am loving my Seiko Superiors. Being able to adjust the corridor based upon near pd, instead of an educated guess can really make a difference, especially if your eyes converge at different rates/amounts.

My rx is OD: -0.50 OS +1.75 with a bit of cyl. +1.50 add

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    If I could ask any of you experts about my next pair of glasses, I was wondering if anyone had any input for me. My rx is:
    OD:+.75 with +3.00 add (amblyopic from birth, but can correct to 20/30 sometimes better, sometimes worse)

I'm currently wearing a +2.50 add in my right eye since I had my IOL implant two years ago. I have one pair of glasses with Varilux Physio 360, and one pair with Hoya ID Harmony 2. Of the two pairs, the vision is better in the Varilux pair and gives me less binocular strain. But neither pair of glasses are strong enough for the right eye to see clear up close. I trial framed with the +3.00 add and it's a huge improvement.

I was a +5.00 OD before the IOL, no I didn't have a cataract, and I was exotropic at near intermitted but now my binocularity is much improved.

Long time getting to the question, but any suggestions on the best lenses for me? I've never personally sold progressives with one add power double the other, so I don't know if they will give me headaches. I would ask another optician, but I'm the only optician in my practice.

I'm due for my free pair for the year from my lab, but I hate to have a remake on a free pair.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    I would consider over plussing the distance in the right eye by say .50 (try it with trial lenses binocularly). If it doesn't hurt your distance binocular vision, you can cut the add by .5 and get more useable near area on that lens. Since the eye is a bit amblyopic, you probably won't even notice the overcorrection and it might even help a bit in room distances. I always suggest the surgeons target a bit of myopia in the first eye, just in case their nomograms are a bit off (which they seem to always end up with a little hyperopia as in your case). Better to have a bit of myopia than ANY hyperopia. Overcorrection in your specs should be very similar to having a little myopia. Play around with trials from +.25 to +1.00 and be sure to view across the street and at computer distances with them, and remember, keep both eyes open when testing this.
    That's a great idea. My axial lengths were OD 27.5 OS 20.5 before my IOL. I was surprised I ended up with plus power after surgery.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Thread Information