Thread: Google Glass

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Google Glass

The first and current version of the Google Glass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Glass) is largely a failure, but it appears that Google is working on a second version. If this version catches on, do you guys think the glasses will be Rx-able?

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The Rxable version is shown lower in that wiki piece. I think it will continue to be a very niche product for people who want/need hands free video making and there may be a good low vision application there. I fit one and only one and she really wanted a refund a month later, which I assume she got from Google. I did not refund the lenses I had installed in it. Oops, I now remember also fitting a college prof with one who never reported back.
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 03-05-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    The Rxable version is shown lower in that wiki piece. I think it will continue to be a very niche product for people who want/need hands free video making and there may be a good low vision application there. I fit one and only one and she really wanted a refund a month later, which I assume she got from Google. I did not refund the lenses I had installed in it. Oops, I now remember also fitting a college prof with one who never reported back.
    I appreciate the response. I don't see Google Glass as a trend, and can't imaging the second version achieving much success either. Anyways, it's interesting to see what the future holds for electronic eye apparell.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so, I don't think google glass will be more then a workplace environment / college student / hospital environment wearable.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/28/g...dition-at-fcc/

This looks awesome but is terribly expensive

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/29/m...per-preorders/

This is almost affordable but you may need to buy a new computer to use it

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/06/t...hips-in-march/

This is just awesome but a little uncomfortable

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/29/g...ugh-its-store/

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    On further consideration, I think there's a big place for the Glass in eye care offices. I would love to be able to record everything I do hands free. It would be a no brainer to record the case history on live video, take p.d.s and other confrontation testing, to record acuities, refractions, even slit lamp and fundus photographs (with suitable adapters that might just end up being software driven), all totally hands free. I was drawn into optometry 52 years ago by gadgetry, and this stuff might be the ultimate gadget that could replace a lot of hardware.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe that electronic glasses are the future. In the next decade or two, manufacturers will be able to make self-adjustable lenses that can scan a wearer's eyes and make the appropriate adjustments for corrected vision. Google Glass was a test run to see what worked and what needs to be improved.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin ABO View Post
    I believe that electronic glasses are the future. In the next decade or two, manufacturers will be able to make self-adjustable lenses that can scan a wearer's eyes and make the appropriate adjustments for corrected vision. Google Glass was a test run to see what worked and what needs to be improved.
    Maybe they are and maybe they aren't, but the Google Glass was not a test run of adaptive optics or electronic glasses. It was the first attempt to miniaturize a computer with videocam and mount it on a pair of glasses. It did what it was designed to do, but it was very distracting, both for the wearer and for the person being videoed. It will be a very useful thing for some people, but I don't think it will be the platform for adaptive optics which is a different technology.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    Maybe they are and maybe they aren't, but the Google Glass was not a test run of adaptive optics or electronic glasses. It was the first attempt to miniaturize a computer with videocam and mount it on a pair of glasses. It did what it was designed to do, but it was very distracting, both for the wearer and for the person being videoed. It will be a very useful thing for some people, but I don't think it will be the platform for adaptive optics which is a different technology.
    You may be right. I'm getting a bit too carried away with future technology. I think there may be something in the future for devices like the Google Glass. Some manufacturer has to discover its potential.

Thread Information