Thread: telescopic glasses for dentists

Bad address email on file

Redhot Jumper telescopic glasses for dentists

Hello,
    This is my first time posting a question. We had a patient come in who is a dentist. He brought in a pair of clear plastic safety glasses with telescopic lenses attached to the bottom 2.5x or 3x magnification - the top had no perscription - just provided protection. He wanted to know if we could make him a pair of glasses with the same perscription as the telescope lenses in the bottom but have his normal bifocal perscription in the top. We tried to find out where he originally purchased these glasses but without much luck. They gave me a web site oralscoptic.com - this page was not available. I also tried oralscopic.com no luck. I'll try the phone number they gave me tomorrow. We thought that maybe they might make something that was rxable. The only thing that I've found that comes close is made by eschenbach. This doesn't have a shield at all though.

From what I've found we can get a round seg with about the same mag 12.5 dioters would equal 2.5X. 15 diopters for 3 X. We could subract his near vision perscription from the add which reduce the ledge. I don't know if these would look any better than what he is already wearing though.

If you know where these telescopic type safety glasses can be ordered we may be able to get them to add his near vision to the top. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you very much,
    Lucia

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to OptiBoard!

I hope this helps you out -

Franel has a 2.5x loop that attaches to glasses:
    http://www.franeloptical.com/content.php?s=13
    Focusable Monocular
    This 2.5x monocular is convenient as a distance or near vision aid. The unit has an adjustable plastic-coated clip to attach aid to spectacles. Complete with near vision reading cap with three interchangeable lenses (+.50, +1 and +2) provided to vary focal distance for near vision use.
    If you contact Franel, they may have what you are looking for in their regular print catalogue.

You may also want to try Keeler Surgical Magnification Systems:
    http://www.keelerusa.com/surgical_magnification.htm
    erVu XL System
    A prismatic system designed specifically for the US market, the XL combines 5 lenses and a prism to deliver higher levels of magnification, superb color rendition and clarity..... Available in 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5x magnification
    I think the Keeler loupes are what you are looking for.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another company who can help....

Lucia,
    Another source you can use is the Eschenbach company headquarted in Connecticut. Here is their website, and what you are looking for is
    a Keplerian Telescope for near vision. If you contact them I am sure they will be glad to send you a catalog which pictures the item and explains the system.

http://www.eschenbach.com/

Good first post!
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thank you so much for the information. They have a very similar product. I was also able to find the correct web site for the company where the dentist originally purchased the telescopic glasses. The correct site was orascoptic.com (I was typing in oralscoptic.com). They were very helpful on the phone. It is possible to get his perscription for near vision on the top of the safety glasses. Or we may still make him a pair of very strong bifocals!
    Thanks again,
    Lucia

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lucia,

Here is a very good article I found at the Journal of the California Dental Association.

http://www.cda.org/member/pubs/journal/jour0202/telescope.html

Robert

Interesting Article!

Thank you very much for the interesting article that you posted from the Jornal of dental medicine. That was extremely thourough. I learned a lot about ergonomics too.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Glad it helped. I learned alot also. I had thought that the through-the-lens mount was the norm these days, with two companies dominating the market. Looks like there is still a need for the front mount surgical telescopes, at least in dentistry.

Robert

Thread Information