Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Opticians Losing Relevance?

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Caroline;520968 Why are we feeding this obvious troll?[/QUOTE]

Because we are gluttons for stupidity and insanity?
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Folks, take a look at this article

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-molly-wharton

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry IF YOU would write a Zig Ziggler type of book specifically for opticianry pertaining to the merging of optical knowledge with the soft skills you speak of and how to train oneself in them...I bet good money it would sell.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The never ending conundrum...Educate yes- but practically how???

Ok. I'll throw a grenade into the thread like I have in the past and make a wish.

I wish we would all advocate for all Wal-Mart workers (including optical) to unionize.

Now implement an apprenticeship, journeyman and master optician program with education standards the same at each level in every state.

Organize other chains.

Try to assuage the MD's, OD's and independents who think this will squeeze their bottom line. My guess is they're already paying at appropriate levels for their optician's skill level and nothing forces them to be a union shop.

Licensed states can expect to see this relentless push by chains to do away with licensing to continue. CEO's cannot justify quarterly profits that drop from 5.25% to 5%.

This is my wish to make America great again like the way we lived in the good old days. If you're over 40 you remember- before unions were broken and our current political/corporate oligarchy was re-created.

Now where's my flak jacket???
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-01-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: tweak...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin ABO View Post
    FYI, they already eliminated out Voluntary Registration in our state last August, it was never mandatory. ( The tea partiers here even wanted to get rid of our dental board..) Many of us worked hard to even achieve that several decades ago. But when they ended it, there were barely over 40 of us registered ( apathy runs wild throughout our profession.)

To get back to one of your earlier comments, which you still have not answered; How would de-regulation in licensed states increase the amount of Optician's jobs? It sure hasn't in states without licensure. Locations are not going to magically appear to hire them!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As Optical24/7 pointed out, it wasn't mandatory to have a license in Texas before they did this

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ighlight=texas
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    FYI, they already eliminated out Voluntary Registration in our state last August, it was never mandatory. ( The tea partiers here even wanted to get rid of our dental board..) Many of us worked hard to even achieve that several decades ago. But when they ended it, there were barely over 40 of us registered ( apathy runs wild throughout our profession.)

To get back to one of your earlier comments, which you still have not answered; How would de-regulation in licensed states increase the amount of Optician's jobs? It sure hasn't in states without licensure. Locations are not going to magically appear to hire them!
    You know we will never get an answer on this from him/her.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Ok. I'll throw a grenade into the thread like I have in the past and make a wish.

I wish we would all advocate for all Wal-Mart workers (including optical) to unionize.

Now implement an apprenticeship, journeyman and master optician program with education standards the same at each level in every state.

Organize other chains.

Try to assuage the MD's, OD's and independents who think this will squeeze their bottom line. My guess is they're already paying at appropriate levels for their optician's skill level and nothing forces them to be a union shop.

Licensed states can expect to see this relentless push by chains to do away with licensing to continue. CEO's cannot justify quarterly profits that drop from 5.25% to 5%.

This is my wish to make America great again like the way we lived in the good old days. If you're over 40 you remember- before unions were broken and our current political/corporate oligarchy was re-created.

No flack here.

A really strong labor union, complete with goons wearing black shirts, white ties and pinkie rings could certainly straighten out this whole freaking mess. It would not be unreasonable to demand a starting wage of $55,000.00 per annum for a 30 hour work week, 120 days a year, with double time for overtime and weekends along with a better benefit package than a US Senator and a meaningful pension providing a living wage would be available after 30 years of service, say in the neighborhood of $65,000.00 a year. You don't agree to the union contract we shut you down, one way or the other until you do sign on the dotted line.

The union would provide its own training and certification standards and you can bet your boots that they would be quite high as union contracts are based on the skill level of the union journeyman. The greater the skill level the higher the wage and the higher the union dues. Additionally the union would have the financial and organization assets to deal with the politicians and regulators.

Does all this sound unreasonable? I think not. It is what the public school teachers in my local school district get.
    Last edited by rbaker; 03-01-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    No flack here.

A really strong labor union, complete with goons wearing black shirts, white ties and pinkie rings could certainly straighten out this whole freaking mess.
    You bet! That would solve all the problems, so long as the promise to break the knees of anyone who dares to shop the internet to avoid the higher prices.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    You bet! That would solve all the problems, so long as the promise to break the knees of anyone who dares to shop the internet to avoid the higher prices.
    But Johns your prices wouldn't change and you would stand to gain more business!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But Johns your prices wouldn't change and you would stand to gain more business!!!
    Of coarse his prices would change, all of ours would. If I learned anything from watching The Godfather and The Sopranos, protection comes at a price.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Come on UNCLE FESTER everyone knows that in todays economy price is at least 5th or 6th down on the list of why people purchase at one place over another (sarcasm)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    cians and regulators.

Does all this sound unreasonable? I think not. It is what the public school teachers in my local school district get.
    Glad we agree on a living wage for a college education.

Just maybe some of that extra money will trickle down to the brick and mortar optical.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    No problem with internet sales. You don't have to bruise your knuckles or tear up your rotator duff swinging a Louisville Slugger at the head of a scab.The Brotherhood of Postal Workers and Letter Carriers along with the Teamsters Union would support the Opticians Union.

United we stand - separate we fail. Understand! When our teachers strike the school bus drivers strike along with the drivers who bring the welfare food to the schools.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Organize other chains.

I posted a similar suggestion a few years ago and the response was far less receptive. I believe the title was "State of our profession" Today I see a more incouraging response. Perhaps things have changed and there is a sign of hope.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-optician View Post
    I posted a similar suggestion a few years ago and the response was far less receptive.
    It still is. Give it time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could someone (way more eloquent than I) convince EYECARE BUSINESS or 20/20 MAGAZINE to run a feature on the importance of ABO certification?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Could someone (way more eloquent than I) convince EYECARE BUSINESS or 20/20 MAGAZINE to run a feature on the importance of ABO certification?
    There are occasional articles of this nature, have been for years, but apparently no one reads them or gives a hoot for the subject. I think that they are used primarily as fillers in place of Lorus Ipsum. Remember, the purpose of "trade journals" is to feather the nests of their advertisers, you know, the folks who pay big bucks to sell their products not some "outside issue."
    Last edited by rbaker; 03-01-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Unfortunately, a majority of people do not have interest in opticianry. The people in this field are merely seen as "eye glass salesmen". So, it wouldn't make sense to publish an article highlighting the importance of proper certification.

Let's face it, folks. Opticians do not bring in a significant revenue in the eye care industry - that's where ODs and ophthalmologists shine. ODs have prevented us from refracting, so they can keep their money, and have a tight control over us.

This is why we need to lower educational standards to attract more opticians in the field. Only when we have numbers can we fight the ODs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately, a majority of people do not have interest in opticianry. The people in this field are merely seen as "eye glass salesmen". So, it wouldn't make sense to publish an article highlighting the importance of proper certification.

Let's face it, folks. Opticians do not bring in a significant revenue in the eye care industry - that's where ODs and ophthalmologists shine. ODs have prevented us from refracting, so they can keep their money, and have a tight control over us.

This is why we need to lower educational standards to attract more opticians in the field. Only when we have numbers can we fight the ODs.
    You keep saying lower standards is going to attract more to the field yet you have failed to explain WHY or HOW....you are starting to sound like a broken record. Hell, maybe become a politician since you have seemed to master the art of dodging questions thrown at you

Occupation

I have been trying to follow your line of thinking but, so far, after a couple of ounces of the finest local weed, to total confusion. Correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure you will) you are proposing that we can somehow improve the craft, profession or whatever you want to call it by lowering the educational standards. You propose more idiots selling glasses. Cripes, we have enough as it is now.

I hold , as you probably do also, that the optician is rapidly descending into Hell in a hand basket. Is it your contention that we should add a lower class of useful idiots to the basket. It is my contention that the skills and talents should be raised.

I am going to kick back and enjoy another doobie (I dearly recall some real nice Appleton, WI Gold back in my younger days) and rethink my thoughts and see if I can find some hidden logic in your thought process.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Appleton, WI is a nice city.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been trying to follow your line of thinking but, so far, after a couple of ounces of the finest local weed, to total confusion.
    Well, that statement clears up a lot of things for me.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gain MORE business? How is the fact that my workers are unionized going to increase my business?? My amish neighbors are constantly being driven to Youngstown and Akron, Ohio (still a lot of unions there) to build houses, garages, cabins, and remodels for union workers, AND many of the union bosses, who are too cheap to pay union workers, as they know they'll get a better price. Yeah, that loyalty thing is really great, until it comes time to grab the wallet to pay the bill, and then you see the true colors. Go to WalMart (I won't), and see the UAW workers lined up to buy their fishing gear and beer. They are loyal...as long as they are being paid to carry the picket signs.

And, if they want to keep prices down (they can't) They will turn to more technology. What happened when McDonald's was forced to raise their prices? Here you go...
    http://www.neowin.net/news/mcdonalds...place-cashiers

As a business owner, when I used to look at a machine, or software, my first thought when approaching a $50k machine was, "Wow...way out of my budget!" Today, I look first as to how efficient is it compared to how we are doing things, and secondly, I look at $50k being one worker's wages, at $25 per hour, and no vacations, no FICA, , no unemployment, no health care, no coming in late, no calling off sick, no hassles. And after the first year is over, it's basically free.

I'm in business to support my family, and the families of my employees. Shoot me if I don't want to pay more than the market will bear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've asked you twice (posts #21 and 55) "how". No answers yet, you know why? Cause you don't have one! I'm in the camp that you're just a corporate shill that would like to see licensure just go away....

Thread Information