Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Opticians Losing Relevance?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are Opticians Losing Relevance?

It appears that the majority of the public is unaware of what an optician is. Most view them as salesmen and some use them as a stepping-stone to enhance their resume for Optometry school. The field isn't what is used to be two decades ago. What are your thoughts?

I propose that we lower the educational standards in an effort to attract more candidates. This will bring back opticianry in the eyes of the public.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What educational standards do you speak of? Most states don't have any. I can't imagine it getting much lower than it already is. How would that better us to the public?
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The currently educational standards are woefully inadequate for what a value added optician needs to do today.

B

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It cannot be expected that by increasing the educational standards that more candidates will be attracted to the field of opticianry. By making the field more selective, you are narrowing the already dwindling field. As it is, the general public is not even aware of what an optician does/is.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can not lower the education standards any lower than where they are currently. In states where no license is required to call yourself an optician (Such is Pennsylvania where I live & work) is this more apparent. I have personally seen people brought into this profession & given the title of optician only because of their looks & ability to sell with little to no optical knowledge.

Until there is an agreed upon set of expectations of what an Optician is and should be able to do, we will continue to be fragmented as a group & lumped in with the Eyewear Consultants & Frame Stylists. The general public will never know the difference.

I hope for change in my lifetime but it seems the Opticians in my neck of the woods are comfortably miserable with status quo with no desire to change things
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    You can not lower the education standards any lower than where they are currently. In states where no license is required to call yourself an optician (Such is Pennsylvania where I live & work) is this more apparent. I have personally seen people brought into this profession & given the title of optician only because of their looks & ability to sell with little to no optical knowledge.

Until there is an agreed upon set of expectations of what an Optician is and should be able to do, we will continue to be fragmented as a group & lumped in with the Eyewear Consultants & Frame Stylists. The general public will never know the difference.

I hope for change in my lifetime but it seems the Opticians in my neck of the woods are comfortably miserable with status quo with no desire to change things
    The problem is licensure still exists in several states. In an effort to unify opticians and attract new candidates, we must lower licensure standards that exist in some states. Having a license makes no difference if the public does not know what you are or what you do. Also, lesser requirements will result in more job opportunities and hence the general public will have more knowledge of the field.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin ABO View Post
    It cannot be expected that by increasing the educational standards that more candidates will be attracted to the field of opticianry. By making the field more selective, you are narrowing the already dwindling field. As it is, the general public is not even aware of what an optician does/is.
    If Opticians have actual knowledge of optics and skills to back it up than that's how the "value" of a profession can rise. Flooding the market with more uneducated "Opticians" will lower the value of our position and will make us seem more irrelevant than we already seem to a large portion of patients and consumers.
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So you want to lower the standards to increase job opportunities? What do you tell the people who have already obtain their licenses in their respective states? "Oh Sorry that you spent all those years in the apprenticeship program and exam fees but now your license value is diminished" Now employers can say "Why should I pay you X amount of dollars when anybody can do what you do for Y amount of dollars?"
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eryn View Post
    If Opticians have actual knowledge of optics and skills to back it up than that's how the "value" of a profession can rise. Flooding the market with more uneducated "Opticians" will lower the value of our position and will make us seem more irrelevant than we already seem to a large portion of patients and consumers.
    The influx of new opticians through lesser requirements will lead to more social cohesiveness, and thus "value" will naturally arise to distinguish the fittest. Our number one priority should be to expand the field, and bring it back to the general public's eyes. As relevance returns to the field, the public can determine which optician is worthwhile and which is not. You can't propose that we increase constraints on a "dying" field to save it. We must focus on increasing our number.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had to get some more business cards printed up because all the local competition who thrive with the "right to work" laws and lack of Maryland Optician standards keep funneling their mistakes my way to become my new clients!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I had to get some more business cards printed up because all the local competition who thrive with the "right to work" laws and lack of Maryland Optician standards keep funneling their mistakes my way to become my new clients!
    You're generalizing. You're extrapolating your area's number of opticians and using that information to judge the optician population of the United States. Unfortunately, not every area of the United States is Somewhere, Maryland.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're generalizing. You're extrapolating your area's number of opticians and using that information to judge the optician population of the United States. Unfortunately, not every area of the United States is Somewhere, Maryland.
    No I didn't extrapolate or generalize at all, I was telling of my personal experience in the eyecare industry of maryland. Lowering the standards even more so... is something that would likely bring me even more business.

Anyways, it is my personal opinion that your idea is a bad one, just my 2 cents.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    No I didn't extrapolate or generalize at all, I was telling of my personal experience in the eyecare industry of maryland. Lowering the standards even more so... is something that would likely bring me even more business.

Anyways, it is my personal opinion that your idea is a bad one, just my 2 cents.
    I respect your opinion, and I wish your business success!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I respect your opinion, and I wish your business success!
    I have a feeling you should describe in more complete terms what your plan (no matter how informal it may be) would entail as far as a realigning of standards. I would be willing to read your ideas in a more thoroughly explained manner.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It appears that the majority of the public is unaware of what an optician is. Most view them as salesmen and some use them as a stepping-stone to enhance their resume for Optometry school. The field isn't what is used to be two decades ago. What are your thoughts?

I propose that we lower the educational standards in an effort to attract more candidates. This will bring back opticianry in the eyes of the public.
    Thanks but no thanks. Lowering standards that are non existing in most states makes no sense what so ever. Removing them in states that required licensing has been happening for some time and you may get your wish. I've seen the work of non educated and non licensed people in my state, their work only brings tears to the eyes of the public and mine.

Personally, I'm getting tired of apologizing to the public for work done elsewhere and by incompetent maroons. If you want to stand in a pool of mediocrity there are plenty of places out there for those who share in your idea of, "dumbing down" minimal credentialization. While we're at let's see if we can do something about those pesky food handling permits, for people who work at restaurants.
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 02-29-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The problem is licensure still exists in several states. In an effort to unify opticians and attract new candidates, we must lower licensure standards that exist in some states. Having a license makes no difference if the public does not know what you are or what you do. Also, lesser requirements will result in more job opportunities and hence the general public will have more knowledge of the field.
    Wow, where do I start on how wrong all this is. 1st, most of the licensed states have provisions to allow anybody to work under a doctors license or a LDO. You don't have to be licensed to get a job. There are already entry level options. Getting rid of licensure wouldn't magically create new jobs in those states anymore than it already creates in unlicensed states.

There was a study done in NY state on public perception of Opticians. Over 80% think we have at minimum an associates degree (well over 50% think we had to have a bachelor's degree). The public already believe we had to have higher education to be helping them with their eyes. If your clients believe you're just a salesman you've done a poor job in displaying your ophthalmic knowledge and/or professionalism.

Many licensed states allow Opticians to fit CL's. Do we wish to lower the standard of care that anyone can fit a device that if done improperly could cause permanent eye damage? How about those of us that work with OMD's daily and have patients with low vision needs and need specialized lenses like Peli's for hemianopias?

Pay standards are already not great, it's difficult to make a living wage for many that call themselves an Optician. Why on earth would you propose we lower standards so that we get paid less? Yea...Bad idea to say the least.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    Thanks but no thanks. Lowering standards that are non existing in most states makes no sense what so ever. Removing them in states that required licensing has been happening for some time and you may get your wish. I've seen the work of non educated and non licensed people in my state and there work, only brings tears to the eyes of the public.

Personally, I'm getting tired of apologizing to the public for work done elsewhere and by incompetent maroons. If you want to stand in a pool of mediocrity there are plenty of places out there for those who share in your idea of, "dumbing down" minimal credentialization. While we're at let's see if we can do something about those pesky food handling permits, for people who work at restaurants.
    Minimum credentialization is not guaranteed to attract "incompetent maroons". Opticianry, as it is, barely requires any form of education - obtaining an associate's degree simply requires a pulse. If we remove this constraint, more people will join opticianry, and the growing population will bring back relevance to this field. I'm more concerned about increasing the number of opticians in the United States than in trying to enforce stringent qualifications that make an irrelevant, and largely obsolete, field more competitive.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Wow, where do I start on how wrong all this is. 1st, most of the licensed states have provisions to allow anybody to work under a doctors license or a LDO. You don't have to be licensed to get a job. There are already entry level options. Getting rid of licensure wouldn't magically create new jobs in those states anymore than it already creates in unlicensed states.

There was a study done in NY state on public perception of Opticians. Over 80% think we have at minimum an associates degree (well over 50% think we had to have a bachelor's degree). The public already believe we had to have higher education to be helping them with their eyes. If your clients believe you're just a salesman you've done a poor job in displaying your ophthalmic knowledge and/or professionalism.

Many licensed states allow Opticians to fit CL's. Do we wish to lower the standard of care that anyone can fit a device that if done improperly could cause permanent eye damage? How about those of us that work with OMD's daily and have patients with low vision needs and need specialized lenses like Peli's for hemianopias?

Pay standards are already not great, it's difficult to make a living wage for many that call themselves an Optician. Why on earth would you propose we lower standards so that we get paid less? Yea...Bad idea to say the least.
    Apprenticeships and training can allow future candidates to become proper opticians. I'm not saying that we pick up random people off the streets, and make them sell eye wear. My main point is that it would be convenient to get rid of roadblocks in some states such as require certification, exams, and other formal educational requirements, as frankly, this field does not require that much knowledge - opticians are neither optometrists nor opthamologists.

An optician should have knowledge of glasses, lens, measurements, and visual acuity disorders. This information can be delivered through a supervisor, it does not need to be on an exam-level. Market competitiveness will ensure who is the most qualified, and who brings the most value to the table.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So explain how lower the standards and effectively, lowering the pay wages, is all of a sudden going to result in a boom of new opticians appearing out of the blue? How would this make the job as an optician any more attractive than scrubbing grease fryers at McDonalds or being a greeter at Wal-Mart?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    So explain how lower the standards and effectively, lowering the pay wages, is all of a sudden going to result in a boom of new opticians appearing out of the blue? How would this make the job as an optician any more attractive than scrubbing grease fryers at McDonalds or being a greeter at Wal-Mart?
    Would you rather scrub grease fryers at McDonalds or be a greeter at Wal-Mart, or would you prefer to have a job that no one's heard?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "You don't know what you don't know." That's the problem with Opticianry. If you don't have a formal education in optics and rely on your supervisor for your education you will not know more than he does. That's already the problem with our industry where apprenticeship is the norm. There's huge information gaps, Optican to Optician. Hence, the continued dumbing down of our profession.

And once again, how would lowering standards create more jobs? I've never, ever heard "Well, I'd open an optical if I could only find an Optician". More Opticians would not equate to more locations opening to hire these opticians. Heck, the market is already oversaturated. I've got over 20 competitors within a 5 mile radius.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would you rather scrub grease fryers at McDonalds or be a greeter at Wal-Mart, or would you prefer to have a job that no one's heard?
    Rather have a job that pays me a fair wage for my experience and skills.

You have yet explain how you think lowering standards is just going to have people proclaiming "Hey! You know what sounds like a good idea?? I think I want to be an optician today!" How this job and career choice would be any better than any other career choice just by strictly lowering expectations

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    What follows is a personal observation and opinion and should not, in any way, be taken to disparage or demean any individual or organization.
    It is intended solely for the amusement of the reader

Over the years, the job description of "optician" has changed rather dramatically. Historically, up until about fifty years ago, the craft of optician was pretty much self regulating i.e.. no government or corporate control. Each optician stood on his own two feet and was solely responsible for his business success or failure. Under this system only the competent survived. Apprentices were carefully selected and trained to the standards of the business owner and not some outside agency. It worked real good and the optician was a well respected and well recompensed member of the community.

There was no division of labor among the craft. A journeyman optician could repair and modify all types of frames and mountings and other appliances such as ptosis crutches and moisture chambers. He was also the "go-to" guy who fit and adapted contact lenses. He was familiar with and in most cases performed all surfacing, edging and finishing operations. Above all he had to be able to interpret an RX and make the appropriate lens and frame/mounting selection to meet the customers visual needs. The dispensing optician worked independently but had a strong relationship with the Ophthalmologist. All was well in the opticians vineyard.

But then, disaster struck. Actually it didn't strike but it was like when the camel sticks his nose into your tent. Little by little outside influences began to exert their influences, They were many and each can be the subject for later discussion, but briefly, outside influences began to make inroads into the business and many of the entrepreneurs in the craft left the field, seeing the hand writing on the wall. Corporate interests in the retail end of the business and the elimination of the independent wholesaler from the supply chain led to drastic changes in the manner in which the "old style" optician managed his business process. We also saw the introduction of "third party payers" and managed care.

In order to ameliorate these changes the optician sought relief through outside means such as licensing regulations and formal education. Licensing was and is a failed effort to restrain trade and improve the quality of care and formal education was the delegation of learning to an outside source beyond the needs or requirements of the business owner. There were also many social changes afoot, such as the demise of the single wage earner households that contributed to the changing times.

So, in todays optical vineyard, we find dispensers, bench opticians, lab rats, order clerks, insurance clerks, stylists, sales clerks, and Indian chiefs. We find graduates of two year optical programs and high school drop-outs all performing the same jobs.

The Craft of Opticianry is going to Hell in a handbasket. Abandon hope all ye who enter!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This OP makes sense in only one area. We do need to break down the walls that exist between some states. To do that means that we must have similar training and background across all jurisdictions, and we should include unlicensed states as well. But I wonder if he or she is merely a shill for a corporate entity that wants to eliminate requirements in those states with licensure? Some folks hide behind fake names and tell us little about themselves for a reason. Where the OP is wrong is in reducing already non-existent requirements on most states. The only way to do that is to open it up to those with high school diploma, and that will certainly not be beneficial. Research has indicated clearly that apprenticeship has been eliminated in every other health-related field except Opticianry because it was an inefficient delivery mechanism that did not achieve the level of training necessary. In another thread, he or she was arguing salary levels for Opticians with me, and quoted BLS, which is widely know as less-than-accurate data that does not take into consider a number of extraneous factors. They will not want specific links to said research, but I have little time to waste, so I encourage them to look it up if they wish.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    What follows is a personal observation and opinion and should not, in any way, be taken to disparage or demean any individual or organization.
    It is intended solely for the amusement of the reader

Over the years, the job description of "optician" has changed rather dramatically. Historically, up until about fifty years ago, the craft of optician was pretty much self regulating i.e.. no government or corporate control. Each optician stood on his own two feet and was solely responsible for his business success or failure. Under this system only the competent survived. Apprentices were carefully selected and trained to the standards of the business owner and not some outside agency. It worked real good and the optician was a well respected and well recompensed member of the community.

There was no division of labor among the craft. A journeyman optician could repair and modify all types of frames and mountings and other appliances such as ptosis crutches and moisture chambers. He was also the "go-to" guy who fit and adapted contact lenses. He was familiar with and in most cases performed all surfacing, edging and finishing operations. Above all he had to be able to interpret an RX and make the appropriate lens and frame/mounting selection to meet the customers visual needs. The dispensing optician worked independently but had a strong relationship with the Ophthalmologist. All was well in the opticians vineyard.

But then, disaster struck. Actually it didn't strike but it was like when the camel sticks his nose into your tent. Little by little outside influences began to exert their influences, They were many and each can be the subject for later discussion, but briefly, outside influences began to make inroads into the business and many of the entrepreneurs in the craft left the field, seeing the hand writing on the wall. Corporate interests in the retail end of the business and the elimination of the independent wholesaler from the supply chain led to drastic changes in the manner in which the "old style" optician managed his business process. We also saw the introduction of "third party payers" and managed care.

In order to ameliorate these changes the optician sought relief through outside means such as licensing regulations and formal education. Licensing was and is a failed effort to restrain trade and improve the quality of care and formal education was the delegation of learning to an outside source beyond the needs or requirements of the business owner. There were also many social changes afoot, such as the demise of the single wage earner households that contributed to the changing times.

So, in todays optical vineyard, we find dispensers, bench opticians, lab rats, order clerks, insurance clerks, stylists, sales clerks, and Indian chiefs. We find graduates of two year optical programs and high school drop-outs all performing the same jobs.

The Craft of Opticianry is going to Hell in a handbasket. Abandon hope all ye who enter!
    Some see it as more than a craft, and this is not 1949. We can be more than someone who makes a pretty pair of glasses, and expand our horizons if we will.

Thread Information