Thread: Ethics

Bad address email on file

Question

I've been referring my customers who need exams to other area ODs...and getting good feed back from them regarding the exam and the Optometrists themselves. Since I know these Optometrists ( having worked with them on occasion ) I know they're happy for the patients I send them. Although I don't advertise this ( only word of mouth ), I usually deduct the cost of the exam from their frame and lens purchase ( when they bring the script back to me ). Does any one know of any ethical barriers being crossed over regarding this type of thing? I know some " retail opticals " that also do this on occasion, and very successful at it. I'm concerned about any possible legal ramifications.
    I have had an Optometrist here in my store for 3 days a week and will soon be going to work for the Vista ( WalMart ) outfit. Since my OD is only 3 years out of Optometry School, there is no network of buddy ODs that I could possibly connect with to help me out. Any one have any ideas on the subject? I'd really would like some opinions. Always good to here from fellow Optiboarders. Thanks!

Eyecon

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

I do know that It is illegal (unethical too if the word is still in the language) for a prescriber to offer to discount his fee if the Rx is filled in his shop. Probably illegal for him to discount the cost of glasses (if done to promote sale, instead of professional courtesy or indigent help) on condition of being done in his shop (see Eyeglass 1).

If no economic tie exists (beyond mutual back scratching)between precriber and Rx filler probably it is O.K.

But as a practical matter very few people worry about either the law or ethics on this subject (except when it is to thier advantage) anymore.

Chip (who still cares) Anderson

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This law varies from state to state. Here in Florida, there have been a number of problems with "free eye exams" (just ask EGW).

However, if the OD or MD OWNS the optical shop as well as the practice, then YES, he can offer free or discounted eye exams....it's his business!

Now, you have a Dr. on site. Can you offer a discount for materials based on exams...NO!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd be careful, if you discount only for Rx's from certain docs and not across the board.

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diane offers a very good point. As I was starting to say, if you have an in house OD, you can't offer discounts on glasses based on exams unless you offer it to everybody on all exams.

In over 25 years in the business, I've never offered to discount off the price of the exam.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

The way I've usually seen this discount "scheme" operated is thus:
    1.) You get an exam and pay the fee ($65, lets say)
    2.) You get a corresponding discount in the optical (therefore, the exam is full price and any discount is on the glasses)

The questions I would worry about concern Medicare. In other words, if you give the discount to non-Medicare patients, you better give it to Medicare patients.

Also, some MDs have been known to only charge for a refraction if the patient asks for a copy of the Rx. This is very likely illegal (although I've heard of this being done in many MD offices).

Pete

Thread Information