Thread: Tablet Optical Measuring?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Tablet Optical Measuring?

Anyone using tablets for optical fitting measurements? What are the best? Any reasonably priced?
    Last edited by Speed; 02-25-2016 at 11:19 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use iCapture from Nikon. It's an ipad4 based system. I do use and recommend the Nikon progressive line (brand recognition alone usually sells itself)-but you can use the measurements for any free form design. It's quite a wow factor for patients. Not sure the price as I got coupons from Nikon for progressive lens orders which paid for the iCapture.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyeyes View Post
    I use iCapture from Nikon. It's an ipad4 based system. I do use and recommend the Nikon progressive line (brand recognition alone usually sells itself)-but you can use the measurements for any free form design. It's quite a wow factor for patients. Not sure the price as I got coupons from Nikon for progressive lens orders which paid for the iCapture.
    Thanks but I do not wish to promote someone elses brand. Too often they take them back.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have seen good reviews for the Optikam system but have yet to acquire it myself.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin.B View Post
    I have seen good reviews for the Optikam system but have yet to acquire it myself.
    I am in conversation with them. They are buddies with Hoya , but just buddies. Looks like all anyone would want from this type of system. I'd still like to see more of them that arent lab or lens obligatory.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we use SpecTech from Walman. Its ipad based. had it for a year now. Id say it was worth the 2k buy in. Its def paid for itself in a month or 2.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    we use SpecTech from Walman. Its ipad based. had it for a year now. Id say it was worth the 2k buy in. Its def paid for itself in a month or 2.
    Is that tied to ordering from or promoting walman?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We tried 4 different systems over the past 3 years. None and I mean NONE were up to scratch. (sadly, I can't recall the names of any off the cuff so I know this ends up being highly subjective).

But I wouldn't waste a dime on any of them till they can consistently determine so much as a PD, let alone a seg, and do so quickly. It would be a bonus if they could beat me at GO! as well. ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it is not tied to anyone.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    There is a new one in beta now called automeyes. Its web based and includes access to a full frame database. The best part I saw is that its free to get started with and has a monthly subscription with different levels depending on what you want. they are working out the kinks still but I have used and seen the proof of concept and its accuracy was humbling for me, and Ive been doing this for 20 years. You can ask Matt if you want to see it in person, his email is sales@automeyes.com and tell him John from Vision Consultants sent you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This whole "accuracy" thing raises a question:

Just how does any individual evaluate the accuracy of the values rendered by these devices? Are you comparing it to "your" measurements?

How do you know your measurements are "accurate"?

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I tested it, and had some employees test it (All NYS opticians with 10+ years of experience). Basically we took measurements on the patient, then we used the app we were all within a mm or so of each other. The inventor filed a patent on this and because of that he is comfortable to discuss how the measurements are taken. I'm not saying it gets rid of the need for experts but just across the border in a non license state like PA I doubt it can be much worse.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So...a 1mm variance represents accuracy?

Help me here.

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I think if you lined up 10 opticians and had all 10 take segs, the variation would be more than 1mm. In my instance I would measure a 17 seg, it would come out 16.86mm or 17.24mm well within the 1mm resolution of a pd stick. The PDS were within that same margin from a pupilometer. Consider that even the same person taking the same measurement will see variation, and even those who mark the lenses, can also see minor changes. I would say sub 1mm accuracy is pretty good.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionconsultofny View Post
    I think if you lined up 10 opticians and had all 10 take segs, the variation would be more than 1mm. In my instance I would measure a 17 seg, it would come out 16.86mm or 17.24mm well within the 1mm resolution of a pd stick. The PDS were within that same margin from a pupilometer. Consider that even the same person taking the same measurement will see variation, and even those who mark the lenses, can also see minor changes. I would say sub 1mm accuracy is pretty good.
    I would agree. But although pupil heights can be ascertained well with tablets, the actual seg or progressive height will still vary with tailoring to habit, choice and posture. With PDs, objective measurements, such as tablets take, are fine (usable) to slightly less than 1mm prescion for SV and segmented lenses. But for true intermediate utility and comfort in progressives, only a proper raw, subjective measurement, adjusted for monocular NC convergence/fixation distance and RX prism can be considered a "gold" standard. And no current tablet technology that I am aware of can do that.

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I agree with you, but tools like this are useful in states and areas where being an optician is a self defined notion. For instance today I had a client call with a seg of 37, and a B of 31...that dispenser needs an app

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Visionconsultofny View Post
    I agree with you, but tools like this are useful in states and areas where being an optician is a self defined notion. For instance today I had a client call with a seg of 37, and a B of 31...that dispenser needs an app
    Or maybe this measurement was from the app....:)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    So...a 1mm variance represents accuracy?

Help me here.

B
    I have found free I-phone type apps that can provide accurate measurements of I-phone type photographs. As accurate as the MM ruler in the photograph. Not really that high tech. On line opticals will soon be providing cut outs in magazine adds that give relative measurements. As good as most opticians.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok... so odd question. I don't have an app or any special systems so I really don't know. Is it still easy to get incorrect measurements with these systems and apps if you have an inexperienced new optician. For example head tilt ect. I suspect that you can have wrong measurements with or without these systems if you have a bad optician.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use the optikam app and would highly recommend getting it. I have found the Optikam app to be extremely accurate and takes no longer to use then manually measuring.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    We tried 4 different systems over the past 3 years. None and I mean NONE were up to scratch. (sadly, I can't recall the names of any off the cuff so I know this ends up being highly subjective).

But I wouldn't waste a dime on any of them till they can consistently determine so much as a PD, let alone a seg, and do so quickly. It would be a bonus if they could beat me at GO! as well. ;)
    This surprises me. Not. In our tech addicted world, there will always be tasks humans can do better than computers. Sometimes adding a computer to a task makes it harder, not easier.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The main problem in machine learning is figuring out how to teach a machine to do something, once you know how to teach the computer, it will almost always outperform humans at any task that isn't emotional in nature.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

And no current tablet technology that I am aware of can do that.

B

...................and probably never will

Thread Information