Thread: If the Crizal+UV coating Blocks UV, how does Transitions lenses darken under it?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

If the Crizal+UV coating Blocks UV, how does Transitions lenses darken under it?

I would love a good explanation on this.
    thanks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Me too

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It doesn't block the UV wavelength that triggers the transitions lenses to darken?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The UV coating on Crizal is backside only so that UV light can't bounce off the back surface of the lens and back into the eye and is instead absorbed into the coating. Therefore, the front side UV light that activates Transitions is still able to pass through unimpeded.
    Last edited by jpways; 02-18-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: corrections for grammar and clarity

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    The UV coating on Crizal is backside only so that UV light can't bounce off the back surface of the lens and back into the eye and is instead absorbed into the coating. Therefore, the front side UV light that activates Transitions is still able to pass through unimpeded.
    +1. All Crizal UV treatments are backside coatings designed to eliminate reflected UV. I'm not saying it makes a ton of sense, just telling you what I know.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Very simple solution: =======>

Very simple solution: =======> send in some UV light and measure what comes out on the other end.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Very simple solution: =======> send in some UV light and measure what comes out on the other end.
    Even if this is a 1.50 Plastic lens would that show anything?
    Since it's Transitions it should have 0% UV transmission, independent of whether there is a Crizal coating or not (assuming that Transitions advertising is completely correct and it absorbs 100% of UVA and UVB).

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When Big E introduced the "Backside UV" a few years ago I recall at least one lively discussion about how the UV protection is not necessarily in the coating but that because the AR is on the back surface light now passes through the back and out the front surface.

Anyone else remember this and was it debunked?

Couldn't find it in my quick search but it does stand out as a beware of marketing!!!

The light has to be reflected. An old spectral transmission chart from Opticampus and the dirty little UV transmission secret on most materials-

http://www.opticampus.com/tools/tran...e.php?number=0
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-18-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If memory serves, Crizal made the change as they found that most (all?) previous designs of AR on the back of a lens actually reflected UV frequencies. On the front surface: advantage. On the back surface (most always concave), this could somewhat concentrate reflected UV and direct it back towards the eye and adnexa. Hence, they altered their stack to minimize the backside UV reflective properties. Win.

Then, everyone and their dog ran to catch up with their own AR.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper UV transmission in plastic materials is stopped by UV absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post

Even if this is a 1.50 Plastic lens would that show anything?
    Since it's Transitions it should have 0% UV transmission, independent of whether there is a Crizal coating or not (assuming that Transitions advertising is completely correct and it absorbs 100% of UVA and UVB).
    Lens materials:

Glass: Crown glass
    Flint

Plastic: CR39
    Polycarbonate
    High index materials

UV transmission in plastic materials is stopped by UV absorbers that work at different wavelengths from 280 nm to 400 nm. Polycarbonate does all of it. CR 39 depending on what absorbance you want.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uh.....

Transmission and reflection be DIFFERENT yo.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Transmission and reflection be DIFFERENT yo....................

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

Uh.....

Transmission and reflection be DIFFERENT yo.

Correct ........................

However AR coatings do not reflect 100% of the light hitting the surface, they are reflecting a small percentage to eliminate small visible reflexes on the surface.

The large majority of light rays still goes right through the coating, the lens and transmits them right into the eye. Therefore you still need absorbance of unwanted rays in your lens material.

AR coatings are not the answer to all problems, they are more of a cosmetic patch for the ones who like it and have the money to pay for it.

If you really want a do it all Anti-Reflex surface get a full fledged mirror coating.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry - you completely missed the point of the lens the OP asked about.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Correct ........................

However AR coatings do not reflect 100% of the light hitting the surface, they are reflecting a small percentage to eliminate small visible reflexes on the surface.

The large majority of light rays still goes right through the coating, the lens and transmits them right into the eye. Therefore you still need absorbance of unwanted rays in your lens material.

AR coatings are not the answer to all problems, they are more of a cosmetic patch for the ones who like it and have the money to pay for it.

If you really want a do it all Anti-Reflex surface get a full fledged mirror coating.
    Am I missing something here? AR coatings are not applied to REFLECT light but to allow light to pass through by way of reducing internal reflections..It is definitely not just a cosmetic patch for the rich....but I'm sure you know this??

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I know all that, learned it when ..........................

An anti reflective or anti-reflection (AR) coating is a type of optical coating applied to the surface of lenses and other optical elements to reduce reflection. In typical imaging systems, this improves the efficiency since less light is lost. In complex systems such as a telescope, the reduction in reflections also improves the contrast of the image by elimination of stray light. This is especially important in planetary astronomy. In other applications, the primary benefit is the elimination of the reflection itself, such as a coating on eyeglass lenses that makes the eyes of the wearer more visible to others, or a coating to reduce the glint from a covert viewer's binoculars or telescopic sight.

I know all that, learned it when I got my first LEICA IIIc camera with a coated Elmar lens and still own the last Leica Reflex ever made that has not seen a 35mm film in 20 years.

Thread Information