Thread: Kappa Trouble

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Kappa Trouble

During the midst of opening a new practice, bought a kappa edger. I have worked with kappas in the past, and was looking forward to having something I could easily set up and just run.

The machine was supposedly in production up til a month or so before we purchased it. It sat in the Doctor's kitchen on her table for 3 months as the rebuild was shaping up, before we got it to the office.

Initial plug n play revealed that the stylus of the tracer was stuck, unable to move up and down. After speaking with folks at both Stereo Optical, and Coburn (along with the doc we bought it from) we used some 2 in 1 oil to try and get the stylus to move. No luck.

I eventually used pliers and manual muscle to get the stylus to release. Unfortunately there was a ring of rust on the stylus and it still needed manual assistance to rise up or go down on trace.

Over the course of the next several weeks, I alternately used a rust penetrating spray/oil, and alcohol to try and draw the rust out. I have the stylus moving, but it is still delayed on the return (down) and causes it to error before completing the trace.

Speaking with the powers that be at both Coburn (original distributor) and Stereo (current Essilor support US) we were advised to replace the tracer table assembly. We went with a rebuild from Stereo that was modified, and required the purchase of a new communications cable to plug into the tracer motherboard. (X95 model. Early....kappa.)

All the cables were labeled, and even if they weren't, the number of pins, slot size, etc makes it rather difficult to think I could have this connected incorrectly. However when I try to start the machine after replacing, we get a grinding sound and the table won't move side to side. Errors come us as N3 C6 2/2.

I called Stereo to ask if it was possible I missed some sort of connection, or a plate/wire/screw/something that would prevent the table from moving. They assured me that I did not miss anything, and sent another rebuilt table.

Same freaking errors. N3 C6 2/2.

I am now being advised that since the machine had obviously been exposed to moisture with the rust ring, that its possible that one of the encoder chips or interface board is bad. Being an early edition, parts are limited and to replace would be over $5k if they can even source the part.

Previous owner is still insisting that i should have had rep install, that I must be connecting something wrong. (This is my 4th Kappa install/move)

Is there something I am overlooking? Is it possible to have installed the table wrong? I am frustrated that he keeps telling the doc that this is why we should have had a rep drive 4 hours to install something that should have been plug n play to begin with. (expense over $1k.) I am willing to swallow my pride if it means that I have an edger that works. So if there is something I am overlooking, or a way to wire this incorrectly and have it power on and attempt to move, please let me know.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I may have access to a tracer for you. The screen is going bad, but it may have the parts you need. I believe it's an m95, and they are in the process of replacing the whole system. I can call them tomorrow. Probably cheap also.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I had a similar situation many moons ago. I seem to recall one of the frame clamps was damaged so the tracer would just grind attempting to secure frame. In addition the black end piece was missing as well so just fabricated a similar piece. The machine was sent back for repair so not sure how it was fixed

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, forgot about this. Edger says n95, I'm not in that office, but that's what they told me came up on the screeen. They would be open to selling the tracer ( bad screen).

Thread Information