Thread: Juggling customers

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Juggling customers

In a perfect world customer flow would come through our doors in an orderly fashion. Unfortunately it could be dead one moment and insanely busy an hour later. Some traffic ends up leaving with out being served. You try to acknowledge every one and tell them you will be with them shortly. You have an instinct which interactions will result in a sale now or in the future.Should you start weeding out the best potential prospects as diplomatically as you can and optimize your time or just first come first served?

i.e.
    1) internet frame research
    2) Been in the neighbourhood shops for the last several months and has already eaten up plenty of your time
    3) competitor scalping frame selection
    4) just kicking tires
    5) looking for a deal that doesn't exist
    etc. etc.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I moved from my "professional" offices 3 years ago into a mall setting. I get exactly what you are saying. It's the price of success that comes from becoming visible. If our dispensary is "full" meaning we have no more help to serve any more at the same time, we give them the option to wait in the reception area, come back later, or make an appointment. We do not allow unassisted frame browsing. With that policy we get some sour grapes yelp reports, but only from people who didn't buy anything. I can live with getting good reviews from people who bought and not good from people who like to browse for a living/hobby.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Although some customers will ultimately lead to a non sale interaction, every customer is a potential sale. Everyone deserves the same attention weather they are going to buy something or not. Clearly there are some time sync situations where the customer just needs professional therapy (someone to talk to). If we are swamped with customers, the conversation is clearly off topic and the customer has already stated they are not interested in purchasing something today, I will excuse myself from the conversation to help the next person in line. It's important to be empathetic. It's tough in this day and age to make clear, concise decisions. If you are in a financial position to purchase eyewear (insurance or not) then it's much easier to make a decision when you can try on frames and get the feel for your eyewear. You can talk to a (hopefully) informed and knowledgeable person about the lens options available. Well, at least you'll have a much better chance of success if you talk to someone knowledgeable. But what if your customer is not in a comfortable financial position to make those decisions? Should they be cast out or treated differently or worse then someone you can create revenue from? Do they also deserve to be informed about the decisions they have to make? Just a reminder that those decisions will be much more difficult. The consequences of a decision, when you cannot afford to make mistakes, are much more severe. Also, there are cases where the customer may not have the income at the moment but will remember that you spent time with them and treated them as a person and not a waste of time. When they are in a better financial position they are more likely to mcome back to you instead of someone else. With that in mind I try to help those that NEED help equally as those that don't. Will I make as much money as I would at the end of the day if I brush off a time sync? Yes. Will I sleep as well at night if I treat everyone differently? You bet ( I have some awesome night night drugs). Will my customers sleep as well as I? If they have the same drugs then yes, but I still try to do my best to help everyone and treat everyone as an equal regardless of income, race creed, religion, smell blah blah blah blah

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just as an addendum Ive been yelled at for juggling for customers. sooooooo there's that to

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is why I am thankful my store is in a military location, even when we do get slammed people here are used to waiting. It's always been a first come first serve type of operation but if someone is taking a significant time looking at frames and I have others waiting I will politely excuse myself to help the others as well.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    when I didn't juggle customers the right way the other day, a few frames went missing.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You should be in charge of the customers access to your goods and services. Did you ever hear of a waiting room (sorry I mean a client lounge) with perhaps a buffet and some cheap wine? How about one of those take a number thingies like they have in the deli. Cripes, even the deli makes you wait your turn. Try picking through the diamonds on your own at the jewelers or schlepping through the inventory at your local gun shop.

You have to triage your traffic. Got a script and need a couple of pairs - come right in. Need an adjustment for your Wannaby Parkers - have a seat, someone might be with you as soon as we get a break in the action and everyone has had lunch.

Everyone who crosses your threshold ain't equal.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unless you work by an appointed schedule, then first come first serve would be the most fair. I try to assist all of our customers personally. I try to acknowledge everyone and I inform them of the situation and that I will be with them as soon as possible. I generally don't like people coming in and trying product on without the staffs attention. If I have a frame in mind for someone that I'm assisting, I can't have a customer picking it up and putting it down in a location unknown to me.
    If they try to interrupt me I inform them that everyone deserves the same level of care and attention and that I will give them the same attention when I get to them.
    Once I get to them and discover that they are Optical Vampires, I explain that I can give them them between 5 to 10 minutes of my time. Optical Vampires are here to suck us dry from information and our time. Everyone gets them, we just have to be able to identify them. If someone has waited for me they still deserve to be treated fairly but I'm not going to give them more then 10 minutes. I heard of an optician that utilized a 10 minute sand glass, when the bottom half filled up their time over.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    You should be in charge of the customers access to your goods and services. Did you ever hear of a waiting room (sorry I mean a client lounge) with perhaps a buffet and some cheap wine? How about one of those take a number thingies like they have in the deli. Cripes, even the deli makes you wait your turn. Try picking through the diamonds on your own at the jewelers or schlepping through the inventory at your local gun shop.

You have to triage your traffic. Got a script and need a couple of pairs - come right in. Need an adjustment for your Wannaby Parkers - have a seat, someone might be with you as soon as we get a break in the action and everyone has had lunch.

Yes but....
    Deli's and diamond & derringer dealers make up but a small part of the total consumer buying experience today. You should not measure your cleint's shopping experience after these last-millenium metrics.

What B&M opticals are really competing with is the choice, convenience and confidence that buyers increasingly have with online, particularly Amazon. If you keep triaging your clients, making them wait for small repairs, adjustments or questions, they'll go to their phones and tablets, where the eyeglass stores are better stocked, better priced and full of enough information that most shoppers can make an informed buying decision.

Just my two cents.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-02-2016 at 09:35 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

I like this......everybody is so afraid of offending someone by not adhering to people as soon as they deem necessary. I believe that you get to know your neighbourhood and the people who you see in an optical. This is an acquired skill in being aware of who is here and what they need. As the top dispensing optician in my practice, I find really personalizing an experience and acknowledging that people are here goes such a long way. Shake a hand, let them know you see them and ensure they will be dealt with in a timely manner. People will appreciate that more than we realize.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think "juggling" is the right word. I think "triage" encapsulates what is going on better. Any competent medical provider, including ECPs should triage patients so they can do the most good for the most people.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First come first served.Just remember every interaction with a potential counts,whether they buy something at the time or not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wileyguy View Post
    First come first served.Just remember every interaction with a potential counts,whether they buy something at the time or not.
    Overly simplistic, IMHO.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    just as an addendum Ive been yelled at for juggling for customers. sooooooo there's that to
    The one's who "yell" are usually the one's that are hard to please.

Get real.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The one's who "yell" are usually the one's that are hard to please.

Get real.

B
    just to clarify, it was my boss who yelled at me for juggling for the customers. It's all about the management experience not the customer experience I guess. Seriously he pulled me into the back and yelled at me .... for juggling..... so I don't juggle for customers, it was kind of a play on words because of the title.

Thread Information