Optical Laboratory Technician
    but all of those look awful...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I guess the future is ugly.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The future ain't yet! The future will eliminate art, design and craftsmanship in favor of "now" and "cheap."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Nah, the future is that new lens they can implant that can adapt to just about any Rx and give the user 20/5 vision at any distance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.collective-evolution.com/...ision-forever/ Shazam! Ill get my resume ready for a new job I guess

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yep, that's it. If it ends up working as well as they think it will, it really will be a game changer. The optical field will really experience a severe contraction, but will still exist, for people under 25, people who aren't surgical candidates (there have to be some outliers), people who don't believe in that kind of surgery, people who would rather wear glasses (weirdos...), and those who can't afford the surgery

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a technology that exists to use a hologram of the head and then build a frame to match the face; that is sort-of cool but it needs to get traction and that will be tough.

I know the future of lenses is platform based to su why would frames be any different? This will develop into a usable model in the future when it is platform based and the platform can add value to the offerings.
    That is the future of all business models; platform based with value added by participants to shake out the ones who offer no value.

Craig
    President
    Automatic Lens System Inc.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper So instead of dreaming about an unknown future, .....................

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

The future ain't yet! The future will eliminate art, design and craftsmanship in favor of "now" and "cheap."

......................and the future might not ever come. If some of the now suffering countries, financial or physical, from China to to the Middle East and Russia will act up and shoot down the right satellites, we will be back into the middle ages.

No more communications, no more Optiboard and Internet. No more cell phones. No more electricity, no more light in your Lensometer. Back to candle light.

You will be back to neutralize the power of lenses by hand and make your frames from wood with a jig saw, and grind your lenses on a hand edger operated by a foot pedal. Heat your frames over a wood stove.

So instead of dreaming about an unknown future, also get to know your past and know what to do if you will be thrown that way.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    There is a technology that exists to use a hologram of the head and then build a frame to match the face; that is sort-of cool but it needs to get traction and that will be tough.

I know the future of lenses is platform based to su why would frames be any different? This will develop into a usable model in the future when it is platform based and the platform can add value to the offerings.
    That is the future of all business models; platform based with value added by participants to shake out the ones who offer no value.

Craig
    President
    Automatic Lens System Inc.
    Can you please elaborate on 'platform model is the future of all business models' - what exactly does that mean? Different avenues? Pricing options? Ordering and delivery methods?

In the large corporate world, cookie cutter solutions have always been the main offering for most businesses in any industry and is good for the masses which I would estimate is 70-80% of whatever market arena one plays in.

For the other 20-30%, value-add solutions which already exist in today's business world comes in many forms and is not perceived the same by everyone. The value-add solution in my opinion is where one takes away the pain by simplifying a process without additional cost to a customer, hence making their their life much easier without sacrificing quality.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ......................and the future might not ever come. If some of the now suffering countries, financial or physical, from China to to the Middle East and Russia will act up and shoot down the right satellites, we will be back into the middle ages.

No more communications, no more Optiboard and Internet. No more cell phones. No more electricity, no more light in your Lensometer. Back to candle light.

You will be back to neutralize the power of lenses by hand and make your frames from wood with a jig saw, and grind your lenses on a hand edger operated by a foot pedal. Heat your frames over a wood stove.

So instead of dreaming about an unknown future, also get to know your past and know what to do if you will be thrown that way.
    Probable in small doses, but not globally in one swoop. (Armageddon and any other end of the world theories not included)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper I believe the USA invented and owns the Internet ....................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Probable in small doses, but not globally in one swoop. (Armageddon and any other end of the world theories not included)

I believe the USA invented and owns the Internet and keeps tab on it.

So a small dose would most probably happen in North America which would be enough for plenty of trouble, just let the imagination go.

Occupation
    Here is a good article on the history of the Internet straight from the horses mouth.

http://www.internetsociety.org/inter...story-internet

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I believe the USA invented and owns the Internet and keeps tab on it.

So a small dose would most probably happen in North America which would be enough for plenty of trouble, just let the imagination go.
    There is always the threat from global hackers on any country and/or government agency, which has happened recently and is quite embarrassing for them I'm sure.

A successful attack that would cripple the globe in one single attempt? Although it seems plausible, I don't feel it is likely.

That said, its never a bad idea to keep our 'old' skills sharp just in case of a major outage.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I believe the USA invented and owns the Internet and keeps tab on it...
    Not owned by us any longer, there has long been, and continues to be, a process of devolution regarding the ownership and stewardship of the internet. We no longer hold all the keys.

Thread Information