Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is part of their regional Opticians organization?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren, you've used, many times, Optometry as an example of educate then legislate. Let me tell you a story out of my family that will maybe shed some light on why those Opticians went further to educate themselves prior to seeking state licensure;

My Great Uncle was an Optician and jeweler ( common at the turn of the century) in southern Illinois. The area was very rural, no eye doctors around, but there was a need for the area. He went to a "refractometry school" to learn to perform the service. There were financial incentives to do so. That's why he, and other Opticians pursued said education: need coupled with financial reward upon investing in the time and money doing so.

Fast forward to today. There are no incentives for Opticians to pursue a formal education, especially in non-licensed states. There is no proverbial "carrot at the end of the stick".

I've asked this many times before from the "educate then legislate" crowd and have yet to hear a plausible, practical and realist way that could ever happen with today's Optician. I'd love to hear it, either from you, or others that feel the same way. On the other hand, I can give you a plausible, practical and realist way to further Opticianry, but it must require a mandatory element. There is no other way, and it's more realistic to get mandatory licensure, as difficult as it is (and yes, I know personally how difficult) than to get Opticians to freely and willingly go get a formal education. Other than mandatory licensure, the only other way would be if employers mandated it. We both know what chance that has...About as much as Opticians doing it all on their own with no incentive.

So once again, I ask you, specifically, how are we going to get Opticians into a classroom voluntarily?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We will not, as I stated in my post, George. That will not happen, so we remain in this morass of mediocrity. It is unfortunate. Enjoyed the ongoing dialogue

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In response to the original topic, there is not an optician's org near me, so I am in the process of building one in North Texas.

Yes, I am in Texas. Yes, there is an org in Houston, COAT. They are great for that part of the state. Those of us who are 6 or 8 or 10 hours away from Houston have been getting CE in Las Vegas, as it's less travel time to get there than Houston for us, which is why I am working to build an org for the rest of the state. Yes, COAT knows, we are in contact.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Warren, you've used, many times, Optometry as an example of educate then legislate. Let me tell you a story out of my family that will maybe shed some light on why those Opticians went further to educate themselves prior to seeking state licensure;

My Great Uncle was an Optician and jeweler ( common at the turn of the century) in southern Illinois. The area was very rural, no eye doctors around, but there was a need for the area. He went to a "refractometry school" to learn to perform the service. There were financial incentives to do so. That's why he, and other Opticians pursued said education: need coupled with financial reward upon investing in the time and money doing so.

Fast forward to today. There are no incentives for Opticians to pursue a formal education, especially in non-licensed states. There is no proverbial "carrot at the end of the stick".

I've asked this many times before from the "educate then legislate" crowd and have yet to hear a plausible, practical and realist way that could ever happen with today's Optician. I'd love to hear it, either from you, or others that feel the same way. On the other hand, I can give you a plausible, practical and realist way to further Opticianry, but it must require a mandatory element. There is no other way, and it's more realistic to get mandatory licensure, as difficult as it is (and yes, I know personally how difficult) than to get Opticians to freely and willingly go get a formal education. Other than mandatory licensure, the only other way would be if employers mandated it. We both know what chance that has...About as much as Opticians doing it all on their own with no incentive.

So once again, I ask you, specifically, how are we going to get Opticians into a classroom voluntarily?
    Right on. I am not familiar with what it costs to go to one of these Junior College optician programs but I bet that the expense doesn't pencil out for the student.

Compare the average wages of an optician with that of a CDL which costs much less and can be accomplished in a few weeks. How about spending your time getting a plumbing or electricians license.

I realize that there are some individuals making a good living in eye care but they are rewarded for their skills and talents and not credentials.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren, we share the same dream, we just differ on what path to take to get there. What ever the outcome of Opticianry I want you to know that there are very few in this field that I respect as much, and none more than you. Thank you for all you've done to try and elevate this field. Wherever we're at as a profession, we are better because of you. Take care my friend and enjoy your weekend...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    The problem is not the OD's. It goes far beyond that and as long as we seek to place the blame for the demise of the craft on others we will perpetually dwell in the darkness.

While it is a laudable pursuit, the quest for knowledge, I believe that what you are trying to do is to polish a turd by pushing "formal" education on a few hundred students a year in a job market of thousands. Joe Optometrist or the Medical Eye Care Physician and especially Acme Global Eyewear doesn't care a whit for the "credentials" of what today amounts to a clerk. They will however be interested in talent and smarts and you usually don't find those traits coming out of the Rumpelstiltskin Junior College at a non-livable wage. If a young person is willing to spend the money and the time there are a lot of more lucrative endeavors that they may pursue.

You see, this is the change that has evolved in the craft. Yes, anyone with a pulse can call themselves an "optician" and it didn't used to be that way. Unless an individual has the ability to stand on his own two feet and master the craft through formal education or apprenticeship and than practice the craft on his own terms free of the impediments of third parties be they employers, insurance companies or regulators you will dwell among the mouth breathers with pulses.

By and large it just ain't worth it today.
    Very blunt and to the point. I admire such sarcastic honesty. The point of no return has left the station along time ago. Education is an investment in yourself. I hope any young person who is considering being an optician as a career to think twice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not unless you are practicing in a licensed state. In Washington, for instance it would be fortuitous to do so.

I understand that most states have none or have a minimal ABO requirement, but that should not exclude one from pursuing knowledge. Having a solid background in fundamental/theoretical optics will only serve as an aid to practical experiences, creating a better optician.

Why are we even engaging in these trivial discussions.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Right on. I am not familiar with what it costs to go to one of these Junior College optician programs but I bet that the expense doesn't pencil out for the student.

Compare the average wages of an optician with that of a CDL which costs much less and can be accomplished in a few weeks. How about spending your time getting a plumbing or electricians license.

I realize that there are some individuals making a good living in eye care but they are rewarded for their skills and talents and not credentials.
    The average Optician makes more than a teacher in many states, and that requires a minimum of a bachelors degree. Since you clearly have no idea what you are talking about regarding the cost of typical community college, it is minimal, and the cost-benefit is there. Your thinking is archaic, and mirrors the tradesman mentality we need to get away from. Opticians need to do more, and that will require more of us.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Time for a system to help the optician do a decent job?

Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    The average Optician makes more than a teacher in many states, and that requires a minimum of a bachelors degree. Since you clearly have no idea what you are talking about regarding the cost of typical community college, it is minimal, and the cost-benefit is there. Your thinking is archaic, and mirrors the tradesman mentality we need to get away from. Opticians need to do more, and that will require more of us.
    If you think of yourself as an hourly worker than the thought of being a "professional anything" is never going to occur. I have asked my staff over the years to use words like professional and the correct way to do it is so and so.

If we create a tool that allows poorly trained opticians to offer the correct solutions for the patient have we gone forward or backward in thinking?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Will, take a look at these figures. The average teacher salary is higher than the average optician salary in every state.

State Average Salary
    Alabama $47,949
    Alaska $65,468
    Arizona $49,885
    Arkansas $46,631
    California $69,324
    Colorado $49,844
    Connecticut $69,397
    Delaware $59,679
    Florida $46,598
    Georgia $52,880
    Hawaii $54,300
    Idaho $49,734
    Illinois $59,113
    Indiana $50,065
    Iowa $50,946
    Kansas $47,464
    Kentucky $50,203
    Louisiana $51,381
    Maine $48,430
    Maryland $64,248
    Massachusetts $72,334
    Michigan $61,560
    Minnesota $56,268
    Mississippi $41,814
    Missouri $47,517
    Montana $48,855
    Nebraska $48,997
    Nevada $55,957
    New Hampshire $55,599
    New Jersey $68,797
    New Mexico $45,453
    New York $75,279
    North Carolina $45,737
    North Dakota $47,344
    Ohio $56,307
    Oklahoma $44,373
    Oregon $57,612
    Pennsylvania $62,994
    Rhode Island $63,474
    South Carolina $48,375
    South Dakota $39,018
    Tennessee $47,563
    Texas $48,819
    Utah $49,393
    Vermont $52,526
    Virginia $48,670
    Washington $52,234
    West Virginia $45,453
    Wisconsin $53,797
    Wyoming $56,775

State Annual mean wage
    Alabama $30,430
    Alaska $39,290
    Arizona $32,620
    Arkansas $28,680
    California $37,460
    Colorado $35,660
    Connecticut $52,180
    Delaware $36,420
    D.C. $35,360
    Florida $37,170
    Georgia $35,110
    Hawaii $42,310
    Idaho $26,190
    Illinois $30,090
    Indiana $27,870
    Iowa $27,700
    Kansas $26,170
    Kentucky $33,450
    Louisiana $29,850
    Maine $32,520
    Maryland $35,340
    Massachusetts $49,690
    Michigan $32,210
    Minnesota $36,140
    Mississippi $29,220
    Missouri $26,580
    Montana $28,150
    Nebraska $25,760
    Nevada $37,830
    New Hampshire $38,410
    New Jersey $49,130
    New Mexico $30,520
    New York $45,940
    North Carolina $36,380
    North Dakota $28,070
    Ohio $34,250
    Oklahoma $24,000
    Oregon $35,950
    Pennsylvania $32,820
    Puerto Rico $27,030
    Rhode Island $39,870
    South Carolina $33,720
    South Dakota $27,760
    Tennessee $32,290
    Texas $27,630
    Utah $30,700
    Vermont $35,440
    Virginia $46,540
    Washington $39,400
    West Virginia $27,030
    Wisconsin $30,190
    Wyoming $29,010

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not sure where you data comes from, but salaries for Opticians, according to my research and supported by annual NAO surveys are significantly higher than what you report here. In my state, 40-50 is average for licensed folks some report they are Opticians when if fact that is not the case. Give up if you will, but I cannot.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends, Craig. May be two different markets/approaches.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not sure where you data comes from, but salaries for Opticians, according to my research and supported by annual NAO surveys are significantly higher than what you report here. In my state, 40-50 is average for licensed folks some report they are Opticians when if fact that is not the case. Give up if you will, but I cannot.
    Provide a link to the NAO surveys, William.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They sell them. I do not have a link. Sorry.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They sell them. I do not have a link. Sorry.
    http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/op...dispensing.htm

Take a look at the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics then, Willis.

2014 Median Pay $34,280 per year
    $16.48 per hour

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think I explained that earlier. BLS is incorrect. NAO may have an older version of their study online if you want to check. NAO studies have been widely used for years. My own research was published in Eye Care Professional. You are welcome to look them up. I am lecturing today to alarge group of NC Opticians today and tooka quick survey of their salaries, and it is 49,000.00. The managers in the room are higher. But this ongoing dialogue is of little value. You have some initial data that indicates Opticians salaires are different that those I describe. my study population came from members of NAO. BLS measures anyone called an Optician. I stand by mine, you disagree. OK.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So what folks are saying here is Opticianry, which I must assume is their field, is crappy. We do not need to know anything and don't waste your time. Am I correct? I want to improve it, despite the naysayers. Do as you wish, but it can be better if we just develop a plan. And I wonder who William is? Or Willis?
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 02-28-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    According to the Department of Labor Statistics and my local School Department Labor Contract for last year I find the following statistics.

A Dispensing Optician in Oregon will earn a mean annual salary of $34,120.00 They might receive a health insurance package and work 200 days a year.

An Elementary School teacher in my town in Southern Oregon will start out at $58,000.00 a year and can easily add an additional $10,000.00 if they also perform the duties of lunch room monitor, girls field hockey assistant coach and debating team. The health insurance plan is exempt from the ACA and therefore has very low, and in some cases, no deductibles and co-pays. The real money comes in their PERS (Public Employee Retirement Account) when after 30 years of service they will receive a monthly kiss in the mail worth a minimum of $61,500 per annum. The work schedule is for 6 hours per day - 120 days a year.

Now I do realize that some Opticians (what ever that means) make more than the $34,120.00 cited above and a lot make quite a bit less and I am sure that there are some variances in these figures from State to State.

That being said, I certainly would advised my grandchildren to spend a few more bucks of money and spend four years at the State Cow College, majoring in Education rather than a "career" as an optician earning what in many cases is somewhat below a living wage.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think I explained that earlier. BLS is incorrect. NAO may have an older version of their study online if you want to check. NAO studies have been widely used for years. My own research was published in Eye Care Professional. You are welcome to look them up. I am lecturing today to alarge group of NC Opticians today and tooka quick survey of their salaries, and it is 49,000.00. The managers in the room are higher. But this ongoing dialogue is of little value. You have some initial data that indicates Opticians salaires are different that those I describe. my study population came from members of NAO. BLS measures anyone called an Optician. I stand by mine, you disagree. OK.
    Sorry Wilson but a survey does not hold much credibility. A basic introduction to psychology course will reveal that people will exaggerate their achievements in order to impress others. Unless you provide some statistical analysis, I stand by what the government has to say. I could say I had conducted a "survey" of eye care professionals and opticians, and the results indicated that they made on average $34,000.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    And I wonder who William is? Or Willis?
    Dunno, Warren. Seems like this fellow is purposely misusing your name in an effort to be insulting.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Steve, please remove the troll from the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Dunno, Warren. Seems like this fellow is purposely misusing your name in an effort to be insulting.
    I agree; please remove the troll from the forum if it will not be respectful of anyone and is only here to cause issues with real people.
    Craig

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I agree; please remove the troll from the forum if it will not be respectful of anyone and is only here to cause issues with real people.
    Craig
    +1.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig
    +1

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess the troll thinks this is funny. It might be time to out the troll and it might not want to hear what I have to say but the next step is to contact your employer because no one could be this dumb and own a business.

Thread Information