Thread: An Odd Issue with Trivex....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Redhot Jumper An Odd Issue with Trivex....

Howdy!

I don't post very much here, but today I figured would be an awesome time to do so.

In the past week, I have had two different patients both complain about everything having a yellow hue when looking out of their glases. One patient is in a trifocal with no coatings (full wire frame), and the other is in a SV lens with Crizal Avance (drill mount). Both are in trivex, but neither have transitions or any other lens options.

The other optician in the office as well as our lab guy and I are all stumped as to why these two patients are seeing yellow, especially when we all wear trivex lenses and do not see any odd coloring.

We have all inspected the lenses in various lighting situations against a white paper background and we are not seeing any of the yellow tint that the patients are complaining of.

I have not come across this issue ever in the years I have worked in optical, and I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar issue.

FYI: these lenses are BRAND NEW. They are not aged lenses; they are recently purchased and dispensed.

Thanks in advance!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Do they experience this color shift without the glasses? Sometimes an early manifestation of a cataract is this phenomenon. Additionally, some meds can have this affect.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    One of the patients is post cateract (the trifocal wearer). They say that they see a blue-bright white when they are not wearing the glasses. As for the SV wearer, they are completely healthy with no sign of cateracts or other disorders.

My first thought with the trifocal was the cateract, but when we got the SV complaint, we decided to dig further into the lenses.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think this applies, but when I had my IOL put in I noticed a yellow hue in the vision in that eye verses my other eye that did not have a cataract or IOL. I was informed that IOL's have an amber filter put in them to help with post surgical glare. Just thought I would throw it out there in case anyone hears that complaint post cataract surgery.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Can't be the material, surely?

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think there is a definite hue to some brands of trivex, most notably for me has been Hoya which has a greenish yellow hue to it. I don't use Hoya much any more because of this and how bad their Recharge lens is (heavy blue reflections off both surfaces).

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trivex is a higher index material than CR 39, albeit not much. Perhaps they are experiencing colour fringing around objects in their peripheral vision because they are not used to the lens material? I experience a lot of chromatic aberration in my 1.67 index glasses, and it mostly looks like yellow auras around objects.

Thread Information