Thread: can anyone recommend online courses?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

can anyone recommend online courses?

I recently took the abo exam and passed, I think I would greatly benefit from taking college courses to learn more. The issue is that none of the local colleges have optician programs, the nearest city that does in 250 miles away. Do any of you have any suggestions for an online program? ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    N.A.I.T. has a very comprehensive online program. 2 yr. degree. http://www.nait.ca/program_home_89363.htm

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    there are quite a few online courses like Penn Foster Online Optician school, Durham Tech etc. There are lots of useful research paper and essays online for optician studies.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Penn Foster is nowhere near the depth and breadth needed in my opinion, and I have reviewed the material. NAIT is outstanding. I was a consultant for them for a number of years. Either Durham Tech, J. Sargent Reynolds, in Richmond VA, Hillsborough (you will need to make some trips there), or NAIT are all fine. I applaud your desire to learn more, and wish all had that same initiative. Some very experienced Opticians in Texas some years back who all thought they were pretty good, but lacked an academic credential, at least one an ABO-Master Optician. They completed the NAIT program, and to a man reported they had no idea what they did not know, which is the problem with even well-developed apprenticeships, much less the thing we call one in Opticianry. Look into any of these institutions. You will be glad you did. ABO is fine, but very basic, and you will learn so much more that will help shape your professional career.

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For NAIT you have to live in Canada? Are there any other credible online courses for the US that don't require traveling to a the campus?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You really don’t have to go beyond your own computer to get a first class education. Between Google and YouTube you can find all sorts of resources. For example:

Use Google advanced search “words” and “file type” you can search for “refractive errors filetype:ppt” and come up with over 800 PowerPoint presentations on refractive errors. You can download PowerPoints on just about everything.

Google “refractive errors” and you have over 2,000,000 resources at your disposal.

Nice thing is it doesn’t cost you a single penny and you can study anytime and anywhere.

All it takes is a little initiative on your part.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkRanger View Post
    For NAIT you have to live in Canada? Are there any other credible online courses for the US that don't require traveling to a the campus?
    NAIT is online completely and you do not have to go to the campus. The only one (as mentioned in my previous post) that requires campus attendance is Hillsborough. Durham Tech and Reynolds are completely online.

Thread Information