Thread: Blue filter vs Antireflection

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue filter vs Antireflection

Does anyone know if there really is a big difference between the blue filters out the and the anti reflection? I know that the Hoya Recharge is filter on front surface and EX3 on the back. I'd had some patients ask about the Recharge but I don't have a pair yet and have no feedback on the subject. Do most patients notice a difference between just a regular AR vs the blue filter?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    Does anyone know if there really is a big difference between the blue filters out the and the anti reflection? I know that the Hoya Recharge is filter on front surface and EX3 on the back. I'd had some patients ask about the Recharge but I don't have a pair yet and have no feedback on the subject. Do most patients notice a difference between just a regular AR vs the blue filter?
    definite difference in the residual color..the prevencia and most of the other bluelight ar's have a purple color and the recharge is the only one i know with a blue color and all have a slight yellow tint color when looking through them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reflective application vs non reflective application.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post

Reflective application vs non reflective application.

Reflective application
    So far I have not seen any clear results and spectrometer graphs of the transmission on any these lenses.

Non reflective application
    There is plenty of evidence that a good blue blocking tint will absorb 100% of blue light right up to 525 nm when done properly.

There is a need for some strong yellowish/orange base color to do that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Reflective application
    So far I have not seen any clear results and spectrometer graphs of the transmission on any these lenses.

Non reflective application
    There is plenty of evidence that a good blue blocking tint will absorb 100% of blue light right up to 525 nm when done properly.

There is a need for some strong yellowish/orange base color to do that.
    Agree, I was merely pointing out the fundamental differences between the two lens applications and their inherent distinguishing characteristics.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to the hype-

Prevencia- Selectively filters out UV and harmful blue-violet rays out, but lets the good (blue-turquoise) ones through. Has a purplish reflective color and a very pale yellowish (almost clear) cast to lens.

Recharge - Reduces blue light transmission by 10%. Bluish reflective color. Slight yellow cast

BluTech - Uses a melanin and ocular pigment in a ratio that blocks the bad blue light, but retains normal color perception. Has a yellow/amber #1 cast to lens. Material not AR based. AR is advised on the lens, but not a blue blocking one.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    According to the hype-

Prevencia- Selectively filters out UV and harmful blue-violet rays out, but lets the good (blue-turquoise) ones through. Has a purplish reflective color and a very pale yellowish (almost clear) cast to lens.

Recharge - Reduces blue light transmission by 10%. Bluish reflective color. Slight yellow cast

BluTech - Uses a melanin and ocular pigment in a ratio that blocks the bad blue light, but retains normal color perception. Has a yellow/amber #1 cast to lens. Material not AR based. AR is advised on the lens, but not a blue blocking one.

Do not forget Zeiss DuraVision Blue Protect. Blue AR on the front and Zeiss DuraVision Platinum on the back.
    Blocks about 10% of the "Blue" at 450 and more as you go lower. Blocks less as you go higher.
    Some have asked for a transmission chart. Here is a link

Also TheraBlue looks very nice as well.
    Last edited by lensgrinder; 01-10-2016 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added content

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know there are tons of others out on the market. I was simply listing the ones that have been mentioned already in this thread. I am hoping to get a sample of the TheraBlue (or other similar monomer lenses) to try. I did like my BluTech, just not the PAL design I used. (Unique. This gal likes her ADD high in the lens.)

I might try a DuraVision Blue Protect and Individual 2 combo soon too. Right now over half of the staff refuses to try Zeiss AR after having issues with Purevision :( They still don't believe me that it was an issue with the lab, and not the coating..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is another blue light lense from PFO GLOBAL called VITARIS. It's available in 1.60 and 1.74. I have a high intensity blue light pen and the VITARIS filters out as much as the BLUTECH yellow tinted lenses but it is almost clear ans the can put their standard green AR on it. just another option..

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Actually Zeiss was the first company to promote AR coatings

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post

Right now over half of the staff refuses to try Zeiss AR after having issues with Purevision :( They still don't believe me that it was an issue with the lab, and not the coating..
    Actually Zeiss was the first company to promote AR coatings on Camera lenses since the late 1935 s, that is 80 years ago:

As per Wikipedia:
    As mentioned above, natural index-matching "coatings" were discovered by Lord Rayleigh in 1886. Harold Dennis Taylor of Cooke company developed a chemical method for producing such coatings in 1904.[16][17]
    Interference-based coatings were invented and developed in 1935 by Alexander Smakula, who was working for the Carl Zeiss optics company.[18][19][20] Anti-reflection coatings were a German military secret until the early stages of World War II.[21] Katharine Burr Blodgett and Irving Langmuir developed organic anti-reflection coatings in the late 1930s.

see at: ===========>
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The inherent advantage of Material based solutions, vs. any coating or add is thickness. 2000 microns vs. 2-5 microns. You will generally see the largest effect in material based solutions, and far better attenuation (ability to tune the spectrums that are absorbed).

The coatings and addons ALL suffer from tremendous batch variation that cant easily be discerned. We have testing some coating batches to vary from 4% to 15% deterance at 420nm in the same "brand". This is consist ant with the difficulty in creating blue flash mirrors. Even CLEAR 1.60 blocks more Short Wave Blue than many of these coatings or add ons in real world tests.

The variance the material based solutions is miniscule. BluTech and Invisiblue/Therablue/UV++ have no discernible changes in effectiveness between batches. Plus they are far more effective esp. at the crucial 420nm point, where peak potential energy lies, and both exceed 80% deterrence at 420nm. Both offer greater attenuation than any coatings as well, and effectiveness drops off substantially in the Long Wave Blue spectrums as it should (there is still a chance the larger deterrence of BluTech above 459nm could negatively impact sleep, but testing hasn't been done.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've heard from a big E insider, E has produced some "white papers" that discount non E owned the "in monomer" blue blockers for those of you that drink the E flavored cool ade.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	13834I did some research on my own, and thought you might like the results.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have lots of patients that say how much more comfortable their eyes are. Personally, I have several pairs of Transition lenses that filter some of the blue light and I have a pair of Varilux X lenses that have the Smart Blue Filter built in and also have Transitions. I notice no difference in comfort though the Varilux X is my best progressive on my desktop computer as far as clarity.

Perhaps it makes more difference to younger eyes?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Clear blue filters will only effect haze caused by backlit screens. They won't give the same effect as BluTech or any anit-reflective targeting blue light.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I notice no difference in comfort though the Varilux X is my best progressive on my desktop computer as far as clarity.

Perhaps it makes more difference to younger eyes?
    Off topic, I'm very interested to hear this. I have a pair of Varilux X lenses on the way, but I strongly disliked the Varilux S.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidKincade View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	13834I did some research on my own, and thought you might like the results.
    Nice first post.

Welcome to Optiboard!!!

Thread Information