Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No charge warranty ???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper No charge warranty ???

Do you charge the customer a "handling fee" or postage or any "administrative fee" for warranty replacement of frames and/or lenses?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nope

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanks edKENdance. so do you just eat the cost of postage and time or is it built into your retail price?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    thanks edKENdance. so do you just eat the cost of postage and time or is it built into your retail price?
    It's not intentionally built in but it happens so infrequently that it's a non issue really. I would imagine whether you choose to do so would be based on what you're selling. We're a higher end shop so nickel and diming people would just feel cheap.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see. Makes sense in your case not to. We are a 90% insurance practice...we seldom, if ever, get FULL retail price for the products we dispense.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I see. Makes sense in your case not to. We are a 90% insurance practice...seldom if ever do we get FULL retail price for the products we dispense.
    In your case I would see it making sense to charge. Flat rate 10-20 bucks or something like that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    In your case I would see it making sense to charge. Flat rate 10-20 bucks or something like that.
    Agreed. We don't charge. Also doesn't happen often and if it does, frame price makes up for it, since it isn't that much.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Return/Restocking fee $15-$25 unless it's a mfgr. defect.

Doing it for the last couple of years. Have you noticed shipping charges lately?

First class is at least $3 but $10 or more isn't unusual.

Very rarely hear a complaint and if you think about it are they valuable patients going forward??? Of course there are always exceptions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we don't charge either. The warrantee is built into the cost of the glasses. All of our frames have a 1 year 1 time replacement warrantee except for dog chewing(which is not a natural death for glasses) and if they purchase td2 or an AR coating (we use crizal) they get the 2 year warrantee for scratches and stuff. We try to honor the lifetime crazing and delaminating but that's on a case by case basis.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You have to build the costs for these kinds of things (warranties and shipping) into your prices. A few years ago, I just started adding a few bucks to the price of every frame in the office to cover shipping specifically.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AngeHamm and chaoticnuetral....what about lenses and wear and tear on the edger and employee time? Do you farm everything out to a wholesale lab to edge? Shiping cost for a frame from MFG can be at least $6.. not to mention cost of shipping their product back to them. (with small 3rd party margins.....more than just a few dollars added to frame retail?)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Price your product to include all these incidental costs. This avoids later having to explain to the customer why your produce guarantee is going to cost him more money.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A "no charge" warranty should be just that...no charge. Otherwise you should state that there is a handling fee, call it a deductible or service fee whatever you want.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I charge a flat $10.00 for shipping. We have people that drive 2-4 hours to be seen and don't have the frame selection we have. If they are mailing back something for warranty replace I don't charge shipping to return the product. Also if it is a cash sale they spend a considerable amount of money then I wont charge them shipping. I will let them know I will do it as a courtesy. I would prefer not to charge anyone but I cannot include it in the cost of glasses and I ship up to 5 glasses a week sometimes so it adds up for me. I ship everything UPS and $10.00 doesn't always cover the shipping.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's what we did to TX11. The end result is a much happier customer if you provide them with a warranty that dose not have a cost. If roles were reversed, and you purchased a product, say a widget, for $500 and it broke (normal wear and tear on said widget not dog chewing) would you be happier to hear A - I will be happy to replace that at no charge for you or B - Yes you did pay $500 doallars for the product and it does come with a limited warranty it will cost 20 - 50 dollars to replace your widget. It gives people warm fuzzies and makes them want to come back when you provide them with stuff at no cost. Give them the pickle as they say. Happy customers over a long period of time equal a strong loyalty base to your services. You can be a shrewd business person and still have a strong loyalty base if you treat people with the dignity and respect they deserve. It's a difficult conversation that I would rather avoid if at all possible. Now on the other hand there are people that try to take advantage of this service but we have specific rules that must be followed for the warranty to be valid and that is communicated to manage the expectation of the customer.

This also comes down to how you want to manage your business. Can you provide world class customer service and maintain profitability? Is there a balance? Are your customers happy with policies? Does it matter if they are or not?

Being in customer service now for 20+ years as most of us have been you have a sense of how you want to be treated as a customer. Are your customers leaving with a smile when you charge them extra for a warranty? Would you leave happy having your frame replaced at no charge? Sometimes you have to have a broader perspective then dollars and cents.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    AngeHamm and chaoticnuetral....what about lenses and wear and tear on the edger and employee time? Do you farm everything out to a wholesale lab to edge? Shiping cost for a frame from MFG can be at least $6.. not to mention cost of shipping their product back to them. (with small 3rd party margins.....more than just a few dollars added to frame retail?)
    That's the cost of doing business, and of good customer service. You can't nickel and dime these things.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    That's the cost of doing business, and of good customer service. You can't nickel and dime these things.
    Tell that to Eye Med and VSP!!!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We charge a "warranty copay" of $15 for lenses and $15 for frame. Amazing how many of those fine noticeable scratches suddenly become OK when they realize there is a small costl.We dont charge the copay if under 3 months, we feel it really is a manufacturers defect. 4-12 months it really is abuse.

This warranty is across the board, both cash and insurance patients (except medicaid, which has no scratch warranty, or frame warranty in this state).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting comments...all of them

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do any defect for free and charge for any repair that is not defective. They pay 1/2 for lenses and the retail cost to replace any parts but we always ship to them for free.

Craig

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You should definitely take a look at ExclusiveOpticsUSA.com they have frames starting from (wholesale prices removed). Very satisfied with the quality. They carry all types of plastic acetate and injection frames. They are also very big in 3 piece mounts or rimless frames in titanium and stainless steel. They also carry optical supplies like nose pads, screws, cords, temple tips, bushings, caps, clothes, and much more, at an unbeatable price. The best way to reach them is over the phone at (718)261-3218. or exclusiveoptics@yahoo.com.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are in a unique position due to many of our staff, including the doctor were affiliated with a practice that is now closed. We have many patients coming to us, asking us to service their eyewear, or to take care of warranties for frames/lenses purchased from the now closed location. Some of those vendors we don't work with anymore. For most of those patients, we are charging a $10 fee to cover shipping and handling. Most vendors have been willing to allow us to order in product for warranty replacement, and send the other back for credit. We are just trying to collect our shipping costs back. Product sold through OUR location is not charged any handling fees.

I will say that its amazing that all the vendors and reps are working with us, except Marchon. "Oh, its a nike? Sorry, they have to call the customer division, explain their situation and we will direct them to a provider who can service them properly." Yeah, whatever.. bite me. Glad I ain't carrying you now suckers!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    I will say that its amazing that all the vendors and reps are working with us, except Marchon. "Oh, its a nike? Sorry, they have to call the customer division, explain their situation and we will direct them to a provider who can service them properly." Yeah, whatever.. bite me. Glad I ain't carrying you now suckers!
    Wow... That surprises me. Is that for ophthalmic Nike or Sun, or both?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Tell that to Eye Med and VSP!!!
    I know, right???? Still, keeping my customers for decades > losing a few bucks on their orders to VSP each year.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was an ophthalmic, but I was told it applied to the whole brand. They could possibly work with me on their non branded lines, but the premium labels, or however they phrased it, could not be addressed period.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Thread Information