Thread: Trivex usage in Canada?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Trivex usage in Canada?

I am working on a project and was interested in the usage of trivex in Canada. Please give me a brief overview of why or why not it is sold where you work. If you could explain any reasons why it is not more popular that would be most helpful. My store does 95% trivex but we are set up to process it and was wondering what is going up in the great north.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
    www.autolensapp.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I am working on a project and was interested in the usage of trivex in Canada. Please give me a brief overview of why or why not it is sold where you work. If you could explain any reasons why it is not more popular that would be most helpful. My store does 95% trivex but we are set up to process it and was wondering what is going up in the great north.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
    www.autolensapp.com
    Trivex is catching on quickly (finally). As a lab owner, we process between 40% - 50% of all jobs in Trivex. It is in the same ballpark pricing as poly, yet the features, benefits, and optical characteristics are so much more superior. Not to mention, we offer a full 2 year warranty against chipping, cracking on all nylon grooved and drill mount orders and includes a no charge edge polish!

My best guess is that the Canadian market is about 20-25% Trivex currently but growing quickly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Pricing at roughly the same as poly is not the norm in the NYC area. It does not meet our needs for thinness. We do not have a major problem with drill mounts cracking with poly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Pricing at roughly the same as poly is not the norm in the NYC area. It does not meet our needs for thinness. We do not have a major problem with drill mounts cracking with poly.
    Why would you choose to use poly for anything especially a drill mount?

What doesn't meet your standards for thinness? Trivex is great for +3 to -4 and the cost is almost the same in everything except stock lenses. Then we will be using 1.6 trivex (Tribrid) for over +3 to +7 and over -4 to -7 depending on decentration.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Poly does not have the same long lasting tensile strength as Trivex, nor will you get starbursts at the drill point even after 2 years of wear. It may be slightly thicker, but is still lighter by nature when it comes to specific gravity. The ideal Rx range is +4 to -4D, which 90% of Rx's fall into that category.

Also, you get much better coating adhesion vs. poly. We never see crazing with it, but see it all the time with poly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Poly does not have the same long lasting tensile strength as Trivex, nor will you get starbursts at the drill point even after 2 years of wear. It may be slightly thicker, but is still lighter by nature when it comes to specific gravity. The ideal Rx range is +4 to -4D, which 90% of Rx's fall into that category.

Also, you get much better coating adhesion vs. poly. We never see crazing with it, but see it all the time with poly.
    I'm aware of this. Thank you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm aware of this. Thank you.
    Than why do it if you know better? I am confused by your comments.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper you get starbursts at the drill point even after 2 years of wear ....................

If you would provide the service of using "Drillseal" after drilling the holes, you would never see any Starbursts in Poly anymore.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    If you would provide the service of using "Drillseal" after drilling the holes, you would never see any Starbursts in Poly anymore.
    Or just use a much better lens material!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think I'll drop out of this one since I'm not in Canada.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Not sure what geographics have to do with a lens material debate?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Or just use a much better lens material! ..........................

Or just use a much better lens material!

Lab Insight..............That is all up to you.

Poly has never been too popular in Canada, at least in the optical industry. My wife is one of those women that always have a bottle of water in polycarbonate handy wherever they go.

However when reading all the posts right here on Optiboard where some posters call a CR39 lens a cheap "Plastic" lens compared to Poly.

There must be plenty of polycarbonate lenses sold on this continent, specially for use on Drill Mounts. Even in Europe it seems to take a late foothold these days.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Lab Insight..............That is all up to you.

Poly has never been too popular in Canada, at least in the optical industry. My wife is one of those women that always have a bottle of water in polycarbonate handy wherever they go.

However when reading all the posts right here on Optiboard where some posters call a CR39 lens a cheap "Plastic" lens compared to Poly.

There must be plenty of polycarbonate lenses sold on this continent, specially for use on Drill Mounts. Even in Europe it seems to take a late foothold these days.
    Breaking old habits and patterns is more difficult than featuring an innovative product.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back to the initial question. I work at an optometrist here in Canada. We use Hoya mostly and do about 90% trivex

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    Back to the initial question. I work at an optometrist here in Canada. We use Hoya mostly and do about 90% trivex
    I provided my best estimate. There aren't many Canucks on OB anymore that will provide an answer.

Thread Information